This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's Red Mill?

key

Ginnis Newbie

I avoid Bob's Red Mill products. I have reacted to their so-called gluten-free items. I'm suspicious that they contain too much wheat (or rye or barley). It's irresponsible for them to market these items as gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

I eat their Creamy Rice hot cereal daily. I expected it to be gluten free. Still new at this so don't know if it is bothering me or not.

I think I reacted to their Mighty Tasty hot cereal and figured it was the corn that was bothering me. Now I'm wondering if it was cross contamination. I may try it later down the line when I feel I have healed and see if it still bothers me.

I thought Bob's Red Mill was a brand I could trust as long as it said Gluten Free on the package :(

• 1 year later...
TomSki Newbie

Hello to all,

my daughter is very sensitive, but she conceals that she is in pain because she knows that we will put her on a strict diet for few days and there will be no sweets during that time whether gluten-free labeled or not. Since she was not telling us that her tummy hurts we did not really catch her reactions, but after recent bake out using BOB'S RED MILL products I noticed her belly really swollen and bulged out. I had a conversation and she admitted that her tummy hurt at night. My wife kept feeding her the cake for 3 day and the swelling did not subside. I ordered some Elisa tests to run check their products, I will let you know of my findings. Now that I think about it each time my wife baked using their products her tummy was swollen. Anyone knows how clean the King Arthur's brand is?

TomSki Newbie

I hate the fact that the gluten-free labeling is not regulated, I am sure 90% of the current products in the market would disappear if they were really required to take proper precautions. The tests that they run are bogus. How can you rely on a small sample from large batch of a powder. It is not a liquid to be able to mix it properly to make assumptions that a sample from a large batch will reflect what really is in it. There might be pockets of high gluten concentration and they wont even know it. This is really depressing. Seems that again money is more important that human well being in this world.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hello to all,

my daughter is very sensitive, but she conceals that she is in pain because she knows that we will put her on a strict diet for few days and there will be no sweets during that time whether gluten-free labeled or not. Since she was not telling us that her tummy hurts we did not really catch her reactions, but after recent bake out using BOB'S RED MILL products I noticed her belly really swollen and bulged out. I had a conversation and she admitted that her tummy hurt at night. My wife kept feeding her the cake for 3 day and the swelling did not subside. I ordered some Elisa tests to run check their products, I will let you know of my findings. Now that I think about it each time my wife baked using their products her tummy was swollen. Anyone knows how clean the King Arthur's brand is?

Welcome to the forum! How long has your daughter been diagnosed? Many times our bodies are pretty wonky until we get a good grasp of the gluten-free diet and she may also be developing other food sensitivities (lactose intolerance is very common for a lot of us).

Some people have reportedly reacted to Bob's Red Mill products even though they test. Is your daughter sensitive to gluten-free oats by any chance? I believe they are processed in the same facility. I seem to do fine with Bob's Red Mill products so it definitely varies by individual.

King Arthur flours are certified gluten-free by the GFCO, which means they test to <10 ppm, and they are manufactured in a dedicated gluten-free facility. Open Original Shared Link

I hate the fact that the gluten-free labeling is not regulated, I am sure 90% of the current products in the market would disappear if they were really required to take proper precautions. The tests that they run are bogus. How can you rely on a small sample from large batch of a powder. It is not a liquid to be able to mix it properly to make assumptions that a sample from a large batch will reflect what really is in it. There might be pockets of high gluten concentration and they wont even know it. This is really depressing. Seems that again money is more important that human well being in this world.

Right now the FDA has no standards as to what constitutes gluten-free. Hopefully that will change soon and it's a change that's far overdue. IMHO I don't believe that 90% of the products would disappear if they were tested. There are a lot of responsible companies manufacturing gluten-free products. I don't believe it to be as bleak as you suggest.

If your daughter continues to have problems, it might be best to go on a whole foods diet and eliminate processed foods entirely until she heals.

ElseB Contributor

Some people have reportedly reacted to Bob's Red Mill products even though they test. Is your daughter sensitive to gluten-free oats by any chance? I believe they are processed in the same facility. I seem to do fine with Bob's Red Mill products so it definitely varies by individual.

Bob's sells gluten free oats and regular oats. The gluten free oats are processed in the gluten free facility, separate from the regular oats. The regular oats are processed in the other facilities.

sa1937 Community Regular

Bob's sells gluten free oats and regular oats. The gluten free oats are processed in the gluten free facility, separate from the regular oats. The regular oats are processed in the other facilities.

Yes, I know. Some people have problems with oats, even if the oats are gluten-free and therefore cannot use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes, I know. Some people have problems with oats, even if the oats are gluten-free and therefore cannot use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free products.

Yes, this is why I react to Bob's products--the gluten-free oats.

Roda Rising Star

[/quote/]

Yep this is exactly why I can't eat Bob's Red Mill gluten free products. I react very badly to gluten free oats. I don't use King Arthur either. The few times I used their products I seemed fine, but I decided it just wasn't worth the risk for me. I recently got an email back from King Arthur about possible gluten free oat cross contamination. Here is the response I got back:

----- Original Message -----

To: <filo130@embarqmail.com>

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 4:16 PM

Subject: [kaf #303835] Any possibility of gluen free oat contamination?

>

> Hello,

> Thanks for your email. I checked with the merchandising team and they

> verified that gluten-free oats are processed in the same facility as our gluten-free

> mixes, so cross contamination is a possibility.

>

> We are sorry for any inconvenience.

>

>

>

> Sincerely,

>

> MaryJane

>

> King Arthur Flour

> Baker's Catalogue, Inc

> 1-800-827-6836

> bakers@kingarthurflour.com

> 100% Employee Owned~ 100% Committed to Quality

• 4 weeks later...
norcal-gf Newbie

After being gluten free for about 2 weeks I made an Apple Crisp from a gluten-free cookbook using Bob's Gluten Free Oats. I got gluttoned badly. I was confused about the gluten free Oats also, but read on a gluten-free Blog that Oats (no matter if they are gluten free or not) share the same protein causing the reaction. I plan on skipping Oats! I'm a bit afraid to try them ever again!

AVR1962 Collaborator

I really love Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty hot cereal. My kids all like it and it is so much better then other hot rice cereals. It is frustrating. I am going to try it again and on my son, because he didn't seem to be in pain. Just diarhea once, but he hasn't been having this problem in a long time, so if it happens again then I guess we won't be able to eat it.

WIsh that we didn't have to worry about such things. Very annoying. Curious to know if anyone else reacts to this.

Monica

Monica, I have not eaten the cereal myself but have had other Mill's products that made me feel sick to my stomach, not a gluten reaction though. I started looking at what was in the products and which ones I would get the sick stomach from and connected it to xanthun gum. Is there any of it in the product?

burdee Enthusiast

I have eaten Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty gluten free hot cereal since I was diagnosed with celiac disease 7-1/2 years ago. I've never had a 'gluten symptom' reaction to that cereal. I've also used other BRM gluten free products and have not reacted. However, I AM super sensitive to gluten contamination. (I get excruciating gut pain, bloating and gas which lasts for over 2 weeks.) My last contamination was from eating one tortilla chip (corn) fried in contaminated oil at a restaurant 6 years ago. I have 6 other diagnosed delayed reaction allergies which all (except one) give me gut pain and bloating reactions (less severe than my gluten reaction) when I eat foods with those allergen ingredients.

I wonder whether people, who react to BRM gluten-free products, have other undiagnosed allergies, intolerances and/or sensitivities, perhaps ingredients in the Mighty Tasty cereal or even other foods they eat with that cereal. I spent 3 years getting allergy (ELISA blood) tests to determine the causes of my painful gut symptoms. After I abstained from all those diagnosed foods, I never again got the symptoms, unless I had accidental contamination, which I've unfortunately had with each of my diagnosed allergens. So I know my test results were valid.

Roda Rising Star

After being gluten free for about 2 weeks I made an Apple Crisp from a gluten-free cookbook using Bob's Gluten Free Oats. I got gluttoned badly. I was confused about the gluten free Oats also, but read on a gluten-free Blog that Oats (no matter if they are gluten free or not) share the same protein causing the reaction. I plan on skipping Oats! I'm a bit afraid to try them ever again!

I would venture to say that you react to the avenin the protein in oats. I first tried Bobs gluten free oats after I had been gluten free for 7 months. It was HORRIBLE. I had reflux withing 30 minutes, then for two days had horrible abdominal pain, broke out in a pimply itchy rash on my back side and was constipated for a week. Never again did I eat them. A year after I was gluten free I started having issues again. The issues lasted 8 months. I was faced with having to take steroids. I refused and eliminates all processed foods, including gluten free stuff from my diet. Within three months I was better. That's when I realized that I was possibly reacting to gluten free oat contamination in gluten free products. They do not test for the presence of avenin. I never gave the cc from them a thought in the rest of Bob's products after I ate the oats, so I continued to consume other Bob's products. Several months later I wanted to test my theory. I ate some baked goods made from BRM flours. BAM, did I react horrible. I have also reacted to other products, not just the BRM that have gluten free oat cross contamination.

• 2 months later...
Johnefriendly Newbie

I recently ate some Bobs Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal and am feeling seriously sick. I have no idea what it is but I am bloated and my stomach is killing me and I'm starting to feel weak and nauseous. I've eaten the BRM Rice hot cereal before and had no problem.

burdee Enthusiast

My son and I have eaten BOb's Red Mill "Mighty Tasty hot cereal" and it says gluten free on it. Anyway, my baby had diarhea that evening and otherwise was fine, no fussing, etc. I didn't eat it last time, because I got so bloated, etc. after the first time I ate it. I am not sure this was the culprit, but just curious to anyone else having problems with it.

Thanks,

Monica

I have eaten BRM 'Mighty Tasty' hot cereal at least 3x a week for the past 7-1/2 years and never reacted. I'm one of those 'super sensitive' types who get excruciating gut pain for about 3 weeks after consuming a bite of gluten containing foods. However, I also tested for other delayed reaction food allergies (Enterolab and ELISA tests) during the first 2 years after my gluten intolerance/celiac diagnosis. So I'm not consuming any other foods to which I might have delayed reaction allergies.

If you reacted to the BRM "Mighty Tasty" hot cereal, I'd recommend that you consider what other delayed reaction allergies you might have. If you haven't taken an ELISA blood test for IgG allergies, I suggest you consider that. Skin tests can't diagnosed delayed reaction allergies and only eliminat IgE allergies for food. RAST tests only look for IgE allergies. Elimination diets are difficult to use for diagnosis, because we can be allergic to almost anything. I'm allergic to cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg, as well as gluten, dairy, soy, and eggs. My husband is allergic to blueberries and grapes. We grow both of those in our yard. He never suspected an allergy to such commonly considered 'healthy' foods.

Johnefriendly Newbie

If you reacted to the BRM "Mighty Tasty" hot cereal, I'd recommend that you consider what other delayed reaction allergies you might have. If you haven't taken an ELISA blood test for IgG allergies, I suggest you consider that. Skin tests can't diagnosed delayed reaction allergies and only eliminat IgE allergies for food. RAST tests only look for IgE allergies. Elimination diets are difficult to use for diagnosis, because we can be allergic to almost anything. I'm allergic to cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg, as well as gluten, dairy, soy, and eggs. My husband is allergic to blueberries and grapes. We grow both of those in our yard. He never suspected an allergy to such commonly considered 'healthy' foods.

You were right it wasn't Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. My mistake. It ended up being salsa that was a little old. I'm embarrassed. The timing was so right. I thought for sure it was the cereal because that was the only thing I added to my diet. Sorry Bob!

Archived