This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On My Little Girl...

Kassidy's mom

Kassidy's mom Rookie

First of all, I want to personally thank all of you who responded to my Quaker Oats question a few weeks ago....I haven't had the chance to say thank you yet!!

Background: Kassidy was Dx with Celiac the end of Ocotber via biopsy and elevated levels. At that time, her TTG was over 100 and her hemoglobin was 8.4

We became gluten that very afternoon and giving her liquid iron supplements twice a day. But...we were unknowingly giving her gluten every morning-hence the Quaker Oats dillemma.

About 4 weeks ago, we did bloodwork just to check on her and her TTG was 15, hemoglobin 8.5. That prompted me to axe the oats and I also began giving her a 1/2 teaspoon of "Black Strap Molasses" (the tip was given to me by a gentleman who founded his own nutritional supplement company) twice a day along with the liquid iron.

On Monday, we did more bloodwork and got the results today-her TTG is 4 and her hemoglobin is 11.6!!! Yay!

Apparently she is still considered "iron deficient" as her red blood cells were a little small under the scope, but she is no longer anemic....YES!

We will have another check in 3 months where they anticipate her TTG to be even lower (they don't think her intestine has fully recovered)

Anyway...I just thought our story would provide "light at the end of the tunnel" for some of you who are in the earlier stages of Dx.

This has all transpired in 3 1/2 months. My daughter was 2 weeks shy of her 2nd birthday when she was disgnosed.

Oh, ya...I forgot to mention she has gone from 24 lbs to 29 lbs since being gluten free and has grown a couple inches too-amazing! :)

And most importantly...she is so energetic and happy; enjoying life finally!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

I am so happy every thing is working out.

There is a recent post, Healing takes time, that you might be interested in checking out. As good as things are going right now, 2 years gluten free is probably going to be even better!

Laura

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

That's great news! We are coming up on our one year anniversary of putting my daughter on the diet (I feel like throwing a party) and the changes are still coming. Her personality is really blossoming lately, and she keeps growing, and growing. Just when I think she can't change any more, she does.

You will be amazed at what the next few months will bring, it's amazing.

penguin Community Regular

My family is full of old indian folk remedies, that we still use to this day,

my grandfather swears by sorghum molasses as a cure all for everything, and if you can find it near you (it's hard to find outside of the south) you might want to give her some of that. It's also way yummier than blackstrap!

Here's an article about it:

Open Original Shared Link

:lol:

Archived