#1 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hi All,

I have a question that Revenue Canada couldn't really answer for me. It was regarding claiming something that I would buy anyway (cornstarch) but the quantity of what I am purchasing has changed.
Example: in the past, I might buy 2 boxes of cornstarch a year, but since August, I've bought about 10. When you look at the price per box $1.77/500g it doesn't seem like much. But that's $3.55/kg and I think that wheat flour is closer to $1/kg. I was sort of hoping I could claim the extra $2.55/kg but I guess not.

Any tips on how to go about the claims? This is our first time claiming gluten-free food on our return. I had a friend make up an excel spreadsheet to figure out incremental costs, but if any of you long-timers have tips for a newbie, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hi All,

I have a question that Revenue Canada couldn't really answer for me. It was regarding claiming something that I would buy anyway (cornstarch) but the quantity of what I am purchasing has changed.
Example: in the past, I might buy 2 boxes of cornstarch a year, but since August, I've bought about 10. When you look at the price per box $1.77/500g it doesn't seem like much. But that's $3.55/kg and I think that wheat flour is closer to $1/kg. I was sort of hoping I could claim the extra $2.55/kg but I guess not.

Any tips on how to go about the claims? This is our first time claiming gluten-free food on our return. I had a friend make up an excel spreadsheet to figure out incremental costs, but if any of you long-timers have tips for a newbie, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Well, I am a newbie at this as well, so I might not be of much help. I have kept track of my gluten-free spending on an excel spreadsheet similar to the sample on the Rev Canada website. So far I've not gone to the grocery store to fill in the costs of "regular" food, but need to do that soon.
I really doubt they will give you the cornstarch, but it's worth a try. I guess because most people buy cornstarch even if they don't have celiac disease. In my own tracking, I have really only kept track of truly specialty foods. Anything that is basically mainstream or naturally gluten-free I haven't tracked, even though I have obviously spent a lot more than I used to on that sort of stuff. My understanding is that Rev Can will only let you claim the difference in cost between gluten-free and regular food. I haven't kept track of stuff like Thai Kitchen, though maybe I should because Mr. Noodle is probably cheaper. I have all my Kinnickinnik products, rice pastas, cake/cookie mixes, etc on my list as well as my organic corn flakes since it's the only cereal I can find that I actually like.
Good thread, and I'll be following it to hear what the others have to say.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

Last year I saved every receipt for gluten free food. I logged everything. When it came tax time, the amount I had spent on gluten free food (which to me seemed astronomical!), didn't even come close to the minimum amount allowed to be claimed. Now I don't know whether the amount is determined based on family income (since both hubby and I had fairly good incomes), but I know I did a whole bunch of work for nothin'!

Hopefully, it will be better for you guys........

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

First it would be based on your family income the percentage for medical expenses which is what this is considered.

Now cornstarch or other flours versus wheat flour. What you have to do is oz or kilo per kilo. So you add up how much your corn starch totally cost and say altogether it came to $15 for a kilo and all purpose flour is $3.00 a kilo. then you subtract the $3.00 from $15.00 which the difference is $12.00. The same if you use other flours or breads. Basically all we can deduct for is flours, breads, but pretty well nothing else which in my books is just wrong.

You can use any 12 month period which adds up to the most. E.G March to march.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#5 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

We don't really buy anything labelled gluten-free except pasta, cereal, cereal bars and flour. Everything else I've made from scratch (it hasn't always been edible, but I cringe at spending $7 for 4 hamburger buns). The sheet the association gave me said something about spices. There's only one 6 year old eating the specially labelled gluten-free stuff, so I guess we probably won't get to claim much either. Just the difference between Old El Paso taco chips and Safeway brand, or whatever.
I guess we'll see.
Something the guy DID say, was that Celiacs and Celiac Associations have to start pushing for amendments, and then if Revenue Canada gets enough or gets tired of hearing from the same 10 people every few months they might amend that section so you can claim for more stuff. I think that would be of benefit for people whose whole family goes gluten free for the benefit of one Celiac.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#6 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

If you are using any flours but wheat, like corn starch, potato, soy etc. you figure out what a kilo of that compared to a kilo of flour (gluten) type is and you claim the difference. I have kept all my receipts and I circle any of the envirokids cereals and bars that I buy. I have cut the front off of a box off of each so that if they ask I have it for proof. Gluten free cereals, bars, and cookies are also deductible.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

#7 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

I agree about sending letters to revenue Canada. They took it from a disability rating to a non disability rating.The point that it costs us a great deal, we have to travel (especially in small towns or any provice that doesn't have Toronto of Vancouver in it.) which is all the rest of the provinces. We have to travel all over the place to get our food and all the other things that are entailed in educating ourselves, making and finding our foods. We should either get the disability amount or be able to take our time, gas, wear and tear on the vehicles etc., into play also.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

#8 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

Do you need an official diagnosis of celiac to be able to make a claim?
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#9 ShortnSkinny

ShortnSkinny

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

Do you need an official diagnosis of celiac to be able to make a claim?

According to the canadian celiac website you need a medical certificate.

#10 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

HI all. I am newly diagnosed CEliac, and this is my first post.

My Father is a CGA, and he told me, as far as the increased use of cornstartch etc, that ONLY the portion of the cornstartch that is used in the Celiacs meals would be a tax deduction.

Also, as far as the deductions go, all medical expenses are calculated on the lowest income earner, so it is possibl;e that you will max out your medical deducitons long before you get to the write-offs for all our INCREDIBLEY expensive food.

Hope that helps.
Ryan

Positive blood work May 06
Positive results with diet change

#11 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

We really do need to get on their case of making this a disability again but I don't hold much hope with Harper in there.

They think a disability is the inability to feed ourselves. Without the deduction, the cost of our flour etc. does make it an inability to feed ourselves. If I was to lose my job today, I would lose the ability to feed myself because of the cost of the flour even.

I think we could have a case if we could get some decent free advice from a lawyer versed in medical issues.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

#12 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

This really doesn't have anything to do with the food deduction, but at least for those of you that live in B.C. and live out in the country...or if you have to travel for medical purposes, you can claim milage. With us, we live 58 kilometers from the clinic, so just before tax time, we go into the clinic and pick up a print out for the number of times we were in for appointments then claim our milage. I can't remember how much per kilometer, as H&R Block does our taxes, but it does make a huge difference along with the food deductions. Now I don't know if other provinces do this, but it wouldn't hurt to check with a tax person.

#13 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

Unfortunately, travelling to obtain the food or our food supplies just doesn't fit into their idea of medical deduction. Isn't that grand?

Yes you have to be diagnosed by a medical doctor of any kind to be allowed to take it off. Not only that but for the medical deduction to mean anything you need to make copious amounts of money.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

#14 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

I live in Alberta. We claim mileage to the hospital for the kids (17 trips in 2004). They even give a meal allowance. We live 100 km from the nearest pediatric hospital.
We claim the difference between purchasing gluten-free food and a wheat based/regular product. We have 2 celiac kids so can claim everything from cake mix to flour, cereal bars etc. I just keep receipts.
We live in a small town so travel is not easy - we order online from kinnnickinnick and this has saved a lot of hassle. Only HUGE bonus this year is that a gluten-free bakery opened up here (one week ago) - Terra Cotto - and they make some wonderful stuff.
Yes you have to have a diagnosis - we sent the biopsy report.

FYI - 2005 is the first year that diabetic children could be claimed as "disabled dependent". You have to fill out pages of stuff, have a doctor sign the form etc. You can't claim it if an adult has diabetes but they allow children because of the time required for parents to manage the disease (blood glucose testing, giving injecions, doctor appts etc). It took YEARS......with pediatricians/nurses supporting the parents campaign.
Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

#15 LittleZoe

LittleZoe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm looking for an excel sheet to track all my gluten free purchases and the cost difference. I can't find the one discussed in this thread from CRA. Does anyone have a good excel sheet they can share with me?
Gluten-free as of February 14, 2007
Casein/Lactose free since childhood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: