23 replies to this topic

#1 marciab

marciab

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:24 AM

Does anyone else have chest pain in the upper left hand quadrant, right where your heart is, accompanied by excessive burping ? I have this on a mild basis most days, but today it is very intense. My GI doc said the pain was stomach related, but I don't remember what he said and as long as the problem was minor, I was ok with it.

I know if I call my doctor and tell them I am having chest pains they will tell me to go to the ER. And since I have a history of funky, but harmless heart test results, I don't want to go near there. The last time this happened I was hospitalized for 3 days while they ran heart tests.

Any ideas ? Solutions ? I tried simethecone already.
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pamelaD

pamelaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

Yes, I get similar pain sometimes when I've been glutened. I assume the pain is from gas trapped somewhere.... burping should help relieve the pain. It sometimes helps me to twist... almost like wringing out your insides.
Sit on the floor cross-legged. Reach your right hand to the floor behind you and put your left hand on your right knee, then twist around to the right. repeat on other side.

Good Luck,
Pam

#3 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:47 AM

Thanks. I will try that. Does your stomach just keep producing more and more gas ? I feel like there is a bubble machine in my stomach because the supply of gas is never ending. marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#4 zip2play

zip2play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

I have experienced this too! Sometimes the pain is truly intense. Burping is the only thing that will help ease it. I have also taken GAS X before!

Monica

#5 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:11 AM

Gas-X helps alot. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE GELCAPS!!!! Chewable Gax-X contain gluten!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#6 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

Thanks. I can't believe so many of you are doing this too. It's good to know I'm not so special. I wrote Gas x "gel caps" on my list .. Any thoughts on whether or not this could be hormonal ? I wonder how many folks get hospitalized for this ? Marcia

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

Sometimes, it gets so bad I feel like going to the hospital, but I have been through it enough times that I know I am going through hell, but it will pass....... I also used to be terrified it was something to do with my heart.

With me, it starts with what feels like is gas trapped in between my shoulder blades in my back. After awhile, it moves up to where it feels like it is under my shoulders right by my neck, right up through my neck and almost into my ears. As hard as I try, I can't burp out the gas. Sure, I can burp, which brings up the gas from my intestines, but it doesn't relieve the gas pressure I feel around my shoulders/neck. It feels like some gas somehow escapes out of the tubes and was rising freely in my body and resting under my shoulders (the exact same feeling you get after you have had abdominal surgery where they blow you up with gas but if they don't get all of it out, it has to slowly seep through your system..... I have had this and it feels like a knife going into your chest/shoulder when you even try to breathe........)

Gas-X usually helps somewhat. I have learned to lay on the floor, going into different postural positions to kind of work the gas out of my body.

Good Luck!
Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#8 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

Gas-X helps alot. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE GELCAPS!!!! Chewable Gax-X contain gluten!

Karen

Karen,
do the pepermint chewables gas X have gluten...they told me on the phone they don't but then again, we know the answers we get all depend on 'who picks up the phone'
I get the gas too and it is like a 'bubble machine' and i only get it when gluten,
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#9 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

sounds like it could be acid reflux.
christine
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#10 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

Gas-X Chewables have gluten in them, all flavours.....

I confirmed that by phone up here in Canada, maybe it's different in the States, but this is the delphi list on it:

GasX (Novartis) (800.452.0511) (v?=07/02)
Softgels (gluten-free, contains corn and maltodextrin)
Chewable Tablets (NOT gluten-free)

I learned this out the hard way, believe me!! <_<

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#11 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

Karen,
You nailed it. It is very scarey. I have to keep reminding myself that the cardiologist said my heart was good. My pain is not as disbursed as yours. That sounds horrible.
Christine,
You said it might be "acid reflux". Don't you have to be tasting acid to have acid reflux ? or burping up food ? So, maybe an antacid would help ? Is tums gluten free ? zantac ?
Thanks for your help ... marcia

#12 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

i've had problems with acid reflux for over 14 years----and i rarely ever taste acid in my mouth----unless something happens to make it almost all the way up to my mouth, but then it kind of tastes like vomit. i would get horrible pain in my chest, clear through to my back, sometimes all the way up through my neck and it would make my teeth hurt. one night i woke up with just my teeth hurting, but after i got up, the pain in my chest moved in. i used to take protonix, but i can't afford it any more. i am doing ok, but quite often i feel like i have something in my throat---it is a referred sensation from my lower esophagus. both my twins are on prevacid, and i am hoping that the longer they are on the gluten-free diet, that maybe we will be able to get them off the prevacid. i think i might have a stricture in my esophagus, but i just haven't gotten around to going to a GI for myself. sometimes when i swallow food it gets stuck and hurts horribly. it usually only last a few seconds, but one time it lasted for at least a half hour. i kept throwing up what was in my esophagus and it would feel better for a few seconds, and then start hurting again. i was about to drive myself to the emergency room when it finally moved. you probably didn't want to hear anything that graphic.........when my reflux is actin up, i sometimes will burp alot.
christine
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

I've been dealing with these kinds of symptoms for about 2 months now. I have a lot of pressure just below my ribs, that also comes up my chest and I feel it in the base of my neck. I belch frequently--something I never used to do before. The pressure also causes me to be able to hear my heart pounding in my ears. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I mentioned it to my GI a few weeks ago, he told me to take Phazyme. It does help a bit. Could an acid food like orange juice trigger it? I ask because when I wake up, it's not there, but after breakfast is when it starts. Or is it just having food in my system? I found it interesting that so many of you have similar symptoms--I wonder if it is connected to going gluten-free? It never happened to me before, even when I was very sick.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:31 PM

sounds a lot like reflux. Ask your GI doc if you can try some Nexium for a month or two...see if it helps. It did wonders for me and I was in constant pain before I started taking it, a lot like what you've described

#15 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:39 PM

ah I remember this pain well, I used to get this really really bad, the year leading up to my dx of celiac, I ended up in the ER several times with chest pains and burping... every time I was assured it was acid reflux and given prescriptions... Prilosec, Zantac, etc... I've had this only a few times since going gluten-free, but the longer I am gluten-free the further in between episodes of this, I notice that when it happens I cannot lay down on my left side, too uncomfortable... I end up taking a pepto chewable which usually makes me throw up and then I feel better :huh: I'm just glad it doesn't happen often anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: