69 replies to this topic

#46 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Think twice about someone else, that what's wrong with this country. People don't consider others, and only themselves. So think hard again about what your posting.

If you read these posts with an open mind I'm sure you can see that we are ALL concerned about others. We are concerned for everyone who is Celiac, or anyone who needs to be on a gluten free diet, we are concerned for those who will someday need to be on this diet, we are concerned for this family's little girl who will grow up and want more choices. Who are these people initiating lawsuits thinking about? Certainly not us. They are not concerned about the consequences of their actions. They see $$$.
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

I'm sorry if you think I was being hateful, but there is absolutely no way these people can know this quickly (and probably not at all) that the McD fries caused anything -- and certainly not seizures or ulcers. I'm sorry if their daughter has been sick, but I stick by what I said before -- if you or your child is that ill, the last place you should be eating is a place like McD. It's just common sense.

richard

#48 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:18 PM

I'm sorry if you think I was being hateful, but there is absolutely no way these people can know this quickly (and probably not at all) that the McD fries caused anything -- and certainly not seizures or ulcers. I'm sorry if their daughter has been sick, but I stick by what I said before -- if you or your child is that ill, the last place you should be eating is a place like McD. It's just common sense.

richard

I so agree with you Richard. McD's is NOT food, not really or in my books. Since the onslaught of fast foods families rarely sit down to eat together. Fast foods are fast but not especially food. It is bad for your health, deep fried and causing heart attacks and gall bladder problems. Add a whole bundle of calories and tv and you have a very unhealthy life style.

You never realize how unhealthy until you have to change. I never did fast foods very much and not a lot of tv as there is nothing to watch. However, I know I had a lot more of an unhealthy diet than now. Eating greasy fried food is not good for anyone, never mind someone who is sick.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#49 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:15 PM

I figure it this way -- all the stupid McDonald's french fries I ate, not knowing they contained gluten, were working to destroy my brain, my eyes and my peripheral nerves. I'm not going to sue them. If anybody had a good case, it would be me, I believe. I can provide documented evidence of continued progression of the condition, despite being on what I THOUGHT was a strict gluten-free diet. I can show MRI images with continued cerebellar degredation. And still, I don't think that trying to gain cash from McD's is a good idea. I don't think that it would serve any good purpose to file a lawsuit against a company who is NOT mandated to disclose the ingredients of their food. All it will do is serve as a warning to OTHER restaurants (Not that McD's is a restaurant -- I'm using the term loosely) NOT to serve the gluten-free community. McDonald's screwed up. Yes, they certainly did, and big-time. They had a really LOSER PR firm. Yep. That, too. But, the long-term repercussions of lawsuits of this type are, I believe, very detrimental to the gluten-free community.

I am not bashing the people who are suing McDonalds. I am sure that they feel entitled to whatever damages they are seeking from McDonalds. I just feel that they are also possibly shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to long-term dining issues and feeling "food safe" in places in which they are eating. I also question whether those types of issues are of importance to them.

If these particular litigants are simply trying to gain a dollar or two from McDonalds by capitalizing on their mistake, or if they are using their child to gain the same, then I have little regard for their ideals or morals. Some things, although tempting, are simply wrong.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#50 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

If the parents are trying to use their child to get money out of McDonald's, I have some sad news for the parents! The courts will tie up any money the kids get in trust funds until the kids are 18, and the parents won't get any of it. If any of it is to be used for medical bills, the court trustee will decide how much, and pay it directly to the hospital or doctor. The saddest news of all is that their lawyers will get half of whatever the settlement is. Either way, the rest of us will lose.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#51 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

I agree completely. The thing is, if you look at our television programming in Louisville, slimeball attorneys are every other advertisement on daytime TV. Now, the latest ad is that, because Personal Injury Protection coverage is a mandatory minimum of $10,000. Now, the ads are all saying "Have you been in a car wreck that wasn't your fault? You can get $10,000."

I'm sure those types of attorneys will be advertising about the french fries as well.

If the parents of that child DO get money from McD's, I hope that there is a trustee to oversee the funds. That way, the money will be used in the appropriate manner -- to ensure the better health of the child. I think that is a really good point.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#52 pumpkin

pumpkin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

Nothing new to add, just my thoughts about it after seeing the story covered on Fox News in Orlando and reading everyone's posts. Having worked in the legal field for almost 20 years I can honestly say a lawsuit isn't the way to go. The only person responsible for what you put in your mouth is you. I realize we all get tripped up now and then but in all honesty if you keep getting sick after eating a certain item you should figure out it needs to be eliminated. Granted, I don't like the way McD handled the situation and I do feel a little bit betrayed but it's up to each of us to make the correct choice. I feel bad for this little girl and her family. I hope they start making responsible food choices for their daughter since she depends on them for this at her young age.This is only going to be dragged out for years and no one but the attorneys are going to see any big bucks. This reminds of the lawsuit where the lady sued McD b/c she spilled hot coffee on herself while driving.

#53 Idahogirl

Idahogirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

I am still confused. Aren't they going to do more testing to see if the oil contains gluten specifically? If the gluten was removed in the processing of the flavoring ingredient, then it couldn't be responsible for the kid's problems, and it is still gluten free. Sounds like they are jumping the gun, and the tests should be able to prove if the "agent" responsible for her problem was even present in the oil. I know we automatically jump when we hear the word wheat, but it's the gluten in the wheat that's the problem, so if the gluten's not there, what's the big deal? Someone, please enlighten me!!!

Lisa

#54 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Wheat contains gluten, and you can't separate those out. McDonalds is claiming that they were told by the distributor that because their french fries are "Par-fried" -- meaning that they are partially cooked prior to being frozen and sent out to the restaurants, that the gluten is eliminated. There is no real evidence to back up that claim -- gluten doesn't magically disappear when heated.

With regard to the fries "causing" the child's illnesses -- well, that's another story. As we all know, celiac disease is an autoimmune disease -- you have to be genetically predisposed to some extent to developing it, the physicians believe that you have to have some kind of environmental "trigger" (usually a virus). In other words, the cosmic forces must be all (mal) aligned in order for you to develop an autoimmune disease. It's "iffy" at best that french fries caused celiac disease even if they were made entirely from gluten!

As for truly diagnosed celiacs / gluten intolerants -- that's again, another story. If these fries are fried in oil which contains gluten, then there is, to some extent, gluten in them. I don't know how many parts per million, but I'm not taking any chances!

Hope this helps clear some things up . . . I'm not the "guru" of celiac -- there are a lot of members on this board who are MUCH more educated about it than I -- but maybe this helps. . . . . . take care, Lynne
Lynne

#55 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:58 AM

Lynne--I agree with you. I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but we were never told how the gluten present in the oil is removed. We were just told that it was eliminated. The experts have assured us that the finished product is free of gluten, but I still don't understand how. I haven't said too much on the subject because I know next to nothing about food processing. Maybe there is such a process that gets rid of the proteins--I think it would help a great deal if we could know what it is and how it works. For myself, I keep such tight control over my diet and am so careful with every detail that I have any control over. Why would I then just take someone's word when I still have lingering doubts? That's just my personal feeling--
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#56 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:01 AM

Patti -- I agree. My initial thought is -- if cooking removes gluten, then why do we all have to cook gluten-free????
Lynne

#57 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:19 AM

Gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, rye. It is an actual tangible object.

Through various processes (distillation, extraction, etc) gluten can be removed from a wheat substance. I drink Ketel One Vodka every once in awhile, but is made from wheat/grains -- through the distillation process, the gluten is removed.

Tarnalberry or Richard may be able to explain this further, but the gluten protein can be removed -- however, it cannot be removed by simply "cooking" it off.

I interpret McD's explanation as the oil has wheat/dairy "extracts" in the oil -- those "extracts" are added to the oil after the gluten has been removed (I could be wrong here, but that is how I read their explanation).

In any event, if the scientist from Nebraska said there was no gluten in the oil, I don't see how the family has a case. Furthermore, I am willing to bet a great number of people get sick at McD's from cross-contamination...

#58 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

In any event, if the scientist from Nebraska said there was no gluten in the oil, I don't see how the family has a case. Furthermore, I am willing to bet a great number of people get sick at McD's from cross-contamination...

Absolutely agree on both points. I was just saying that I didn't understand how the gluten was removed. I'm going to go back and read--again--what the Dr. from Nebraska said. Won't be the first time I missed something :ph34r:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#59 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE!!!!

You should all welcome this family with open arms and lend support. NOT BASH THEM.

Maybe those bashing here -- are angry about other things. Think twice about someone else, that what's wrong with this country. People don't consider others, and only themselves. So think hard again about what your posting. I'm sure you'll send me hate mail -- Whatever -- but it show the type of person you really are.

POA -- Power of Attorney

As an attorney, I refuse to support a frivolous case.

What is more important? That one family might get rich from McDonalds or that 1 million people might lose chances to eat out at "gluten-free-friendly" restaurants because other restaurant owners are scared of being sued?? Pretty simple choice to me...

Think of others?? Tell the family to think of the rest of the Celiacs in the USA!

Sometimes lawsuits make it harder for everyone, not easier -- this is one of those times.

#60 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

Broncobux: Pretty funny, because I PM'd Richard and asked him to "help us out here"!!! :lol: Interesting that distilling removes it, but it makes sense -- in distillation, all you get is the "steam" portion of what you're "cooking". Also -- did you have a happy birthday???? . . . Lynne

Didn't know you are an attorney, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. What a crock . . .. .
Lynne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: