This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do I Make gluten-free Rice Krispy Treats?

munchkinette

munchkinette Collaborator

I'm so bummed to find out that regular Rice Krispies have that flavoring in them. So what is a good gluten-free alternative? I really like that Erewhon Rice Twice stuff, but that has both the crispies and the puffed rice. I don't want the puffed rice, but it seems like that is easier to find. Where can I find just the crispy rice?

What about marshmallows? I found some kosher marshmallows that don't look like they have gluten in them. I've seen gluten-free marshmallows mentioned before, but I have no idea where to find them. I'd rather not make them from scratch, although I have before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WGibs Apprentice

I buy Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice at Whole Foods. It's just like rice crispies. Just be careful to get the version that says gluten-free on the box. Erewhon makes another one that looks identical but has malt in it.

I don't know about marshmallows, but I bet someone else will! The Jet-Puffed ones are Kraft, though. I did a quick google and it looks like they are recommended by gluten-free websites. Just check the ingredients on the package you buy to be sure. If the ingredients on them are safe-looking, you would know they are okay since it's Kraft.

Random Guy Apprentice

have you tried arrowhead mills puffed rice? the ingredients are "puffed whole grain brown rice"

they're not as krispy as kellog's rice krispies, but it's worth a try

funny that there was a post about this. i was planning on making them for the first time this weekend

i'll let you know how they are.

-rg

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

I'm going to try making them with EnviroKids Koala Crisp for chocolatey ones!! :)

mmaccartney Explorer

Campfire brand marshmallows are gluten-free

Then, you can use Cocoa Pebbles, or Fruity Pebbles...

MMMMMMM

VydorScope Proficient

As mentioned above, EnviroKids Koala Crisp, Pebles, or realy any of the gluten-free rice cearls will work.

lorka150 Collaborator

I've used a mix of puffed quinoa / puffed amaranth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

So Kraft is generally good with labeling? I think I looked at the Jet-Puffed in the store, but that dang "natural flavoring" kept me from buying them.

Random Guy Apprentice

this is what fraft says about their labeling regarding gluten

We realize that making accurate food choices is importantto people who follow a gluten-free diet. To help you makeappropriate food selections, ingredient statements of Kraft,Oscar Mayer and Nabisco products clearly identify anyproduct that contains a source of gluten. Please rememberto carefully read ingredient statements each time you makefood selections.

good luck

-rg

elonwy Enthusiast

I eat Jet-puffed all the time. THe kraft marshmallows are safe, though I always recommend labels be read because we know how companies love to change things. Kraft will always state clearly wheat, barley rye or oats.

THe Erewhon Cripsy Brown rice is exactly like rice cripsy's, except for the being brown part. As someone said earlier, be careful because they make one that is "wheat-free" but has malt in it and they make one that is gluten free with no malt. Why?

My mom made superb "rice crispy" treats using this cereal and kraft marshmallows.

Elonwy

WGibs Apprentice

Inspired by you all, I made a pan of these today with Cocoa Pebbles and mini Jet-Puffed marshmallows. I had never seen a cocoa pebble before.

Anyway, I can assure you that this combination works just fine. I will eat way too many of these over the next 48 hours.

Archived