5 replies to this topic

#1 fatmom

fatmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:19 PM

Do you store the flour in the Freezer? and does anyone know of a good bread machine that works well with the gluten fee bread mixes?
Thanks for any and all help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

I store my yeast and my buttermilk powder in the freezer, but not any of my flours. I think if you use it regularly enough, then storing at room temperature is okay, but if you only use a little at a time and end up keeping a bag for a long time (like over a year or more), it might stay fresher if you freeze it.

Regarding bread machines, I threw mine out because it was too complicated to use with gluten-free bread and the loaf always turned out dense. It also took twice as long using the machine than just doing it by hand, plus I had better results.

However, I have heard good things about Zojiurshi, and here is a link http://www.gluten fr...s/zojirushi.pdf that has instructions on how to set the machine for gluten-free breads.

Hope this helps you a little.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 Kim

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:39 PM

I recommend storing yeast in the refrigerator so it lasts longer. I store my flours in the freezer/refrigerator so it will last longer. The only flours that I know of that MUST be kept in the freezer are brown rice flour and bean flours which will go rancid.

I have the Zojirushi and love it. Also, you can purchase the bread machine from the Gluten Free Pantry.

#4 fatmom

fatmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:36 AM

thanks for the help! I hope to get thisgf way of baking under control. I have 3 other kids so I'm doing double duty in the kitchen. So far my son has not liked any of the breads but it's all so new to him still. I think i'll try the zojirushi, i've heard it does well with the heavy gluten breads.
Do you know if I adjust the sugar or honey in the muffins/breads recipes, will they still come out? My son thinks everything is so bland. If I could get a little bit sweeter taste into it maybe he would be willing to go with it.
thanks
Renee

#5 Kim

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:11 AM

If you are also cooking for other kids, it sounds like you are pretty busy. I would recommend that you try the Kinnikinnick white sandwich bread. It's ready made and the only ready made bread I would recommend but it is good and could save you some time. If it's not carried in a local health food store, you can order at www.kinnikinnick.com.

If you try adjusting ingredients, as you suggested, I would add a little sugar because if you add honey, that will affect the rising/volume of the bread.

good luck. Kim.

#6 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:47 AM

I recently found Kinnikinnick breads, bagels, etc. in a freezer case in Whole Foods. They are beginning to stock more gluten free foods there. I just wish they would carry the pancake mix from Kinnikinnick. This is in San Diego. You might try calling a nearby Whole Foods and ask. Shirley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: