This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

One More Stupid Thing I've Done!

Lollie

Lollie Enthusiast

So here I am at my local central market. I feel good. I'm buying food for the week. I want specific fruit and veggies. I have a specific list of all natural meat I want. I even know what cheeses to get. Only problem is they don't seem to have any of what I've driven 30 min for. I get madder and madder. I see this specialty soda that I love but know I can't have since it has gluten......gluten in a soda! :blink: Madder. Then I decide, I will get the soda. I will drink it and see if it makes me sick. I will enjoy it. Besides it's just a soda.....it's not a doughnut or some good bread. How bad could it be. :angry:

Well, let's say that it can be really bad. I have never had so much pain in my life. :( (And I've had quite a bit) I know that everyone has said you get more sensitive to gluten once you've been off for a while, but GEEZ!

I think the worst part is that I did it to myself intentionally. I didn't accidentally get glutened, no, I drank it and knew it had gluten and gave myself pain.

I guess I wanted to go to confession or something. I was always the kid who never got away with anything, because I would tell on myself! ;)

Just thought I would share my angst with all of you!

Lollie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

You are forgiven of your gluttenous sins! Now forgive me of mine--I scraped some frosting from my sons's birthday cake and had major pain and D today. That's why I've been going back and forth to the message board reading/responding to all that apply. Can't do much of anything else except visit the throne room! I guess we all learn the hard way. ( I also always told on myself as a kid--so did one of my sons!) The frosting was good, but I bet the soda was better!

Lollie Enthusiast

If I had known how bad it would feel I would have opted for the Krispy Kreme!!!! I mean if your gonna have pain either way, might as well have gotten something GREAT!!!! But the soda was good, I really love that soda, it's like a vanilla cream, sweetened with honey......but it has malto-dextrin, and some thing else, that's on the forbidden list,, but I can't remember now!

Was the frosting good? I almost took a bite of my daughters cupcake-it just smelled sooooo good! I gotta make a gluten-free cake!

Lollie

P.S. Thanks for forgiving me of my GLUTENOUS Sins-I love it!!!!

Jean-Luc Rookie

Ok, I just got diagnosed with celiac (10 days ago) and I have tried to avoided bread, BEER, pasta and anything else that would even remotely seem to have wheat, rye or barley. Now, I am really confused .... why is soda off the list?

Lollie Enthusiast

Not all soda is off, just the ones that contain ingredients derived from wheat. Like maltodextrin- the soda I wanted had this and it was imported from somewhere other than the US, it also has malt which is on the forbidden list. That's probably why it tastes so good! Dr. pepper and Coke are still okay. You just have to read labels and see what's in them.

Lollie

Guest Robbin

yeah, the frosting was good, and I have to confess, I saw the cake crumbs attached to it and like a fool went ahead and stuck the glob in my mouth. I would have had the same mess I'm dealing with today if I'd have just ate a slice, more than likely. That soda DOES sound yummy. I had a list that said maltodextrin manufactured in US was ok. Is that true? If not, no wonder I haven't felt too good today. I think the iced tea mix I have has maltodextrin. I'm still new at this stuff. Krispy Kreme sounds good too....I better eat a rice cake with pb & j to compensate THAT craving!!!! OOOPS, I see you said "manufactured other than US" What about the malto part is that safe in US? --Sorry for ignorance!

Jean-Luc Rookie

Laura,

thank you for the clarification. Is there a portion of this site that lists foods that are on or off the LIST? This is the craziest thing I have ever had to experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgilsing Enthusiast
If I had known how bad it would feel I would have opted for the Krispy Kreme!!!! I mean if your gonna have pain either way, might as well have gotten something GREAT!!!!

UGH I know what you mean! I hate that when I realize I was glutened by something that was only so-so to begin with! I was at my friends wedding in Georgia last June, and had made it through the reception....hadn't really eaten anything not even the cake :( We went back to our hotel room and I was devouring a bag of nacho cheese doritos. I was about 1/2 way through the bag when my hubby, who was still sober enough to remember to read the ingredients (probably because he got to eat something at the reception) goes "Ummmm....there's wheat in these" I thought he was joking and laughed....he wasn't joking and we had to drive 13 hours back to Illinois the next day!! I thought then, that if I was going to be in that kind of pain and suffering I might as well have drank a beer and chowed down on cake!!

elye Community Regular
Not all soda is off, just the ones that contain ingredients derived from wheat. Like maltodextrin- the soda I wanted had this and it was imported from somewhere other than the US, it also has malt which is on the forbidden list. That's probably why it tastes so good! Dr. pepper and Coke are still okay. You just have to read labels and see what's in them.

Lollie

Okay, now I'm confused...My "Canadian Celiac Association Pocket Dictionary" lists maltodextrin as "allowed", with the following info: "Product of hydrolysis of various starches such as corn, potato and rice. In North America, maltodextrins are almost always derived from corn and therefore are gluten-free. However, rarely maltodextin may be derived from wheat. Using the most sensitive, scientifically validated R5 Elisa tests, no gluten was detected in wheat-based maltodextrin". Since this is a serious, cutting-edge organization, I've assumed their info is always correct and have therefore been eating maltodextrin without concern. I've had no reaction, either. What do we believe?

Lollie Enthusiast

hey Picard,

There is a list of forbidden foods and a list of okay foods on this site. I didn't think to make a link, but it is really helpful to get those.

Elye,

I don't know what to believe any more. I have the list that was on the site, it listed maltodextrin on forbidden, but sais if manufactured in North America, it was gluten-free. But I think the soda I drank today was from somewhere else. But at any rate it did have malt in it to. I tend to be over careful, so I stay away from the maltodextrin anyway.

I bet there is someone who has some idea out there, who will let us know!!!!!

Robbin,

I would have said turn around, I want some of that cake!!!!!!! Sorry that happened though! i bet that drive took a little longer then normal!

Lollie

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

We can help if we know the name of the soda...

I had thought that 99% of maltodextrin was safe (made from corn)

tarnalberry Community Regular

So you made a poor decision. It kinda sucks, because you're feeling awful right now, and you know 'it's only your own fault', but you're in a lot of good company (we've all made some mistake - be it not carefully reading a label, choosing to eat something anyway, or some other non-celiac related poor decision), and it's something you'll remember the next time you're tempted. So don't beat yourself up for too long - our lives our built on what we do - good, bad and inbetween, and good comes out of all of it.

marciab Enthusiast

I think we should declare a gluten free holiday !!!! A day where all us gluten free people can eat all the gluten we desire and all be sick at the same time ... Then we would get the attention we need for this illness.

I'm Ok now, I just had to get that off my chest. Sorry you don't feel well. Marcia

psawyer Proficient

In both Canada and the US, maltodextrin must be made from corn unless otherwise disclosed. If you see maltodextrin on a Canadian or American product, without a notation that it is made from wheat, it is made from corn and is gluten-free. If the product is imported, this rule does not apply and it is possible, although not likely, that the source is wheat.

On a related note, "starch" is almost always corn starch, but you do have to ask if it does not disclose the source. Hydrolized Plant Protein (HPP) and Hydrolized Vegetable Protein (HVP) are usually soy, but again, you have to ask if it does not disclose the source.

gf4life Enthusiast

Safe and Forbidden lists - click here!

Maltodextrin is fine, but malt and dextrin can both contain gluten. With both ingredients you have to verify the source and all that. I find it easier to avoid them both. I only consume products with dextrin if it lists the source (like tapicoa dextrin).

So as far as the soda goes, it had to have been the malt in it, and not the maltodextrin.

kevsmom Contributor
Safe and Forbidden lists - click here!

Maltodextrin is fine, but malt and dextrin can both contain gluten. With both ingredients you have to verify the source and all that. I find it easier to avoid them both. I only consume products with dextrin if it lists the source (like tapicoa dextrin).

So as far as the soda goes, it had to have been the malt in it, and not the maltodextrin.

GF4life - Boy you are quick. While I was searching for the site, you found it and posted it. You win :lol: .

Cindy

gf4life Enthusiast

Yeah! I won! :D Hardly ever happens for me!

Jean-Luc Rookie

Thanks for the list. This really sucks! I am sorry to sound like an a#$, but after 37 years of living one way this is a pain. I have had no symtoms that were as readily seen. The only way I found out was being checked for an ulcer after having ONE afternoon of stomach cramps and associated bowel movements. In fact, my primary care and GI doctor thought it was food poisoning based upon the one day symtoms. My primary care physican suggested a endoscopy to rule out an ulcer due to my line of work.

So after the scope, I was told I was clear of any ulcers or anything else readily apparent. A week later I get a call about a follow-up appointment concerning the biopsy results and was told I have celiac. What a bloody shocker!

elye Community Regular
In both Canada and the US, maltodextrin must be made from corn unless otherwise disclosed. If you see maltodextrin on a Canadian or American product, without a notation that it is made from wheat, it is made from corn and is gluten-free. If the product is imported, this rule does not apply and it is possible, although not likely, that the source is wheat.

On a related note, "starch" is almost always corn starch, but you do have to ask if it does not disclose the source. Hydrolized Plant Protein (HPP) and Hydrolized Vegetable Protein (HVP) are usually soy, but again, you have to ask if it does not disclose the source.

Well, this is great news, at least for me. As a celiac who is also type one diabetic, my food restrictions are many, and the one artificial sweetener I can use on my cereal that satisfies both diets is Sugar Twin, which is maltodextrin. So I will happily continue to use it....Yippee! Something processed and nutritionally empty and delicious that I can keep in my diet!

Lollie Enthusiast

Wow! I had no idea that all this was quite this difficult! I just appreciate all the input. For the record I believe the soda I drank had malt. I think it is made in Jamaca. It's called Vita-Malt. I like it so much cause it tastes like bread and you get all your vitamins at the same time. But, like I said, I knew I shouldn't drink it when I did it! ;) I just was mad, made a bad decision.......humans, ugh! Anyway, thanks for all the input on the maltodextrin, I have been staying away from it because I didn't want to take any chances, but now I might rethink!

Lollie

Archived