This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Born And Raised... First Post....

celiacuser12345

celiacuser12345 Newbie

Hello everyone,

I was born with celiac. I was withering away as child, day by day. Projectile vomiting, the poops, and horrible pains. My other took me from doctor to doctor to hospital to hospital. Finnaly weeks from death, I was taken to westchester medicial center and diagnosed withing 5 minutes with celiac. It took my mother time after time after time to figure out what was going on.

I have been gluten free since that day. I am currently 145 pounds and have been for the last five years of my life. I was also born with one kidney. I do not and cannot gain weight. Does everyone have this problem? how the heck do i gain weight?

I could not be happier, always in a good mood and always smiling. That is why I hate coming to look at this forum. I have always had to deal with this and I dont ever make myself feel sorry for myself or get "depressed" I think you guys are all looking at this the wrong way. Im actually interested to see you guys think the celiac makes your depressed or the fact you can no longer eat your favorite foods. I would love to know.

I know what I can and cannot eat, I have my favorite foods, and it's really not as bad as people make it sound. There is a special bread i use for sandwiches thats fantastic, cookies that are better then storebought, and oh thank god icecream! I would have no problem letting people in on the secrets i have been using for a long time to keep happy. Let me know if you would like to know the cookie recipie or the bread, I would love to help out. I also can eat pizza with my own special method.... lemmek now if your interested!!! ITS GRRRREEAT!!!

The reason I am writing today is actually to find out if any of you have body or facial ticks. I have been diagnosed with facial and body ticks and I have been dealing with it for years. I currently have times where is squint and move my face, ears, nose and eyes. I also shrug my shoulders and am very uncomfortable when sitting in the same spot for a while. My basic question is do any of you have facial or body ticks? I would love to know.

I have so much to say, but i am having trouble typing what i really want to say. I have so many things I can share but I dont know how to share them.

my email is brchickery@vassar.edu you guys can email me anytime you want literally. Ask a question or gimme some advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Wow, welcome.

With celiac desease relatively unknown by most PF, you are the lucky one. To live a whole 21 years gluten free, you have it made. I myself 51, have not missed the foods that contain gluten. My challenge is eating out and not that it is your interest, lipstick and stuff.

You seem wonderfully happy. But....my bet is the you are ADHD? Am I correct? ADHD can attribute to your ticks.

Again welcome to the forum and would also welcome your ways of living in a gluten filled life.

Lisa

Guest nini

welcome to the forum... I try to look at this lifestyle as what I can have instead of focusing on what I can't. sure I have my "bummer" moments, but I think I'm pretty happy to have a dx and a cure! (The gluten-free diet)... my daughter was put on the gluten-free diet at age 3 with all the same things you described... She is now a happy well adjusted soon to be six year old, with a very good attitude about what she can and can't have. She just accepts it this way because she really doesn't remember THAT MUCH about what her life was like pre gluten-free... though she does remember that it makes her very ill. I hope that when she's a teenager and a young adult, that she will have the confidence in herself to stick with the diet like you do. I've heard stories about teenagers with celiac rebelling and eating gluten just because they think that they are invincible. If you have any advice for helping her as she goes through school years with friends and play dates and parties and things that involve food, I would appreciate it. I wasn't dx'ed until I was in my thirties, so I do miss some of my fave. things, but I know that I will never have them again because I do not wish to ever feel that way again.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Just wanted to say you have a GREAT attitude. I look at this in a similar light...I don't feel sorry for myself and I just do what I gotta do to stay healthy. I think constantly focusing on stuff I cant have would definately bring me down so I dont do it...I focus on what I can have and get on with my day.

P.S. Even though we are all nice gluten-free people here...you probably shouldnt post your phone # on the internet. You just never know. You might wanna go back and edit that out. :)

fritzicurls Rookie

I am wondering if you have Tourette's Syndrome, which is a probable cause for the facial and body tics. I have never read where Tourette's is connected to celiac disease but since celiac can cause neurological symptoms (I have celiac induced epilepsy) it may be responsible for the Tourette's. There are medications that can help some people with Tourette's. I would google Tourette's Syndrome and if you think you have it I would find a good psychiatrist or neurologist to get a med eval if the tics are bothersome enough that you want to get some med help. I am a therapist and can help you with how to find a good psychiatrist or neurologist. E-mail me if you would like some help with that.

I, like the others, am not the least bit depressed about celiac disease. I actually am thrilled to have found such a relatively easy cure for managing the disease. No side effects connected with the gluten-free diet!!! And I love feeling so good.

fritzicurls

Lisa Mentor

Not to hijack your thread, but my first born had projectile vomiting. First time it happened, I thought I had an "exercist baby". My gosh, that stuff shot four feet across the room. :o:o

mommida Enthusiast

I think of my diagnoses day as liberation day. I have the control of my health, by just watching what I eat. I also have been trying new and different cooking and baking, and don't get too hung up on failing a new recipe.

There is a known connection to calcium deposits on the brain for those with gluten sensitivty or Celiac. (I don't know if I have worded that the best way.) There are also some articles on gluten ataxia that may give you more insight. If you are determined to find out the cause for the ticks.

Your uplifting outlook to life may be what newly diagnosed posters may need. If a person gets their whole way of life up-ended after illness or after having no symptoms what so ever, they are going to go through an emotional roller coaster. Family and friends may be there for emotional support, but knowing there are others who have first hand experience makes a true connection.

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

You have the right attitude. Celiac was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was very obese and my life was a disaster. In two years my life has changed completely for the better. The old me is dead and I don't miss him at all. I wave my celiac flag high and proud.

2tired Apprentice
I think of my diagnoses day as liberation day. I have the control of my health, by just watching what I eat. I also have been trying new and different cooking and baking, and don't get too hung up on failing a new recipe.

There is a known connection to calcium deposits on the brain for those with gluten sensitivty or Celiac. (I don't know if I have worded that the best way.) There are also some articles on gluten ataxia that may give you more insight. If you are determined to find out the cause for the ticks.

Your uplifting outlook to life may be what newly diagnosed posters may need. If a person gets their whole way of life up-ended after illness or after having no symptoms what so ever, they are going to go through an emotional roller coaster. Family and friends may be there for emotional support, but knowing there are others who have first hand experience makes a true connection.

Laura

Micro, I like your positive upbeat attitude. I cannot imagine being gluten free for that long. I have been gluten-free for a little over one month and it seems like a lifetime for me. One of the things that I am finding difficult is eating out. I have not found any places that have gluten-free menus. Hardees which is fast food has the low carb burger which works, but that is about all that I have found. I would welcome any info that you have to offer since you have been dealing with this for so long. What you were describing about the tics that you have been having. My psychiatrist has talked with me about a young patient that he has who has ADHD who also has Tourettes and these were the symptoms he was having. You might want to see a neurologist for further diagnosis.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

You definately have a great attitude about this. I know I personally am so much happier now that I found out what was wrong with me all those years I never felt well. I think for the most part if it ever seems like myself or anyone else is whining about stuff, well I think it's more this is kinda our one outlet where we can talk openly with others who can relate about the day to day of living with celiac. And a lot of us are new to this so we're still adjusting to our new better life, but without some of our favorite foods or conveniences.

So what's this bread?!!!!!

Do you live in Westchester or Rockland? I see you were diagnosed at Westchester Medical Center (I assume you mean the one in White Plains, not Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco). But your phone number is Rockland. I live in Tarrytown (right by the bridge). :)

kevsmom Contributor

Welcome!

I found this information that you might be interested in at www.pubmed.gov -

Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr. 2003 Aug;71(8):406-14. Related Articles, Links

[Neurological complications of inflammatory intestinal diseases] [Article in German]

Dietrich W, Erbguth F.

Klinik fur Neurologie, Klinikum Nurnberg (Sud), Nuremberg.

A number of neurological symptoms have been described as complications of inflammatory bowel disorders such as coeliac disease, Whipple's disease, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. The neurology of coeliac disease includes disorders of the central nervous system encompassing cerebellar ataxia, epilepsy, myoclonus, dementia and multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Peripheral neuropathies, of axonal and demyelinating types, and myopathies have also been reported. The pathomechanisms are more related to immunological-inflammatory processes than to a malresorptive vitamin deficiencies. While CNS symptoms of coeliac disease show a poor response to gluten restriction, peripheral symptoms may respond to elimination of gluten from the diet. There are few reports of a successful corticosteroid treatment in patients showing inflammatory findings in the CSF or bioptic material. Whipple's disease is caused by the gram-positive bacillus Tropheryma whipplei. Patients with a central nervous system manifestation of Whipple's disease may develop a variety of symptoms including dementia, supranuclear gaze palsy, movement disorders, hypothalamic dysfunction and myorhythmia. The CNS-infection is diagnosed by PCR of the CSF. Long-term antibiotic treatment is required, and relapses may occur after withdrawal of antimicrobial therapy. Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are complicated by various forms of polyneuropathies, and arterial and venous cerebrovascular diseases. In most cases with neurological complications of inflammatory gastrointestinal diseases an immune mediated inflammatory process is suspected to be the underlying pathomechanism.

Note - according to Taber's Cyclopedia Medical Dictionary - the definition of myoclonus is twitching or clonic spasm of a muscle or group of muscles.

The point being - you are not alone in that aspect of Celiac either. Apparently it has been documented.

Cindy

Guest Robbin

Welcome, what a sweet, well-adjusted guy you are. Kudos to your parents, too. I am thankful for the fact that if I have to have something--which everyone gets something sooner or later--that it is something I can make better by being gluten-free. It's actually fun to try new recipes. Looking forward to hearing more about you! Watch that phone thing, though--maybe somehow that can be deleted out? Any ideas on that one anyone?

jnifred Explorer

You are a breath of fresh air!!!!

I do not have full blown Celiac but definitely gluten intolerant, however, my friend who is Celiac does get facial tics esp when she has been glutened. They are hardly noticable, I don't think I've ever noticed them, they are more of an annoyance to her. Hopefully she will see this and post more to you.

I completely agree with all you had to say, I am THIRLLED to find out the "cure" to a lot of my problems was to cut out gluten and adjust a few of my recipes. I have a great pizza recipe and cake mixes and cookies. I am still working on a few things (cut out sugar cookies is the biggest one!!), but I can't say I am sad about not having all the choices when I eat out and etc.

P.S. I would edit out your phone number also...you just never know!!!! Best wishes to you!!!

celiacuser12345 Newbie

holy cow.... i never ever expected this response :) im on lunch break and figured i would check... 12 responses holy cow!

Ill give a big response when i get back to work...

im already pleased that i posted... thats what i like to see some SMILES and POSITIVE attitudes.... now we are talking.

:))

celiacuser12345 Newbie

Response to all..... When eating gluten my family and I call it cheating......

I am allergic to flour oats, wheat, barley, and rye. Anything with gluten I really dont touch. Once a month I take about a mouthfull of whatever I want to dabble in. I make it a different thing each time and I never do more then a mouthfull. In all honestly one bite once a month may not sound like much but for some people it may be too much. As I have grown older I have found that one mouthfull use to give me stomach cramps or even the squirts when I was 6-15. But now I am older I usually never see any sideeffect of just a byte. The only reason I do this is when something smeels really really good or something I have never actually tasted. I have to cut out so many things, and miss out on so much, I feel i am entitled to a taste every NOW AND THEN. Everyone deserves a TINY little taste of something once a month if they REALLY want to try or just hit those tastebuds with something we normally couldnt have. Anyways back to you guys......

First off thank you very very much to all of you.....

Lisa,

Im glad to see you havent missed any foods, there are substitues and alternatives for EVERYTHING!

Nope no lipstick for me ;)

I am wonderfully happy, and have no reason not to be! ADD and ADHD have both come up in conversation but every doctor I have seen has instantly ruled it out and stated this is not the factor in my case.

Thank you for welcoming me with open arms.

Nini,

Thats the way I do it and I dont think there is any better advice I could give. About your daughter, It's really tough for young people, I have meet some people over the years and I always have the hardest time coaching kids. The key here is finding her 3 favorite foods. Once you know that there are sooo many things and options you can offer her. Also it's actually great that she is only 3 years old. You can both work togeather to train her what is best for her. She will be so much better on the gluten free diet. Togeather you can do it. You have to be carefull though. If you are on the diet aswell, you have to set a good example and not cheat with her around. That will make it really hard for her because she sees you doing it and thinks she is entitled to a little flour as well.

As far as play dates and food, no problem! Almost every kids party is a pizza party. Almost every time. Here is my Pizza secret ;) I eat the best bread ever! Eating it since I was two years old. It is called EnerG White Rice loaf. I purchase it from Mother Earth Healthfoods. I can get it other places as well, let me know if you have trouble finding it. Anyways they have about 5 types of gluten free bread. I have tested every bread known to man and I have always loved this bread. It's GREAT. There is one important thing!!! IT HAS TO BE TOASTED! If you do not toast this bread it is UNEDIBLE! I toast it just until it starts to turn light light brown and it's getting toasted. Find what works best for you. Anyways back to the BIG pizza party. What I would always do is before I left to go to the party I would toast three pieces of bread and put them in tinfoil or a ziplock bag. (if they have a toaster that is IDEAL!) Then I would go to the pizza party and when pizza comes out i whip out my handy dandy pieces of toast and set them on the plate. Then all you do is take a knife and scrape then cheese and sauce off the pizza and onto the toasted bread. You can even roll up the bread if you toast it just right and even eat it like a folded piece of pizza. It works and tastes GREAT. I have been doing this since I was about 4-5 with my mothers help of course :) This has actually been one of the most FUN parts my my dissorder. Fun? what the hell is he talking about... thats what your thinking i know. Well listen to this everyone who sees you will not be able to hold back, they are going to say "What the heck are you doing?!?!?!" Same response 16+ years,

Eating pizza! Im allergic to bread!

"What do you mean????"

Oh, I do this because I cant eat the crust... tastes just like pizza it's really good!

SAME RESPONSE everytime, "wow that stinks but thats really cool that you can still eat pizza...."

Next thing you know everyone is smiling and going wow this wow that and you just keep eating and go YUP. Everyone thinks this is facinating, I have never ever once been made fun of and I used to do this in front of hundreds of people in the lunch room. It's cake. Now when someone sees me eating pizza, a friend or coworker pipes up and says everything for me. I dont even have to explain anymore. It's not awkward, embarrasing or anything like that. It's what we have to do because we are different. Thats all. I now eat pizza the same way and dont even get questioned anymore.

If it's not a pizza party, then you really gotta find out what they have. There is almost always hotdogs and hamburgers. What kind of other party's or foods are you looking to work with?

Sleepovers are a piece of cake. Send the kid away with a big bag of their favorite chips, and two pices of toast. The friends parent will think your the best for sending them over with snacks, and they can have some creamecheeese or butter toast for breakfast. Hope that helps... lemme know if i missed anything....

Rachel,

Thanks everyone tells me I have a great attitude. How can I complain im healthy, happy and employed :)

There is no point in even thinking about foods you cant have your right. I cant eat them so I dont even think about it. You cant eat it........ dont.... you dont have to have any of those things!

Thanks for the phone tip, i really dont care, if anyone wants to find me they can just throw my name in google :) either way i appreciate it.

Fritzcurls,

Nope no turrets. Been to 3 neurologists and two doctors. Not the case. Thank you though that was my first thought actually. I have not been able to find any direct account or corrolation with ticking and celiac. If you have any info I would love to hear.

About your celiac, it's great to hear your attitude. There is no reason to be down, we got so many things to keep us up. Gluten free means pain free :)

Lisa Baker,

Heheh I'm glad someone else go to experience it. Yup over 4 feet was my record. One nurse told my mother when i was really sick a long time ago that I was fine and she was over doing it and i was fine and she needed to calm down. I then threw up across the room 4 feet onto her shoes :)! She went and got the doctor within 30 seconds. My mother smiled at her and asked her if she would leave the room. Some people just dont care, about themselves or you. Dont let these people stop you or bring you down, brush them off and keep on kickin!

Mommida,

My mom has failed about 100 recipies. She is the best cook I know. It usually takes her atleast two tries to get something to taste perfect. It is really really difficult to cook celiac, dont get discouraged. Keep trying! If you use a little bit of Creamcheese mixed into mixtures really helps hold things togeather since we cant use flower. Once you get it down, its smoooooth sailing and tasty treats :)

I am intrested in what you say about the calcium deposites. Do you have anymore information about this? I have no idea anything about this situation.

Everyone I meet says im a happy upbeat person. I'm glad I have helped you out, that puts a smile on my face. You gotta find one person you can use to help you. For that it was my mother and my father. My brothers are great, but my parents were amazing. I really need this help when i was young. Now that im older, I dont even think about or take into account that i have celiac anymore. I just do my thing and eat my foods. If you are down like i used to get every ONCE and a while when I was a kid, it really helps when you have someone who will keep infusing you with positive outlook and comments.

Ianm,

I'm really glad to hear that man. Good for you. What are your favorite foods? What are you eating? Where can I get one of the Celiac flags, I would love one ;)

2tired,

No problem :) I cant imagine eating gluten for 21 years :) It's a piece of cake once you find your foods trust me! I eat wendy's all the time LOVE IT absolutely love it! I get burgers and take the buns off or order them with no bun. Wendy's and mcdonalds both do this if you ask for no bun. When i go to resauraunts i get chicken or steak and who can beat that!?!?

For fast food, Mcd's and wendy's both have gluten free menu's.

Thanks for the info about the adhd but we have ruled that out :( still searching.....

jkmunchkin,

Gotta have a great attitude, otherwise it really really stinks. From your picture you sure do look happy :) There is nothing worse then celiac pains, I know what cha mean. I'm glad to hear your feeling well on the diet, keep it up and you will feel like a champ!

About adjusting.... howcome there is no favorite foods thread? I would like to see something like this...

Breakfast

Bacon egg and cheese on my toast.

Lunch

pastrami seasoned turkey breats sandwich on my bread

Dinner

any kind of chicken :)

Snack

Icecream, my cookies, doritos! cheesesticks.

Just to get some ideas of what people are eating. There have to be little tips and tricks that people have hiding away .

Do you mind if I ask what are your disorders listed in your signature, are they a result of celiac, and what are they?

You look like your doing pretty good to me! Keep smiling :) p.s. I live in poughkeepsie about fifty minutes from white plains.

Kevsmom,

Thank you very very much this is the most informative info yet. I'm going to go over this with my family when I get a chance to see them. Thank you. Cute pup :)

Robbin,

Blusing, Thank you :)

My parents are the best. I couldnt ask for anything more. They truly are great parents.

New recipies are fun! Thats a good attitude to take, keep cooking.

Jnifred,

Deep breath..... ahhhhhhhh..... I'm trying :) I figured after looking at this site for about 4-5 years I should probobly post eh?

This is good to know. What are her ticks like? Squinting of the face eyes or nose? What about when she doesent eat gluten?

Dont eat gluten, boom your cured. You got it.

And my pizzaria around my house also said anytime I bring them flour they will make me a real pizza. Just ask if you are friendly and nice people will do just about anything to help you.

Few.... Sorry it took so long. Thats my scoup and thanks for yours! Look forward to reading this thread. Thanks again.

Lollie Enthusiast

I'm recently Dx and I am so happy to be off meds. I was sick for 10years and misDx the whole time. Now I'm trying to help my family feel better too.

It's not exactly easy to give up stuff you have associated with you-like food too often is. I'm an excellent pie maker, I come from generations of pastry makers, I guess that's what I was most upset with.....Got a pie crust recipe????? :D I am having a hard time figuring out the consistency........

Anyway, it is really great to have such a positive force here! Thanks for bringing your positive energy to us!

-Lollie

Guest nini

Thank you for your input... We've actually tried the EnerG bread toasted and didn't like it. But we do like Kinnickinick's Italian White Tapioca Rice Bread, I would say my daughter's top three fave foods are tacos, beanies and weanies, and spagetti made with Tinkyada pasta... I make that in large batches and freeze in individual containers.

I'm concerned about the "scraping the toppings off of pizza" and putting them on gluten-free bread because of cross contamination issues... I have found several gluten-free pizza crusts that we really like, Amy's Rice Crust Cheese Pizza, Chebe Bread, and Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse Pizza Crust. I just top them with pizza sauce, cheese and Hormel pepperoni or whatever chopped veggies we are in the mood for and bake... I also freeze these and when she has a pizza party to go to I can pop one in the microwave either before we go or if they have one there. As long as she's got A pizza to eat, she doesn't seem to care.

I also don't cheat intentionally at all. I was very near death when I was dx'ed, so I have no desire whatsoever to do that again! My daughter has cheated in the past, after being gluten-free for a while, she grabbed an Oreo from a playmate... her reaction was instantaneous and painful, so I doubt she would ever willingly eat anything with gluten in it. But I could be wrong when she is a teenager, she may want to try what her friends are having... :D

What I'm most interested in hearing is what do you tell your friends about Celiac? Or do you not tell them and just keep it to yourself? Is it important that they know or not? Do you get upset sometimes if there is not something there for you to eat?

Lisa Mentor

Wow,quite an answer :rolleyes:

Went to the store yesterday and read the lable for Dorrito's - with new labeling it says it contains wheat. Just thought I would pass that on for all the new ones here on the forum

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Lisa,

Which Doritos was it? I know the cheesy ones have wheat, but from what I understand, the Ranch and the Dill Pickle ones are gluten free. Those are the ones up here in Canada anyway that are safe.....

Hugs.

Karen

Lisa Mentor

Karen:

I think it was to Nacho Cheese, but not sure. So, please read the lables everyone.

key Contributor

Welcome and thanks for sharing all the great thoughts! My son has celiac and he is almost 2 years old right now. He has been on the diet almost a year. He is doing great, but small for his age. He has gained though and is thriving anyway.

May I ask how tall you are?? My husband is 5'9inches and weighs about what you do. Of course if you are alot taller then it would make you skinnier.

I saw your post about taking a "bite" every once in awhile of gluten containing food. I know as wonderful as it seems, it may contribute to reflattening your villi every month, therefore you wouldn't be absorbing as much nutrition and maybe not gaining the weight you would like. DO a search on the net and see if you can find information about even just tiny amounts causing damage. It sounds like you are healthy and happy and that is SO awesome. I have celiac too and had to change my diet at 30 years old. I am vegetarian and that is the part I find much harder.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you eat when you go out? Do you eat out very often and if you do what are you favorite places.

As far as tics go, well my husbands dad and brother seem to have some. They blink their eyes quite frequently and sniff quite a bit. I have always thought they were nervous tics, not really tourettes symptoms. SO maybe that is all it is.

Good luck and keep in touch here when you have time! YOu are a great encouragement to us parents out there with celiac!

MOnica

ianm Apprentice
Ianm,

I'm really glad to hear that man. Good for you. What are your favorite foods? What are you eating? Where can I get one of the Celiac flags, I would love one ;)

I keep it simple. Fuits, vegetables and meat. The only dairy I eat is yogurt and cheese. No processed foods at all. the only sugar I eat is ice cream and dark chocolate once in a while. You've obviously been waving the celiac flag longer than I have.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Lisa,

Which Doritos was it? I know the cheesy ones have wheat, but from what I understand, the Ranch and the Dill Pickle ones are gluten free. Those are the ones up here in Canada anyway that are safe.....

Hugs.

Karen

Karen, Guacamole (in Canada) are gluten-free. I gotta call Frito-Lay one of these days. The Dorito Cheese/Nacho cheese or whatever has wheat, but the Dorito Rollito Cheese or Nacho Cheese was gluten-free. I found exactly one bag at Walmart right after Ty was diagnosed, and have never seen them since. I wonder if they quit making them. And what was the difference between a rollito and a dorito anyway? Shape and wheat is my guess.

TCA Contributor

I'm interested in hearing how you were diagnosed. My daughter is 10 mos. old and a heart patient. She had surgery at 9 days old and got very very sick in the following months. The docs completely ignored my request to have her tested for Celiac. The only thing that saved her is me going on a gluten free diet and nursing her completely. It was amazing at the turn around. How did they test you? My husband had projectile vomiting as a baby, as did our daughter (stopped now), but they never found the reason. My son was diagnosed last month. Trust me, this diagnosis was a gift from God after 2 years of testing.

I'm really concerned about your "cheating" and taking buns off burgers, toppings off pizza, etc. I didn't realize just how sensitive a person could be until about a month into the diet I let my son have some pillsbury icing that was in the fridge. I called to make sure it was gluten-free and it was. He got sooo sick after eating it. It then dawned on me that it was because we had iced a gluten cake with it. There were no visible bread crumbs, but this tiny bit gave him horrible diarrhea and stomach pains, plus made his VERY grouchy. Please be careful. You have such a great attitude and I'd hate for your current issues to be due to just a few things like this.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"Once a month I take about a mouthfull of whatever I want to dabble in. I make it a different thing each time and I never do more then a mouthfull. In all honestly one bite once a month may not sound like much but for some people it may be too much. As I have grown older I have found that one mouthfull use to give me stomach cramps or even the squirts when I was 6-15. But now I am older I usually never see any sideeffect of just a byte"

Want to get rid of the 'tics' stop doing this. It is not a safe practice. Even if you do not think you are reacting stomach wise gluten poisons the entire system. My DD had daily 'twitches' before she was gluten-free. They looked like she was shivering violently, we thought it was a form of epilepsy but because it never happened in front of her doctor they just figured I was nuts or she was. Of course all my illness was in my head and mental illness runs in families right. As for me I get strong eye tics when glutened. Your habit of deliberately injesting even a bite once a month could be responseable for you continuing tics IMHO.

On the up side you have a great attitude, I feel celiac is a genetic difference not a disease, we are the lucky ones we react to this poison and have the knowledge and ability to avoid it and the resulting systemwide problems that go with it. Welcome to the forum.

Oh and to answer one other query you had, I feel there is a definate deprssive effect from the gluten for many people. It is a reaction to the poison and one of the first symptoms my family has. The fact that we are gluten intolerant is not depressing but the effect of gluten on our brains causes a definate depressive episode. gluten-free no depression or schitzo (sp)(paranoia, hearing things) symptoms are present.

Archived