69 replies to this topic

#31 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE!!!!

I posted this because I feel thrilled celiac disease is in the news. And everyone is bashing this family -- REMEMBER what it was like when all of us here didn't have a clue of what we were dealing with. Why food was making us sick. Or what to do to stay alive.

You should all welcome this family with open arms and lend support. NOT BASH THEM.

My point was -- celiac disease will be front page new. It will be headlines... Think about it the food giant McDonalds. People will ask ---what is it called? How do you say it? What does it cause? Or they will learn they have the disease too. If for nothing else it will bring awareness to our country. And then all these big food companies will have to give us real food not laced with all the unseen food additives that are poising babies and others like us. Say what you will -- but think before you bash other people.

And if McDonald says the food is GLUTEN FREE. It should be! We should hold their feet to the fire to be sure it is.

Yes, it's your choice to eat it or not. BUT -- When these companies say it's GLUTEN FREE when in fact we will find it is a BIG LIE we need to make then tell the truth.

Maybe those bashing here -- are angry about other things. Think twice about someone else, that what's wrong with this country. People don't consider others, and only themselves. So think hard again about what your posting. I'm sure you'll send me hate mail -- Whatever -- but it show the type of person you really are.

POA -- Power of Attorney

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

I dont think I'm a hateful person at all and I always think about what I'm posting before I post it. I suffered from this just like alot of other people...I got pushed around by the doctors just like alot of other people. My thoughts are not about hate but they are about the bottom line. The bottom line is Celiacs are in the minority. The fact that Celiac is in the news because of a class action lawsuit is not a good thing for us in terms of eating out and getting more businesses to recognize Celiac and offer gluten-free menus. Noones gonna wanna touch this if they fear being sued. From this point on it will be considered a risk to label something as gluten-free. I personally, dont believe McDonalds was trying to deceive Celiacs when they said the fries were safe.

JMO
Rachel

#33 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

My problem is that the lawsuits that are going on are poor lawsuits. They don't make anyone look good, least of all the Celiac community. If they were intelligent lawsuits, maybe.

It's very nice of Mc Donald's to post a gluten-free menu, and while I am miffed at them for the fry fiasco, it all comes down to personal responsibility. If you fed your kid fries repeatedly and they always made the kid sick, why would you keep doing it? It's a fishy sounding case.

I don't consider myself to be hateful, but I do think that people take advantage of situations for selfish and personal gains.

I do want us to get good publicity, a money hungry militant image is not beneficial.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#34 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

There will only be one real loser in this, thanks to these lawsuits, US the ppl that have celiac disease. In then end WE ALL LOOSE. Stop and think beyond this case to what it will bring. You do not win companies over to our cuase by attacking them, no more then you win friends that way.

- Vincent -

#35 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

I agree with Rachel, ChelsE and VydorScope. I ate out last night and met a friend for lunch today. I had to speak to both magrs. about ingreds. or something. I made sure to thank them for the gluten-free foods that they served and PLEASE do not stop it, because of the stupid McD's lawsuits. I said that we as Celiacs understand that CC could happen in their restaurants and we take that risk upon ourselves whenever we eat out. But that we Celiacs thank them for offering us choices and appreciate it. I am wondering if we should not send new emails to McD's, hoping that in some way we can stop the trickle down affect. If it becomes noticeable that a giant like McD's has permantly deleted the gluten free foods, then other chains might follow suit. If they dicide to keep that list after the testing, it would possibly be of help to us. Just a thought and please don't flame me for it as it has been a bad day.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#36 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

Heck, for all we know, this whole fiasco could be an acid test, and McDonald's is seeing what would happen if there was an ingredient change or somesuch.

A little conspiracy theorist, but you never know :ph34r:

But I'll bet ten bucks that's what the rest of the restaurant industry is taking it as, an acid test.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#37 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

I also wasn't being hateful towards the people. I was just confused as to why they would allow their child to eat the fries if they made her sick. I would never sue in a situation like that. I mean many of us were probably eating MacDonalds fries before we got diagnosed. Obviously the fries alone didn't cause all those problems, unless the child had a diet of pure fries. How are they going to prove that the fries caused all those problems?

Eating out is a hudge risk and like I said before, too many people rely on fast food. Cooking at home is the best way to avoid getting sick. Sure eating out is convenient and all, but it can be risky.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#38 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

I'm in the middle here because as a parent that did continue to let my child eat McD's fries even though they made us sick, IT WAS BECAUSE I REFUSED TO BELIEVE IT WAS THE FRIES MAKING US SICK because McDonald's is such a large company, and they took the time to put together a gluten free menu, I thought (stupidly, yes) that it could be trusted. I kept wanting to believe that our reactions were from something else I had done during the day, that it was my fault or that it was simply a cross contamination issue at McD's that day. I didn't want to believe it was the fries because THEY SAID THEY WERE GLUTEN FREE and I trusted them.

But, I also don't want to scare companies away from providing us with safe gluten free options. I don't want them to add wheat to food just so they don't have to deal with the threat of being sued.

Sure the thought crossed my mind of suing them in the beginning, BUT, I do not want any money out of this, just safe menu options for me and my child... that's all.

#39 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

No matter how safe the menu options are - we also have a threat of cross contamination. I personally choose to take that chance. But, I try hard to be selective on where I dine so that I minimize my risks. I also speak out when dining. I do not want to be a prisoner and never know the joys of dining out with friends. Nothing better then a meal I don't have to make :lol: . I just emailed the five chain restaurants that provide me with gluten-free choices to thank them. I don't know what I would do if we could not meet friends for dinner. I am still too tired to entertain. Even tho, I entertain menu's I would like to serve friends here in my home.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#40 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

The only thing McD's is guilty of is poor communication. They were trying to comply with the new food labeling laws and went about it all wrong. I don't think Ronald McDonald intentionally tried to hide the contents of his so-called food. Because of the new labeling laws they found that there were ingredients that no longer comply with the new laws. This is only going to make things worse for us.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#41 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

You should all welcome this family with open arms and lend support. NOT BASH THEM.

It would be hypocritical of me to support this family's action if I don't believe in it, and I don't. It would be closed minded of me to support them merely because they are celiac, without thinking about the ramifications of their actions. We should NOT support things we do not believe in.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#42 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

REMEMBER what it was like when all of us here didn't have a clue of what we were dealing with. Why food was making us sick. Or what to do to stay alive.

We remember all to clearly those days and that is why we don't support any lawsuits. This lawsuit is going to send us back to those days.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#43 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

My problem is that the lawsuits that are going on are poor lawsuits. They don't make anyone look good, least of all the Celiac community. If they were intelligent lawsuits, maybe...I do want us to get good publicity, a money hungry militant image is not beneficial.

That's how I feel. I think it is reasonable to sue a company (I'm not talking specifically about McDonald's here) if they had an allergen in their products and did not disclose it or said that it was allergen-free. What I don't think is reasonable is he reason they are suing which is claiming that the fries caused their child's health problems.

It will bring more public knowledge about gluten (several of my students asked me about it tonight) but I worry about the price. JMHO.

#44 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

--deleted--

#45 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

I don't believe anyone is being hateful on here. The point is we are seeing where this will take the disease and it will make it more difficult for all of us. I find it tacky that they think we are not good enough to talk to other than when they want support to sue someone. These people were aware of the disease with their daughter but continued to feed them to her. If I eat something that makes me ill, I have enough brains not to do it again. I am not into suffering and I don't have to punish myself time after time to prove to myself that it does make me sick.

I am not a masochist and when I do something stupid, I don't feel anyone but myself should pay for it but I don't continuously repeat the action either. Therefore I would not also subject another person to something that would make them sick.

We are not bashing these people, we are stating our reasons on why we do not support these law suits and why it looks terribly greedy. I am not in agreement with any of the lawsuits and especially the one that says the fries gave her Celiac. That is a buncho of crapola.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: