51 replies to this topic

#46 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:19 AM

Susie--you and I share a lot of the same intolerances! I will be interested in hearing what you come up with as a sub for rice flour. I am sensitive to rice, corn, soy, tapioca, legumes, tomatoes, almonds, oranges, cocanut, and even tea now! These I found through trial and error on my own. I will be seeing an allergist next week who does test for food intolerances as well as allergies. I made the appt. for a consultation only--I want to see if he and I are on the same page, so to speak, before doing any testing. I have also been in touch with Immuno Labs in Fla.--if the allergist does not work out, I may have my blood tested there.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

I've bought some different flours - potato, buckwheat (it's not actually wheat at all), maize meal and gram flour. Haven't quite figured what to do with them all yet though! Gram pancakes are OK and I've made some yummy gram/ buckwheat brownies. I need to figure out how to make bread though.

I think coconut is probably a problem for me too and maybe soy, so yes we are pretty similar.

Good luck with the allergist!
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#48 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

Okay, of course, I'm in so much pain today, and that only makes me worry more when I read certain things. As far as these infections go, don't we all have them because we keep noticing different intolerances? I mean, they are like never ending! So, my question is, if we don't find a doctor who can give us medicine for these infections, then how the hell are we ever going to get better! (I'm not yelling at you guys, I'm just so upset! I can't take this anymore!)

Rachel, I called 2 doctors that were closest to me at Biohealth. They are both very very very far away from NYC (one in New York the state, and one in New Jersey), and I don't have a car. I called one of them and I'm waiting for them to get back to me and the other one just told me straight out that I'm too far to come from NYC! :o :angry: Okay!

So, now I'm freaking out that if I don't get one of these doctors, I'll always be sick. And right now, all I ate today was cashews and an apple and my stomach looks like I'm 6 months pregnant and my back is killing me!

I'm going to stop eating for 24 hours straight and then maybe give myself some applesauce. This has been going on for 2 weeks straight now. I'm so hopeless.
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

#49 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Anyway, so far, he isn't really talking about other food intolerances. For example, let's say your doctor gets rid of the infections that you have and you are obviously gluten free, but you have other food intolerances you don't know about. Do those just go away? Or do you have to pinpoint them before you start the whole process? Do they make us sicker?

Dani,

The way my doc explains it is that yes, the food intolerances are added "stressors" on the body because obviously the immune system has to deal with them on top of everything else that may be going on. He normally puts people on an elimination diet to identify the intolerances and then I assume you would avoid those foods until your health is better. He doesnt have me on the diet because I've pretty much already eliminated all the foods that bother me and I'm not eating any of the "allergenic" foods. He knew immediately because of all my symptoms and strict diet that I have other issues going that are basically putting a heavy burden on my system. Thats been his main focus so far...so not too worried about the food intolerances right now. He said the intolerances go away when the body heals itself but without removing the main causes of stress it cant properly heal...so its just a never-ending cycle. If you keep eating all the foods you shouldnt eat then yes...you will be making yourself sicker.

Anyway, so far, he isn't really talking about other food intolerances.

I dont think he talks about food intolerances on the program about gluten. I believe he discusses it more on the Candida program...with regards to the candida diet. Its not really about intolerances though...its more about WHY this stuff happens.

You really should think doing something in the health field to help other people. I mean, how much have you learned and are still learning through all of this? I've been gluten free 3 months, you've been gluten free, what 3 years?

Nope....I've been sick 3 years but only diagnosed with gluten intolerance since August. So before August I knew zip about gluten. So its been like 6 months now. Before that I was on the Candida diet for 4 months so *unintentionally* I had a head start on my gluten-free diet. :)
The first 2 years I was just a mess....I couldnt even read a sentence w/out having to re-read it about 50 times and I still couldnt retain any info. Most days I couldnt get out of bed and I had depression big-time. No way I could have been participating on this board like I do now. I was on disability...mostly I just slept all day and watched alot of reality shows on MTV. I was really sick and scared.
Rachel

#50 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

As far as these infections go, don't we all have them because we keep noticing different intolerances? I mean, they are like never ending!

My doctor says *most* of the time we do have infections but some people can get on the diet and heal and have no further problems as long as they stay gluten-free. I think the doctor in the program (he's the founder of Biohealth) says that he has never NOT found an infection in someone with gluten intolerance. Of course the people who go there have on-going problems or they wouldnt be needing help. The other people on this board who go to Biohealth also were found to have infections...although so far I dont know of anyone else that has c-diff. I'm just really unlucky I guess. C-Diff is the worst of all the "bad" bacteria we have in our intestines. :(
Oh...theres another girl on here that sees my same doctor and I guess shes finished w/ the elimination diet and is feeling better. I havent got to that "feeling better" point yet....my doc says I'm "special" but in all actuality he means I'm really screwed up...one of the more complicated cases. :(

I called one of them and I'm waiting for them to get back to me and the other one just told me straight out that I'm too far to come from NYC! Okay!

The reason they say this is because its not like seeing a normal doctor where you just go in for one appt. and thats it. They work with you and they get to know you...I go once a week but after this week I'll start going only twice a month. It probably depends on what they need to do as far as testing and stuff like that but since my case is more on the complicated side I've had alot of appointments. I actually look forward to going.

Dont stress yourself out by thinking you'll never get better. Stress is definately not good for the healing process. Gotta think positive! You WILL get better but it takes time. It took me 2 1/2 years to find out about gluten and then another 6 months to find a decent doctor...and I still have a ways to go until I can say I'm "normal" again. I think of it as sort of a "journey" and I learn what I can along the way. I can honestly say before this happened my biggest concern in life was probably if I would have a bad hair day. :blink:
Seriously, this has changed me....for the better....I think. :)
Rachel

#51 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

Rachel,

I'm soooooooooooooooo sorry that you've been going through all of this! I mean, we are all sick on here, but from what I've read, you have had the worst case senario that I can think of, or that I know of. And you're positive about everything! I need to be more like you!

So, from what I understand, you're doctor told you that yes, we all have infections, but for most of us, through staying gluten-free, time, patience and the good old elimination diet, we can heal ourselves, but for people like you, the situation is just too chaotic to handle on your own.

I know that it's really my fault for the way that I feel. I looked over my food journal and realized I've been adding WAY too many foods all at once. And of course, as soon as I started having a better day these past two weeks, I ADDED NUTS! Even though I thought they bothered me, I read somewhere that most roasted nuts are made with MSG. So I was like, RAW nuts! Yeay! And I went to town only to hate myself for it all over again. I went to the begining of my journal and yes, been there done that. I should have known. When I start feeling better for some reason I deney the fact that I can't have all of these other foods either, and eat them and then have to kick myself. Well, not anymore. It's such a vicious cycle....probably like being an alcoholic or drug addict. But I can't do it anymore, I want my life back.

So today starting at lunch time I decided, once and fod all, this is it. I need to start the elimination diet, stick to it and start living again. It's not life when you keep making yourself sick every 5 minutes! So I'm going to have pears, mangos and avocado for the weekend or until I start feeling better. I'm picking these foods because I know that the foods that you eat the least have the lowest chance of being an intolerant food for you. And I love these foods and I know they are all easy on the digestive tract. So I had pears today and it helped my stomach ease up and the back pains are subsiding. And I'm going to the diatician on Tuesday, so hopefully she will be a good coach for me and help me with what easy foods to try next.

Anyway, I'm very happy that you know you are in good hands. And thank you for all of the info. and encouragement and motivation. Look! You're helping people already and you're not even in the medical field (yet)!!! hahaa..........
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

#52 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'm soooooooooooooooo sorry that you've been going through all of this! I mean, we are all sick on here, but from what I've read, you have had the worst case senario that I can think of, or that I know of. And you're positive about everything! I need to be more like you!

:lol: :lol: Believe me...I have my "moments". Just ask the people who know me! I usually just go to bed on those days and try to start fresh the next day. Its not always easy. I think all the research I do takes my mind off things and sometimes I'll be like "oh yeah...I'm still sick." When I'm at the doctors I sometimes forget I'm the patient and I'm just eager to learn so I feel more like a student. :lol: I probably annoy the hell out of him.

I'm glad you're thinking positive. Once you really commit yourself to getting your health back I've discovered theres really no limit to what you can do to help yourself get better. I used to smoke, work too hard, skip meals, stay up late, eat all fast food. I never learned how to cook and didnt eat anything that didnt come in a box or package. I dont do any of those things now and I cook all of my meals. Maybe I just went into "survival" mode. I dunno but all I can say is if *I* can do these things...anyone can do it.

Also..I have goals for myself so if I get frusterated I think about what I could lose if I just give up....that keeps me motivated. :) I dont think I'm worst case scenario cuz I see people on here that suffer from diseases they should never have gotten if they'd been properly diagnosed. So far I havent developed any diseases or serious conditions and I'm still young so I should be able to heal and get on with my life. If I had continued to be neglected by the doctors in my HMO there is no doubt in my mind I'd end up with more serious problems.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: