69 replies to this topic

#16 elfkin

elfkin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

My first reaction was very much what Karen said, I am so afraid that this will cause companies not to provide gluten-free lists, or not to produce gluten-free food. :(
I hope that it doesn't turn out that way! Maybe we should all write our favorite companies with glowing letters of appreciation for their support! Honey vs. vinegar!
Mother to Whit (celiac and food allergies diagosed 11/04, gluten-free ever since), Addie (gluten intolerant - gluten-free since 1/06) and wife to Tim (celiac and gluten-free since 1/06)
Gluten free/Peanut/Nut free house!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:21 PM

She'll probably win the lawsuit because food outlets and manufacturers have strict liability on their products. This means that the Plaintiff needs less proof than a regular lawsuit would need to prove their case. Food is a tricky issue in court. Additionally, they'll probably just give her money to get rid of the case. So one way or another she'll win.

I am in agreement that a lawsuit could send the food industry a message which would harm celiacs cause. It's unfortunate that this had to happen.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#18 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

What if we all contacted McDondlas laywers and offer to join thier side?

- Vincent -

#19 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

You know what the dumb thing about this lawsuit, well, one of the dumb things, is that McDonald's food is CRAP!

You can't get an ulcer from an isolated incident with a kid size fry...

So she's suing because she repeatedly fed her sickly child with fast food french fries? Dum-bass.

Maybe her health insurance should sue her for making her child sick :angry:
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#20 Idahogirl

Idahogirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

I love McDonald's fries (as a treat, not every day!). I'm wondering if what they said about "cooking the gluten out" is true, like with vinegar. Should be interesting. I'm tired of giving up the few delicious things in life I have left to hold on to. They are so far and few in between, and it seems like they are slowly disappearing.

It's time people start taking responsibility for their choices and stop blaming others. There are so many ways to accidentally get gluten, and those parents had to know that fast food fries were a risk.

Lisa

#21 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

So she's suing because she repeatedly fed her sickly child with fast food french fries? Dum-bass.

While I think what Mcdonald's did was TOTALLY unacceptable- I agree with you on this one. This will cause more harm than good. It's one thing to sue a company for not being truthful about its ingredients but QUITE ANOTHER to claim that it caused a disease. It's like the suit where the people sued because fast food made the obese- you have a CHOICE where you eat. I understand that it's a treat for children and I am angry about this; however, the wording on this is ALL wrong. I hope this doesn't cause more harm than good. Ugh!

#22 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

"claiming its French fries caused their 5-year-old daughter to suffer epileptic seizures, ulcers and the autoimmune intestinal disorder Celiac disease."

Utterly brainless and completely without basis.

Their child was suffering for two years and they let her keep eating at a place like McDonald's? The parents should be arrested for child neglect.

Obviously some lawyers just looking for cash.

richard

#23 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

Ugh- what a mess! It had potential to be a positive (well, sort of) publicity, but this is NOT the kind of lawsuit that will further anyone's cause. And Richard, you're right- if your child had such serious health problems why would you feed them at Mcd's? it's one thing for an adult to make that choice for themselves, but quite another for a child. :angry:

#24 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:08 PM

Ugh- what a mess! It had potential to be a positive (well, sort of) publicity, but this is NOT the kind of lawsuit that will further anyone's cause. And Richard, you're right- if your child had such serious health problems why would you feed them at Mcd's? it's one thing for an adult to make that choice for themselves, but quite another for a child. :angry:

EXACTLY. My son for example always reacted to McDonalds fries, and get this BEFORE WE EVER HEARD OF celiac disease we stopped letting have any of thier fries at all. He has not had them since. Bah, do not get me started on my ppl need to take personal responibilty speach, I'd prbly get ban'd! :angry:

- Vincent -

#25 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

Just FYI: The woman who sued McD's for the hot coffee: her daughter had POA and filed the suit "on her mother's behalf . . . . ." Does that sound familiar?
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#26 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

What's POA? :huh:

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#27 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

What's POA? :huh:

Karen

Power Of Atonery

Means you can sign legal docs and etc as if you were that person.

- Vincent -

#28 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

People seem to depend on fast food way too much. What happened to cooking at home?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#29 DianeByrd

DianeByrd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

I so agree with all the posts that this lawsuit is very bad for the celiac community. It's hard enough to get a company (restaurant or food manufacturer) to say that a product is safe to eat. Even companies that sell specialty gluten-free foods and ingredients have warning labels! How can we ever be certain if what we've eaten is gluten-free if our symptoms are subtle? I wouldn't mind not eating out, except it is very convenient being on the go with kids, and it is a yummy change of pace.

Diane (gluten-free since January 26th)
Diane

dd: failure-to-thrive beginning at 12 months, thriving since gluten-free diet 1/06
Enterolab tested

dd: failure-to-thrive and chronic constipation beginning at 15 months, resolved after gluten, milk, and soy free
Enterolab tested

#30 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:21 AM

Bah, do not get me started on my ppl need to take personal responibilty speach, I'd prbly get ban'd! :angry:

I would probably get banned for joining you, Vincent. It is my pet peeve, the one I am most vocal about: People have to take responsibility for themselves and their children! That includes, but is not limited to, what you feed them when you know they have food problems!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: