4 replies to this topic

#1 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:39 AM

My son has been gluten-free for about 6 months now. His abdomin is getting smaller, his Asthma is much better as well . He is still having some problems, for example, his bowel movements somtimes are still runny but no longer fatty and his skin is still very dry.

Does it take longer than 6 months to see improvments in these areas. His dry skin, does that mean something is missing from his diet like vitamins or minerals or does he just need more water? What causes the dry skin in Celiacs in the first place? He does not drink enough plain water but does have concentrated orange juice that I had more water to than recommend.

Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

Are you using any kind of lotion on his skin? Some lotions use wheat germ oils, and cause skin reactions. Try using just plain baby oil gel with no fragrance. It is the only thing that helps my skin whenever I have a gluten accident. Also, check his soap. Sometimes wheat is used as binders in the soap.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:32 AM

I have checked all of the soaps and lotions in our house and they are said to be gluten-free. I usually use Lubriderm after he has a bath. I'll have to find some unscented baby oil, that will probably help hold the moisture in.

Thanx Tracy

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:36 AM

One thing I've read can help is starting him in a warm bath, then after half of bath time is over, adding a bit of oil (a few drops) - I use almond, it's a good base, but there are others out there, and vitamin e oil might be good on occasion as well to the water. Alternatively, you can rub the oil on him after a bath too. It takes VERY little, but if used reguarly, it does seem to help a lot. (You can even use the oils in your pantry, but I don't want to smell like garlic-olive oil, no matter how much I like garlic! :-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 kaylee

kaylee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:44 AM

A number of people I know swear by evening primrose oil, which is taken as a dietary supplement. I'm not sure about how appropriate it would be for a small child, and if appropriate what dose should be used for dry skin problems. Still, it doesn't hurt to try and find out. I will poke around and see or maybe someone else knows.

Best,

Kaylee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: