#1 hungryforlife

hungryforlife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

Hi.

I have been lurking for a while why I waited for blood test results. They came today, finally, after two weeks. Long story. Dr's a Jerk!

He would only test my IGG/IGA... then told me that following a gluten free diet was impossible, and to follow up with the gastroenterologist.

My results were:

IgG - 3 where less then 10 is normal
IgA - 4 where normal range is -11 to 17. The nurse who gave me the results said this is just hanging out there at a 4, but didnt mean anything without the AGG.

I was just wondering if that is in the normal range (is there a normal range?) and/or should I continue to seek the full panel, then endo....etc???

Thank you for your support on this group....I've learned lots already! :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hungryforlife

hungryforlife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

Anybody? Pretty Please? :(

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hi--I'm sorry that I can't help you with the blood test results--I never had those--only the biopsy. I do want to say that the gluten-free diet is far from impossible. If you've been reading here for a while, I'm sure you have seen the wonderful things it can do for people with gluten intolerance--literally save our lives. There are lots of naturally gluten-free foods, as well as a ton of products and mixes. You can search here for product ideas and recipes. I'm sure someone who knows about the tests will weigh in soon.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:41 AM

I would reccommend the full panel

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Total Serum IgA

but you have to be eating gluten for them to have any chance of being accurate... The two tests at minimum you should have are the EMA and the tTG... if you cannot get a Dr. to support you on getting these tests done, I would suggest trying the diet. It really is NOT impossible and there are so many of us that can help you find good food to eat while you are figuring out the diet for yourself.

A positive dietary response is just as valid a diagnostic tool as the blood tests and biopsy. And if you suspect you have a gluten intolerance, the diet is a much cheaper route to go. And you don't need a Dr.s permission to go on the diet.

#5 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

I agree with Nisla. I would either 1)insist that the doctor take a more proactive approach in your diagnosis or 2)find a different doctor. There are a multitude of physicians out there now -- it's a buyer's market!!

She's also right in that, you don't need the doctor's permission to lead a gluten-free lifestyle. Just because he/she is a jerk, don't base your healthcare needs on an answer that may be, in fact, wrong.

Just chiming in there . . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#6 hungryforlife

hungryforlife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:56 AM

Thank you for replying. I agree that I do not need a doctor's diagnosis to go gluten free. That night after I posted here I spoke with my husband and we decided that we were going to convert our home to gluten free. ( I asked who I was getting a diagnosis for, me or others, and couldnt honestly answer me...., sorta like I needed confirmation to make others believe that my symptoms have been real.) Anyway, Im sure a few of you know that feeling?

I've always had many - many of the symptoms described for GI, but was told it was stress, ibs, anxiety...etc... I know they say that oats are gluten-free, but I did oatmeal virtually everyday for the past two and a half years and in pictures you can see a dramatic change in my appearance. Drawn, pale face with dark circles. This is when I decided to "find out" what was really wrong. Then I found out that my older brother was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue several years ago. Sad really. I stopped oats 2 weeks ago and any visible gluten a week ago, and already I can tell a difference. I do not have that pressure in my head, the fogginess, or the extreme tiredness - or any stomach aliments! nausea! dizziness! (which was happening daily.) Also I have not taken any antacids or acid reducers, have not needed them.

I was just wondering about those numbers? Not that it matters? I have an appointment for followup with a gastro, and honestly do not want to start eating grains again. I, like many of you, have my answer just in a week without grain. Thank you again for taking the time to answer.

May I ask another question? When you are substituting gluten-free flour for wheat flour, does it matter if you are substituting for whole wheat flour or white flour? I have an awesome carrot cake muffin recipe, that I thought was part of my healthy whole wheat diet, that I would like to make gluten-free and freeze for breakfasts? Breakfast ideas are the hardest for me - I miss my oatmeal!

Sorry for rambling.

#7 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

if you miss your oatmeal that much, you may like Barkat's porridge. I love it. I can flavor it with any flavor I want... add fruit preserves to it, sugar and cinnamon, peaches and cream... on and on, it's really yummy and so much better than oatmeal.

#8 hungryforlife

hungryforlife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:44 AM

Thanks Nini...

I liked my oatmeal just with a "bit" of sugar sprinkled on top. I will have to try the porridge. Is it something you can buy at a grocery, or does it need to be ordered? My Natural store didn't have it yesterday. Anyway, I've been eating Gorrilla Munch instead, it is good, but sweet. My son, who is four, loves it! and the Peanut Butter one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: