This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ohmygoshoww

penguin

penguin Community Regular

<_< OK, I'm pretty convinced.

I ate Kettle Brand chips (black pepper variety) and not ten minutes later my stomach was ouchy and upset and I was running for the bathroom.

Twice.

At work. :ph34r:

And I can't even focus on spelling my name :blink:

I thought I had read those to be gluten-free somewhere, I guess not.

The only other thing I had to eat today were Van's gluten-free waffles with real organic maple syrup and uncontaminated butter with milk to drink. This was my first time having the regular gluten-free waffles, I've been eating the buckwheat ones without incident in the same manner. I kind of doubt that was it, since it would be pretty coincidental immediately after eating those chips. And I seriously doubt it was the evian.

And I was feeling so good.

Please tell me the chewable immodium advanced is gluten-free, that would be horrible insult to injury.

You know, I don't think I really thought having celiac was a real possibility until now :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Sorry you're feeling so bad today :( . Just my opinion, but I think that the Van's waffles may have been the culprit. I used to eat them, and thought they might be a problem, but it was early in my recovery, and a lot of things were still slipping into my diet. After not having them for a while, I ate them one morning--a day where I had to pick my son up 30 minutes away. The whole time in the car, I had the worst cramping, and had to stop and find bathrooms along the way. It was awful--I had had nothing else to eat that day--just the waffles and pure maple syrup. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the cause--you may want to be wary of them in the future, and see if you get another reaction :)

bluelotus Contributor

Sorry you are sick. Some people have gotten sick from Vann's waffles too, so you might want to test those again in the future. But, check the packaging on those chips - some of the flavors made by that brand have 'not a gluten free product' in small letters by the nutrional info.

I should have mentioned I had the waffles a good 3 hours before getting sick, who knows? The Kettle brand website says they don't reccomend their chips for gluten-free people because of shared equipment. <_<

But van's says there's a possibilty of CC...I dunno :huh:

jerseyangel Proficient

Could have been CC from either product. Sometimes the reaction dosn't show up for a while. It varies from person to person. That's what makes this thing so difficult--in addition to everything else, you have to be a detective--feel better :D

loraleena Contributor

I read that Kettle chips are not gluten free. Must have been them. Try Cape Cod next time. Hope you feel better.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

This is on delphi:

Imodium AD Caplets (McNeil) (800.962.5357) (vs=09/14/02)

is listed as gluten free. It does not list the chewable ones. Perhaps that is your culprit?

I know I used to use the Chewable Gax-X tablets. I used to eat those things like candy for the gas and then I found out they contained gluten the whole time!!! The gelcaps are okay to use though.....

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
This is on delphi:

Imodium AD Caplets (McNeil) (800.962.5357) (vs=09/14/02)

is listed as gluten free. It does not list the chewable ones. Perhaps that is your culprit?

I know I used to use the Chewable Gax-X tablets. I used to eat those things like candy for the gas and then I found out they contained gluten the whole time!!! The gelcaps are okay to use though.....

Karen

Karen is right again.

i did so much research on IM AD..called the company and everyting.

i was drinking the liquid by the gallons...the new mint green liquid didn't agree with me and they said it HASN'T BEEN CK'D FOR GLUTEN YET. THE OLD LIQUID WAS FINE WITH ME FOR YEARS...THEY WANTED A PRODUCT THAT LOOKED MORE LIKE PEPTO...TOLD THEM BEFORE THEY WENT FOR 'LOOKS' MARKETING SHOULD KNOW WHAT'S IN IT..NOT JUST FOR 'LOOKS'

THE CAPLETS ARE OK, DITO KAREN, CALLED THEM ON THIS TOO.

GAS-X PEPERMINT ---I WAS TOLD WERE OK BUT THE GEL CAPS WE KNOW ARE OK. GO WITH THEM

THE VAN'S WAFFELS DO NOT AGREE WITH ME EITHER, PATTI

TRADER JOES DO ----IF THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED THE INGRED...THEY'VE BEEN DOING THAT ALOT.

JUDY IN PHILLY

Jenn2005 Contributor

My husband ate the Van's waffles several months ago and he got sick feeling from them too. He also ate the Kettle Chips (salt & vineager flavor and the black pepper flavor). I was under the impression they were gluten free also. Actually they are gluten free but as mentioned above when I went on the web site it said they weren't recommended for people with Celaic disease due the cross contamination. That mistake has taken him about 3 weeks to recover from (of course he ate 3 bags of them before we realized what the problem was). You might stay away from both the waffles and the chips but definately the chips.

Jennifer

hez Enthusiast

I am so sorry you are sick. It is horrible. I have had the waffles and had no problems (I seem to be sensitive). Never eaten the chips. CC can occur, maybe that is the issue. Either way I hope you feel better soon.

Hez

pturse Apprentice

I eat the Trader Joes waffles w/no problems. And actually had the chips last night and have not had any problems. Had them before w/o problems. I prefer the baked lays myself and the baked Kettle chips. :D

2tired Apprentice
I am so sorry you are sick. It is horrible. I have had the waffles and had no problems (I seem to be sensitive). Never eaten the chips. CC can occur, maybe that is the issue. Either way I hope you feel better soon.

Hez

I eat the Vans Waffles all the time and have not had any problems. I have not tried the Kettles Chips.

Thanks everybody, I found out that the Immodium advanced chewables are gluten-free...Yay

And they worked!

I'm still feeling loopy and slightly crampy, but way, way better. :)

I think eating PB cookies make me feel better...sugar high, anyway :D

I guess I have to buy some different chips, eh :P

(I do think it was the chips, it seemed too cause and effect not to be. I haven't had anything in the past few days that could cause a reaction other than that or the Van's. Guess we'll find out when I eat waffles again, eh?)

Lollie Enthusiast

Glad your feeling better. :D

I had the chips about a week ago, and i was so sick all night and into the morning :blink:

Good luck!

-Lollie

pturse Apprentice

Okay, I opened my mouth too soon. I said I have eaten the chips twice w/no problems. Well, the second time, I apparently have a problem. :( After I wrote my reply, I started experiencing some glutened symptoms. I thought it might have been the sushi I also had but I've had that a zillion times and it's vegetarian sushi . . . the chips, have been somewhat "new" to me and maybe the first time I had it, there wasn't contamination but the second time, I think there definitely was something in them.

Archived