This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh- This Stinks

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

First my son get sick, prbly a cold, then Pink Eye, then my wife gets his cold, and you guess it, now has his pink eye! :(

So now Superdad sposed to sweep in and save the day right with trumpts blaring, but NO CAPE (Mr Incredible refernce sorry)! RIGHT!?! UGH So why do I feel like I am glunted!?!? Cant be superdad like this! :( Worse part about it, I ate nothing wrong today! Or in recent memory!. :( Must have been CC somehow. Im starting to wonder about the tupper ware I use for my gluten-free cearel in the AM ( I sometimes have to eat on the road so I put the ceral in a closeable tupper wear container.) I have used it for just about every kind of gluten in the pasta, pasta, bread, cearel, etc. And it has lots of groves from knife cuts in it. ITs been washed dozens od times since though. Is this a possiblity??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Vincent,

I don't know how much contamination you can get from the tupperware, but for my family I didn't want to chance it. I got rid of all of the old stuff (which we had spent a small fortune on) and invested a relatively small amount of money into Gladware. I got a big pack at Costco with all different sizes, plus some really large ones for storing big meals and such. It is disposable, but also extremely reusable. We have reused ours now for 2 years and we always wash them in the top rack of the dishwasher. My husband has a set that he uses daily and has used for over 3 years, even though his sometimes go on the bottom rack of the dishwasher! He has only had to throw out one lid, because it cracked. I feel we have totally gotten our moneys worth. You might want to check into this. You can get a set of 3-5 containers for around $4.

I hope you (and your family) feel better real soon. Are you sure you just aren't geting sick from the same bug the rest of the family has?

And I understand the NO CAPE! Makes you wonder about Batman, Superman and all those other caped superheros. How did they last so long! :huh:

penguin Community Regular

Well, I asked my geeky chemical engineering DH who specializes in polymers and plastics,

(his grad research is something about some kind of polymers and drug delivery and it makes my eyes cross :blink: )

Anyway, I asked him about the whole teflon and gluten thing, and I was like, that's not porus enough to hold a gluten protein, right? He said, "oh yeah, gluten proteins can fit in there, but they eventually come out with washing"

I was ready to go out and buy a whole new set of pans (though I love the ones I have, a wedding gift, and only 6 mos old), but he said it would wash out over time and not to worry. Engineers are also notoriously cheap :rolleyes:

unless it's star wars paraphinalia, then they're all over it...

But I digress...

Plastics are about the same, especially if there are knife slices in it and whatnot. Wash it enough, the glutens come out. I have no idea how many times that is, though :P

jerseyangel Proficient

I tossed out the old plastics that had scratches and also bought some Gladware in various sizes. We wash them over and over in the dishwasher, and they're still fine. Also, we have a grocery store - Shoprite--that has their own brand of reusable plasticware that is even a better deal. Maybe your local chain has something similar?

mommida Enthusiast

Well, Popeye had spinach. <_< Super dad has ... Altoids! :D Or the thought of future Altoids. ;)

Laura

VydorScope Proficient
Plastics are about the same, especially if there are knife slices in it and whatnot. Wash it enough, the glutens come out. I have no idea how many times that is, though :P

Only an engineer would be satified with "enough" as a form of measure :lol:

Can he put a range on it? Like not less then 20 trips through a diswasher? UGh: all my joints hurt, nasues, light headed, ugh had to focus ehough to figure this out. :(

Guest BERNESES

Vincent- I'm sorry you and everyone else feels so crappy. I know that for me, at one point I was getting glutened mysteriously and light dawned on Pearl Harbor. I realized it was my cookware. It had scratches in it and that was the only thing I could pinpoint. So i got new stuff and haven't had THAT problem again since. Washing gets it out and supposedly a dishwasher sterilizes- but I think gluten knows no boundaries and likes to lurk. I'd just chuck the stuff and buy new ones that are just for gluten-free stuff. Hope everyone feels better soon. Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent- I'm sorry you and everyone else feels so crappy. I know that for me, at one point I was getting glutened mysteriously and light dawned on Pearl Harbor. I realized it was my cookware. It had scratches in it and that was the only thing I could pinpoint. So i got new stuff and haven't had THAT problem again since. Washing gets it out and supposedly a dishwasher sterilizes- but I think gluten knows no boundaries and likes to lurk. I'd just chuck the stuff and buy new ones that are just for gluten-free stuff. Hope everyone feels better soon. Beverly

Already reaplced all my bakeware, and all my cookware. Ugh, I need sell more books if this keeps up! :blink::(

VydorScope Proficient

picked up some of the kroger brand of those containers till can afford somthing better....

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
picked up some of the kroger brand of those containers till can afford somthing better....

Vincent-hope your all feeling better soon :( sorry for you. Going to make some p/b bananna muffins. wish i could bring some to you all.

Hugs, judy

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent-hope your all feeling better soon :( sorry for you. Going to make some p/b bananna muffins. wish i could bring some to you all.

Hugs, judy

:ph34r: Sure! Id be happy to try your versoin of them! See ya in an hour? :lol:

Mango04 Enthusiast
:ph34r: Sure! Id be happy to try your versoin of them! See ya in an hour? :lol:

Too bad we all can't compare our versions of the pb bananna muffins. Those are the best :D

Lollie Enthusiast

Hey Vincent,

Sorry all of ya'll are feeling bad! :( Both of my little girls did the cold then pink eye thing last week, and now my littlest is still getting over the goopy eye! :rolleyes: Luckily, of all the germs floating around out there, pink eye is at least treatable and doesn't involve the fever! Hope your feeling better soon, too!

Judy, you have to send me your recipe, those muffins sound like heaven right now.....do you think Texas is too far to get a warm one? :D

-Lollie

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

ChelsE: My husband is a Naval Architect (read: engineer). You nailed the engineering personality! "Enough" and "Cheap" -- I was reading this out loud to my husband, and he was howling laughing!!! :lol: We just had this discussion!

Vincent -- sorry you're having such a horrible time. Did like, however, the reference to Mr. Incredible -- in the words of Edna Mode "It's my way or the runway"

Hope everything is in altoids shape soon! :P Lynne

Archived