This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Mcdonalds Sucks

ErraticBinxie

psawyer Proficient

Go here for the thread about McDonalds in Canada:

Open Original Shared Link

In particular, this statement from McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Limited is relevant:

There is some uncertainty about the fries in the US. But I think that they are safe in Canada.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ErraticBinxie Explorer

I waitress over the summer at a restaurant and I agree with everyone who said they work in restaurants. Even if it seems clean and everything on the outside, you have NO idea what is going on in the kitchen. Now that I am also Lactose intolerant I don't ever want to eat in restaurants again. There is such a high risk for cross contamination everyewhere unless you go to an entirely dedicated restaurants. Everything I eat now I know exactly what is in it because it's scary for us out there. We can never really be sure what is safe and what isn't.

Guest gliX

There's some videos @ www.cnn.com about mcds fries and celiac

celiac3270 Collaborator

deleted--by user

I-GOT-IT-2 Newbie
:unsure: Thanks for the tip! My husband was getting so sick from the fries at Mc Donalds. We have 4 people in our family who have Celiac Disease. And Maybe 2 more. Also the Large can Sardines have wheat in them and it's not listed. Eat sardines only in h20. If you have trouble gaining weight :o get at least one can of large Sardines they have about 60 grams protein. When an 8 oz steak has only about 12 grams of protein. But, only in water. Thanks :D
Rusla Enthusiast

I have worked in restaurants where the owner made food with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. After I lectured her on it, I was of course fired. I also worked in a place where if a burger or something fell on the floor the owner said to pick it up and put it on the grill, that will kill the germs. I informed him that it would not and did he like eating things off the floor, the dirty floor. Needless to say if it fell on the floor, I threw it in the garbage.

I-GOT-IT-2 Newbie

How did most of you find out that you have this problem? ;)

Thanks for the tip! My husband was getting so sick from the fries at Mc Donalds. We have 4 people in our family who have Celiac Disease. And Maybe 2 more. Also the Large can Sardines have wheat in them and it's not listed. Eat sardines only in h20. If you have trouble gaining weight :o get at least one can of large Sardines they have about 60 grams protein. When an 8 oz steak has only about 12 grams of protein. But, only in water. My husband weighed 230 and is 6'7 after feeding him sandwhiches he had to be put in the hospital for about a week and was down to 168. We or the doctors didn't know what was wrong! But now he is up to 197 after 1 year. We wouldn't want to loose any more weight thanks for the tip on the fry's any other things let us know please :) Thanks :D ]Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gliX
I have worked in restaurants where the owner made food with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. After I lectured her on it, I was of course fired. I also worked in a place where if a burger or something fell on the floor the owner said to pick it up and put it on the grill, that will kill the germs. I informed him that it would not and did he like eating things off the floor, the dirty floor. Needless to say if it fell on the floor, I threw it in the garbage.

That's nasty. I worked at a mcds last year and i never saw a rule being broken. But, I guess every restaurant varies.

• 3 months later...
beth g Newbie

ErraticBinxie

i agree with you that McDonalds dose sucks.

by having the grease from other stuff with the french fries.

Guest Elizabeth19

Really??? That blows. I just found out i have celiac disease and i sorta went into a depression stage because i do like food and i do eat alot (no im not overweight..lol). I actually lost alot of weight because i stopped eating for awhile. its become a lot easier though. but man, thanks for lettin me kno this because i have been eatin there fries and i just had some today. no wonder i feel like crap.

I don't know if you have all already seen this. I got this from a celiac Myspace group. Anyways an article was printed that said that McDonalds has suddenly posted on their website that their french fries contain wheat and dairy ingredients, something that they have denied in the past. I am including the link below. I am really disappointed. Just when fast food was becoming more availible to us, they have to come in and take it away. Sorry to bring such bad news!

lovegrov Collaborator

THE THREAD THAT WON'T DIE!!! The McD fries are gluten-free!!! Contamination, however, is another thing. Fast food restaurants are bad for CC.

richard

• 4 years later...
Live Love Twillight Rookie

Hey :) i no it has been years since this wuz posted but the fries r gluten-free now!!! :D idk about milk though. . .BUT the McD workers still r horrible!! i order a burger patty w/out anything on it, just the meat, n 1/2 the time i get a patty with a bunch of CRUMBS ON IT!!!!!!! >:( in fact, 1 time it came as a regualar burger, and i said that i cant have anyhting on it, so they went in the bak, came bak out n IT WAS THE SAME PATTY. they just took the bun off!!!! WHAT THE HEK?!?!?!?!?!? im not stupid!!!!

lizziebee Apprentice

im so dissapointed not that i eat mcdonalds ever day but occasionally their fries are a nice treat and i thought they were gluten free i thought i would still be able to enjoy them :(

psawyer Proficient

This is by far the most discussed topic in the history of this board.

A wheat-derived ingredient is contained the in the artificial "beef" flavor that is added to the oil in which the potato pieces are partially fried prior to being frozen. At the store they are fried in vegetable oil in dedicated fryers used only for potato products (fries and hash browns).

These fryers are in a separate area and are operated by a different crew from any other fried items. There are two reasons for this. First, McDonalds are highly protective of the flavor of their fries. Nothing is allowed to taint it. Second, the temperature in the fryer is different between the potato items and the other fried items.

The finished product has been independently tested at the University of Nebraska and found to have no detectable gluten. The test used can detect five parts per million (5 ppm).

If you are worried about something that has less than 5 ppm gluten content, I have to wonder why you would consider eating ANYTHING at a fast-food establishment where the risk of cross-contamination is high. McDonalds is one of the best in terms of segregating gluten products.

I eat the fries, and the hash browns, from time to time. No worries here.

Archived