This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Followup Endoscopy

sillyyak

sillyyak Enthusiast

Has anyone had a follow-up endo? I am reading a lot of postings that suggest not many people have had one. What have you done, or not? And, why?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

I am not having a followup endo. A- I can't afford it, and B- my GI did not recommend it, since I knew what I had to do and was doing it. He said all he could do with a followup is tell me how much I have healed, and I can learn that just by how I feel.

hez Enthusiast

My gi doc would like to do a follow up endo. I am on the fence about it. The doc would like to do it to see how much I have healed and what the villi look like (standing tall or blunt looking). I know I must have healed some since I feel so much better. However, it would be interesting to see the difference between the two scopes.

Still not sure what I will do.

Hez

Random Guy Apprentice

my GI recommended 3 follow up endoscopys within the year. I haven't given too much though to not following that recomendation.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Has anyone had a follow-up endo? I am reading a lot of postings that suggest not many people have had one. What have you done, or not? And, why?

My son and I did not because our symptom relief was so obvious - although I tried. The gluten challange made me so sick I couldn't get to the procedure. My DD did have it done. It was not a difficult procedure for her and there was not much of a prep. Her biopsys showed begining changes in the villi. Her main symptoms were GERD, nausea and vomiting and psychological she had not gotten to the constant D stage yet. Most US doctors really want to do these. Some of us choose to and some don't. I wish I could be of more help.

jenvan Collaborator

I am actually having one tommorrow! My one-year. I am having it b/c to me it is important to know what the state of my SI is. I have had some symptom improvement, but after one year, don't feel fantabulous.... so it is another tool for me to evaulate my progress and to learn more so I can help others. I am going to post my results when I get them.

skoki-mom Explorer

I am having one in June. It is the only way I know if this diet is doing anything. I have no symptoms, never did, the once or twice I know for a fact I made a mistake and ate gluten, I had no reaction at all. I just need to know what is going on in there. I will be 10 months gluten-free when I get my next scope.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I am actually having one tommorrow! My one-year. I am having it b/c to me it is important to know what the state of my SI is. I have had some symptom improvement, but after one year, don't feel fantabulous.... so it is another tool for me to evaulate my progress and to learn more so I can help others. I am going to post my results when I get them.

Jen--Best of luck with everything tomorrow! :)

Susan123 Rookie

I had one 1 year later but I never showed damage to begin with just antibodies IgA. So nothing changed for me. IT was after a 1 year gluten challenge.

julie5914 Contributor

I'm 8 months out. I will probably get my blood retested at 1 year out (had it tested at 6 months and it was still high). If it is still high then, I will consider endoscopy, though it will be my first. I still have symptoms, but I've improved.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My younger son is the celiac in our family. He has a follow up with pediatric GI doctor March 7th, and I am going to ask for a blood test. Ty doesn't have any symptoms (that I am aware of - I can't feel what he feels) so for me the results of the blood test will at least indicate if we've been doing a good job keeping him gluten-free. Depending on the results we will maintain status quo around here, or make some big changes. His first results were given to us in a ratio. Less than 1 : 2.5 was negative (Mom, Dad, big brother) and Ty's blood results at diagnosis in August 2005 were 1 : 650 :o:blink: ! Yikes.

At the first follow up the doctor did indicate that he would do a follow up endoscopy if we really wanted him to, but I felt like he figured the blood test would be a good indicator and certainly less invasive.

Guest nini

I didn't have a follow up endoscopy because I didn't have a initial endoscope to begin with! I was dx'ed by blood test results and positive dietary response. My dr. did not recommend a biopsy, and didn't recommend a follow up biopsy. I agree. I think they are invasive. In the case where someone doesn't have any symptoms, it might make sense to get a follow up biopsy, but I would think that blood tests would be sufficient to monitor compliance with the diet.

Moongirl Community Regular

My doc def said to do a blood test follow up, but he only suggested the one year follow up endo if there isnt much change in my weight or blood test. So I guess every person has to use their personal judgement. Honestly, I wouldnt just do what your doctor recommends all the time, you are your own doctor B)

jenvan Collaborator

Meant to post this article I thought was good on the merits of follow-up biopsies: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1280

jerseyangel Proficient
Meant to post this article I thought was good on the merits of follow-up biopsies: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=1280

Jen--Didn't you have yours yesterday? Good to see you back up and running--I trust all went well?

Archived