This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Make-up

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

I have some problems with finding a make up that won't cause a rash on my face. What brands have worked well for you?

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

When I use makeup, I use Mary Kay. I do not use foundation, and I am very selective about what cleanser I use, as they use nuts, which I am allergic to. My Mary Kay dealer gave me a book listing all of the products and th ingredients, so I am able to make informed choices.

jaimek Enthusiast

I use MAC makeup and it is all gluten-free!

• 8 months later...
albapsyche Newbie

Some products in Clinque are gluten-free, but you might also want to try Almay. Clinque is allergy tested and I ran into the problem of Wheat being added to an ingredient in one of my favorite colors of lipstick when I went to go buy more the last time. Almay is supposed to be allergy free, I've started using their foundation with some of my other Clinque products.

albapsyche Newbie

Sorry, my brain isn't entirely working tonight, but I have a question I should have added when I pinned my last comment. I break out in a horrible rash from sun screen. I was just wondering if this could have something to do with having celiac disease or if my skin is just nutty and doesn't like sun screen or the sun. Does any one else have this problem?? Thanks. (And in case anyone is wondering, I use extra virgin olive oil, which works great for sun burns, and Zinc Oxide, aka Destin.)

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

It could be. I get rashes sometimes from gluten products.

I use Coppertone almost everyday.

phakephur Apprentice

I recently started using bare essentials mineral makeup. The commercials are totally cheesy, I know, but I got some as a gift for my birthday and I love it. They claim it has natural sunscreen in it, but I generally avoid the sun so I haven't put that to the test. I had DH on my face before going gluten-free and I've never had a reaction to this makeup.

I make my own lye soap and use it for everything including washing my hair. It doesn't dry out skin and hair the way commercial products do. The crap you buy in the store is detergent, not real soap. After switching to homemade soap, I don't need lotion for skin or conditioner for hair.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
frenchiemama Collaborator

I use Bare Minerals and have had no problems. I have given up using anything for color on my lips though, everything with color makes them break out.

mytummyhurts Contributor
I make my own lye soap and use it for everything including washing my hair. It doesn't dry out skin and hair the way commercial products do. The crap you buy in the store is detergent, not real soap. After switching to homemade soap, I don't need lotion for skin or conditioner for hair.

That sounds cool! Can you tell us how? :D

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I have huge problems with chemical sunscreens on my face, I just can't use them, I break out in a huge red rash every single time, regardless of the brand, I can however use them on my body its above my shoulders that is really sensitive.

The only kind i can use on my face are physical blocks, zinc oxide and titanium oxide.. there are a few companies that make them with no chemical blocks... the only bad thing about physical blocks is the give your face a white sheen. Not quite like straight zinc oxide but slightly.

The one I'm using right now I love, I think I got it at Sephora... its DDF brand their Organic Sunblock spf 30. It doesn't make you too white, it works and I don't get the rash at all. Might be worth a try.

Susan

jenvan Collaborator

Benefit lipsticks are all gluten free (this is the company response to me a few weeks ago). Bare Escentuals--all gluten-free (I have some of their lipsticks now, very nice). MAC is not all gluten-free. I have ingredients for all their products and have been checking the past fews months, as I have a lot of their makeup. MAC lip conditioner has wheat germ oil in it, and one of their kinds of lipsticks also has a wheat product in it. I can look at my notes and let you know. I believe the majority of Stila lipsticks are gluten-free too, can't tell you exact types yet though. I am still waiting to hear from Clinique. Thanks!

:D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Not alot of Clinique is. The email response I got from them was not impressing. It was for a few brands including clinique. I had lipstick by them and called them and I could not get a simple yes or no...it was all well they might be gluten free. They sent me on a wild goose chase and gave me # after #..I was not impressed.

Love Bare Escentuals!

terri Contributor

I use Lancome which is gluten free, but I still read the ingredients each time I buy anything new as you never know when they might change their formula. It is pricey though! I researched Estee Lauder and they give you a huge list with all these ingredients that can harbour gluten. They say to read their ingredients and compare it to the list. They own Bobbie Brown, MAC and Clinique and gave me the same list and answer for them. The list is good to have when you buy anything but takes forever to read and compare.

As for sunscreen, I use Banana Boat with no problems.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yea,I got that nice long list too <_< ...I wish they could just tell me which ones are and are not...I just hung those brands up.

As far as sunscreen...Banana Boat and Coppertone are good

jenvan Collaborator

MAC's amplified cream lipstick has wheat germ oil in it--not gluten-free.

• 1 month later...
sspitzer5 Apprentice

Hi all,

Just wondering, do you think foundation/base make-up with gluten in it could give you headaches? I get headaches every day and don't know why. I get a lot of pressure around my eyes and forehead. I could be dreaming this, but it seems worse ater I put make up on.

I don't know if my Clinique foundation is gluten free or not, I'm waiting to hear from them. Also, does anyone know anything about Gucci make up? I sure hope it's gluten free because it was wickedly expensive!!!

S

mytummyhurts Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering, do you think foundation/base make-up with gluten in it could give you headaches? I get headaches every day and don't know why. I get a lot of pressure around my eyes and forehead. I could be dreaming this, but it seems worse ater I put make up on.

S

As far as I know, headaches are not an "official" symptom of celiac disease. But I do believe that gluten contributes to getting headaches because since going gluten-free mine have almost totally gone away. I used to get really bad ones a couple times a week. So, if the gluten in your makeup is getting into your system, I would think that it could affect this. I know that even though you don't eat your makeup it does constantly get on your hands and then into your mouth through food, etc. I don't know if the brands you asked about are gluten-free though.

• 10 months later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I'm looking for a safe gluten-free liquid foundation.

And I'm not interesed in the Bare Essentials powers, I need liquid.

Any ideas?

I'm off to the store with my magnifying glass... (giggle)

Archived