20 replies to this topic

#1 covsooze

covsooze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm rice intolerant as my stomach feels really sore after eating rice. For those of you who suffer from this, have you had to cut out rice cakes, rice flour and other things made with rice? I want to try testing via elimination, so I guess that means excluding all sources of rice, right?
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

Ha Ha--I think I just answered this in your other thread about baking! As I said, I think I'm becomming intolerant to rice, also. In Dangerous Grains, the author talks about some people with Celiac not being able to eat rice, either. I posted the section--it was short--a while back. When I drink rice milk--Pacific Foods Brand--I get symptoms exactly like gluten. D, cramping, nausea, brain fog, all of it. I think that's because it's a more concentrated form. Yesterday, I ate rice several times throughout the day, and woke up very nauseous at 4 AM. I still feel itchy and a bit achey. I have an appt. with an allergist the 1st. week of March. The nurse told me they test for reg. food allergies and also do the RAST test. I will have a consult the 1st. visit to see if he will be willing to work with me to find the cause of my symptoms, as I believe other foods are affecting me. If that does not work out, I plan to have my blood tested by an independant lab.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

I have a rice intolerance/allergy (they say it's an allergy, but I don't think so. it's definitely not anaphylitical, I just get uber brain fog and fatigue afterwards). anyway, it makes it tough in some respects because of rice starch and whatnot being in a lot of things.

for rice cakes, I buy corn cakes. when i bake and cook, i use amaranth / soy / corn / potato / flax ... everything but rice (and buckwheat - intolerant to that too! <_< ).

it was irritating at the beginning. it's not too hard as i focus mainly on whole fresh foods, but when you ONCE in a while want a treat and everything has brown rice syrup as the sweetener, sometimes you just wanna raise a little hell. i mean ONE day i want to try soy delicious carob peppermint ice cream. :D
Gluten-free, Vegan

#4 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

I am intolerant to lectins, which is present in ALL grains, including rice. I tried rice about five weeks ago to be sure, and it was awful. First I got a terrible stomach ache, by the next morning I was wheezing, and by that afternoon I had awful pains in my wrists, feet, ankles and knees and had trouble walking up and down stairs. I was also really tired and had no energy for days. By the evening I had diarrhea as well.

Every one of the lectins (and gluten is one) seems to cause a slightly different reaction, but they all make me really sick.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:51 AM

Not only intolerant, but very allergic! Last time I ate rice, I ate 2 crackers, and wound up in the ER with a bad reaction!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:11 PM

no, but it's actually not *that* uncommon in countries that rely more heavily on rice - particularly the asian countries.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 jecareborn

jecareborn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:33 AM

I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for me on the rice allergy subject. I have reduced my diet to all locally grown organic produce and meats (less processing, less chance of cross contamination – I’m extremely sensitive to gluten) but it is expensive, bland, and difficult to maintain enough variety for nutritional purposes. I have tried to eat processed food, even the organic ones that say gluten free, but I usually get a reaction and there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I thought it may be due to cross contamination at non-dedicated facilities, but I am starting to doubt that. Since I have not been able to find gluten free, organic, unprocessed grains, I keep trying different minimally processed ones, and usually end up with a reaction. Any suggestion on how to determine if my reactions are from a rice allergy or from gluten cross contamination? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Additionally, one thing that I have figured out is that whenever I use gluten free flour mixes, even from dedicated facilities, I get a strong reaction, even if it doesn’t contain rice. The last one was from a dedicated facility that also tests all its food for gluten before labeling it gluten-free. It only contained potato starch with garbanzo bean, tapioca, white sorghum, and fava bean flours. Any ideas of what I might be reacting to in this mix?

Thanks everyone!

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for me on the rice allergy subject. I have reduced my diet to all locally grown organic produce and meats (less processing, less chance of cross contamination – I’m extremely sensitive to gluten) but it is expensive, bland, and difficult to maintain enough variety for nutritional purposes. I have tried to eat processed food, even the organic ones that say gluten free, but I usually get a reaction and there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I thought it may be due to cross contamination at non-dedicated facilities, but I am starting to doubt that. Since I have not been able to find gluten free, organic, unprocessed grains, I keep trying different minimally processed ones, and usually end up with a reaction. Any suggestion on how to determine if my reactions are from a rice allergy or from gluten cross contamination? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Additionally, one thing that I have figured out is that whenever I use gluten free flour mixes, even from dedicated facilities, I get a strong reaction, even if it doesn’t contain rice. The last one was from a dedicated facility that also tests all its food for gluten before labeling it gluten-free. It only contained potato starch with garbanzo bean, tapioca, white sorghum, and fava bean flours. Any ideas of what I might be reacting to in this mix?

Thanks everyone!

Hi--I am going through the same thing. I feel that I am intolerant to grains. I know what you mean about sticking to the produce and meats--good stuff, but sometimes I'd give my eye tooth for a sandwich or a cookie. I get gastro. symptoms and also some skin problems. I am going to see an allergist on March 3rd. The first appt. will be for a consultation only--I'm hoping that he will be willing to work with me regarding all of these additional intolerances. I guess that's a good start. I have also looked into getting my blood tested by an independant lab. I'll start with the allergist, though, as my insurance will only cover tests ordered by a doctor in the plan. Whatever I find out, I'll post. Have you ever had any testing? Oh--about your flour mix--I'm also sensitive to tapioca flour--I don't know if that's techanically a grain. You could be sensitive to any of the ingredients--trying them one at a time would probably tell you something.
Patti

#9 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

You sound like you are intolerant to lectins. Gluten is one of them, and I react very strongly to them all. That includes all grains (including rice and corn), all legumes (including soy and peanuts), all milk products, eggs, all nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant).

And except for the nightshades (because they are high in salicylates as well, and so they're a double-whammy for me), none showed up in intolerance testing for me. When I eat rice I have pretty much the same reaction as with gluten (hopefully without the intestinal damage), the same goes for dairy and eggs. Legumes aren't quite as bad as that, but bad enough.

You might want to try excluding all high lectin foods from your diet for a couple of weeks, and then test one at a time after that, to see what (if any) reaction you will get.

For more info, follow the lectins link in my signature. There is a wealth of information there, and that lady can explain things so much better than me.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

Thanks, Ursula--I've actually been meaning to PM you because I can tell by your posts that you are very knowledgeable about this. I do seem to react to all the grains--that is definate. Legumes are ok if I eat them no more than, say, once a week. More than that, I start to have digestive problems. I cannot do soy or egg at all. Even before gluten-free, eggs gave me the very worst nausea about 4 hours after I ate them. The nightshades are mixed--I can eat potatoes and peppers, but tomatoes cause acid D (sorry!). I have looked at your link--several times. Very informative. I also noticed from your posts about your trip, you eat dinner-type foods in the AM. I am going to try that because there are no breakfast foods that I can eat that will keep me satisfied until lunch--I'm down to a banana and ice water to go with my vitamins! I figure I can do leftovers from dinner for breakfast and my usual salad for lunch.
Patti

#11 elisabet

elisabet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

Ursula,
can tell me what you eat?
thanks

#12 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

My dd is also allergic to rice ~ on the RAST test, it was actually a tad higher than wheat. It's nice to find some others that are avoiding it as well.... it's so hard since rice seems to be in almost everything that is a WF/gluten-free alternative.

I'm going to read the link in Ursula's siggy too.. :D
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#13 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

For the people who asked, this is what I actually eat - and most of you won't have to be as restricted as that, of course, since I have to cut out most salicylates, too (there is a definite limit every day for those, if I don't want to be in pain the next day).

Meat: Beef (no liver), chicken, turkey, fish (no other seafood, but I never liked things like shrimps anyway), bacon at times (but pork seems to be a problem to a degree - have to test that more, but I am TIRED of being my own guinea pig!).

Vegetables: Celery, bamboo shoots, white cabbage, iceberg lettuce, rutabaga I can have in unlimited amounts (too bad that none of those have ever been my favourites :blink: ). I can have limited amounts of fresh asparagus, brussel sprouts, green peas, leek, red cabbage, shallots. And very small amounts (and not every day) of carrots, cauliflower, beets, green beans, onion, turnip, mushrooms.

The only fruit I can eat is peeled pears (the peel contains salicylates), and once in a while a peeled golden delicious apple. Bananas are supposed to be safe, but give me a stomach ache and itching in my mouth if I eat more than one a week. I can have the juice of half a lime a day (lemons contain a lot more salicylate), which is great for salad dressing (with some sunflower oil, sea salt and maple syrup).

The only safe sweetener is maple syrup, the only safe seasoning sea salt. I can have small amounts of fresh parsley. The only oil I can use is cold pressed sunflower oil.

The only safe seeds are poppy seeds, and I can have some hazelnuts and sunflower seeds once in a while.

The only things I can drink are water, chamomile tea and decaffeinated coffee (which I don't like anyway).

The absolute WORST things, that make me the sickest, are grains (which includes gluten, of course), Aspirin (which is pure salicylic acid, and could put me in anaphylactic shock I now know), eggs, milk products, tomatoes, honey, all herbs and spices, dried fruits, berries and juices (other than pure pear juice).

Anyway, for the most part, I don't mind, because I am feeling so much better, and I am losing weight. I had not been able to lose weight for nearly twenty years, and was steadily gaining (despite severe diarrhea for six months last year), and was getting desperate.

And I am not on heavy duty painkillers 24 hours a day any more, either. Unless you know what it's like to be in severe chronic pain for most of your life, you would have trouble understanding what it means to suddenly be so much better that you can stop those painkillers, that are surely slowly killing you!

#14 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Ursula - I know it's probably small comfort to you, but thanks ever so much for sharing so much info in your posts about what you've ben through - it's so helpful :wub:

What I'm interested in knowing is, how did you work out what you can and can't eat? Were you on the gluten-free diet very long before trying to figure out your other intolerances? I've only been gluten-free for 6 weeks, so maybe it's too early for me to worry about other intolerances. :unsure:

This evening, I had lamb stir fry with quinoa instead of rice. It was def gluten-free as I made it - in a new wok as well so as to avoid CC. Now I've got a sore stomach. Surely I can't be intolerant to quinoa as well. Reading your post made me wonder if it was the peppers. Tomatoes are definitely a no-no for me, and I think to a lesser extent, so is egg plant. I eat loads of potatoes and love them so if I found all nightshdes/ lectins are a problem, I don't know what I'd do :( :o

Funny thing is, for the first couple of weeks of being gluten-free, my GI symptoms were far better than they'd been in ages. <<sigh>>
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#15 jecareborn

jecareborn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I agree with covsooze. Ursula, thank you. The two links for lectins and salicylates were very helpful. Thank you! I realize now that what I thought was a hypersensitivity to gluten, may be other intolerances. I know I’m gluten and dairy intolerant, those were pretty obvious once I got started. However, I still have persistent issues that I thought were from gluten cross contamination. Now I suspect they might be something entirely different. So thank you so much Ursula. I am sorry you suffered so much for so long. But like you, I find joy in actually having a chance to greatly improve my health. By eliminating the source of the problem rather then medicating the symptoms I feel I, at last, have a chance to decrease my dependency on pharmaceuticals - those “helpful” little pills that seem to resolve one problem only to create two more down the road.

I do have a question though too. With all your sensitivities, has this made buying personal health care products, as well as household cleaners more difficult? What do you do about those types of items?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: