17 replies to this topic

#1 KayJay

KayJay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

I have some problems with finding a make up that won't cause a rash on my face. What brands have worked well for you?
thanks
gluten-free since 2004!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:11 AM

When I use makeup, I use Mary Kay. I do not use foundation, and I am very selective about what cleanser I use, as they use nuts, which I am allergic to. My Mary Kay dealer gave me a book listing all of the products and th ingredients, so I am able to make informed choices.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:03 AM

I use MAC makeup and it is all gluten-free!
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#4 albapsyche

albapsyche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

Some products in Clinque are gluten-free, but you might also want to try Almay. Clinque is allergy tested and I ran into the problem of Wheat being added to an ingredient in one of my favorite colors of lipstick when I went to go buy more the last time. Almay is supposed to be allergy free, I've started using their foundation with some of my other Clinque products.
*vere atque certe*

#5 albapsyche

albapsyche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

Sorry, my brain isn't entirely working tonight, but I have a question I should have added when I pinned my last comment. I break out in a horrible rash from sun screen. I was just wondering if this could have something to do with having celiac disease or if my skin is just nutty and doesn't like sun screen or the sun. Does any one else have this problem?? Thanks. (And in case anyone is wondering, I use extra virgin olive oil, which works great for sun burns, and Zinc Oxide, aka Destin.)
*vere atque certe*

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

It could be. I get rashes sometimes from gluten products.

I use Coppertone almost everyday.

#7 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:59 AM

I recently started using bare essentials mineral makeup. The commercials are totally cheesy, I know, but I got some as a gift for my birthday and I love it. They claim it has natural sunscreen in it, but I generally avoid the sun so I haven't put that to the test. I had DH on my face before going gluten-free and I've never had a reaction to this makeup.

I make my own lye soap and use it for everything including washing my hair. It doesn't dry out skin and hair the way commercial products do. The crap you buy in the store is detergent, not real soap. After switching to homemade soap, I don't need lotion for skin or conditioner for hair.

#8 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:50 PM

I use Bare Minerals and have had no problems. I have given up using anything for color on my lips though, everything with color makes them break out.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#9 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:52 PM

I make my own lye soap and use it for everything including washing my hair. It doesn't dry out skin and hair the way commercial products do. The crap you buy in the store is detergent, not real soap. After switching to homemade soap, I don't need lotion for skin or conditioner for hair.

That sounds cool! Can you tell us how? :D

#10 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

I have huge problems with chemical sunscreens on my face, I just can't use them, I break out in a huge red rash every single time, regardless of the brand, I can however use them on my body its above my shoulders that is really sensitive.

The only kind i can use on my face are physical blocks, zinc oxide and titanium oxide.. there are a few companies that make them with no chemical blocks... the only bad thing about physical blocks is the give your face a white sheen. Not quite like straight zinc oxide but slightly.

The one I'm using right now I love, I think I got it at Sephora... its DDF brand their Organic Sunblock spf 30. It doesn't make you too white, it works and I don't get the rash at all. Might be worth a try.

Susan

#11 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:51 AM

Benefit lipsticks are all gluten free (this is the company response to me a few weeks ago). Bare Escentuals--all gluten-free (I have some of their lipsticks now, very nice). MAC is not all gluten-free. I have ingredients for all their products and have been checking the past fews months, as I have a lot of their makeup. MAC lip conditioner has wheat germ oil in it, and one of their kinds of lipsticks also has a wheat product in it. I can look at my notes and let you know. I believe the majority of Stila lipsticks are gluten-free too, can't tell you exact types yet though. I am still waiting to hear from Clinique. Thanks!

:D
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#12 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:55 AM

Not alot of Clinique is. The email response I got from them was not impressing. It was for a few brands including clinique. I had lipstick by them and called them and I could not get a simple yes or no...it was all well they might be gluten free. They sent me on a wild goose chase and gave me # after #..I was not impressed.

Love Bare Escentuals!
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#13 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:05 AM

I use Lancome which is gluten free, but I still read the ingredients each time I buy anything new as you never know when they might change their formula. It is pricey though! I researched Estee Lauder and they give you a huge list with all these ingredients that can harbour gluten. They say to read their ingredients and compare it to the list. They own Bobbie Brown, MAC and Clinique and gave me the same list and answer for them. The list is good to have when you buy anything but takes forever to read and compare.
As for sunscreen, I use Banana Boat with no problems.
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:09 AM

Yea,I got that nice long list too <_< ...I wish they could just tell me which ones are and are not...I just hung those brands up.

As far as sunscreen...Banana Boat and Coppertone are good
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#15 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

MAC's amplified cream lipstick has wheat germ oil in it--not gluten-free.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: