This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Help

SammieMtz

SammieMtz Rookie

Hey all.... ive had celiac for about a year now and my family does absolutely nothing to support me. i really need support its hard doing this alone. almost everynight we have sumthing with gluten in it for dinner. ive tried the gluten-free diet a few times and its been successful for a few weeks but its like my family expects me 2 fail each and everytime. and I do. anyone else feel alone in this..? im scared and im not sure how 2 handle bein a celiac even after a year.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble. How old are you, are you living at home with your family.?

Dealing with Celiac is not always easy, but it will get better in time. Keep reading some of these posts and I am sure that it will be helpful to you.

There are alot of people here that are going through what you are, or have been. Sometimes it hard to get support from people around us, that why we have to be strong withing ourselves. My father, who died along time ago, used to say "What challenges us will make us stronger".

There is always alot of support here. So please stay with us, we all try to get through this disease together....and it just makes it a little easier. :)

Take care, Lisa B.

Lollie Enthusiast

I'm sorry your having such a hard time with your family. I know how it feels for your family to just sit back and hope you fail....my family took bets on how long I would make it at college! :angry: Luckily I won that bet! I finished! My point is that you have to go gluten-free for yourself, not for the family and with or without their support, even though that's hard, you have to think of your health! Do you help out with the shopping or cooking? That would be a great way to incorporate the diet, for you and the family!

This is a great way to get the support you don't get from the family! Just give us the word, we'll help you feel better, or at least try!

Hang in there you are not alone!!!!!!

-Lollie

Guest nini

gee, that is tough... one would hope that your family would be the FIRST in line to be supportive of you, but unfortunately that isn't always the case.

I agree, you have to do this for yourself, be strong within yourself and don't rely on your family to help you. All you can do is present them with as much research and evidence that with your DX you absolutely need to be on this diet and they absolutely should not try to sabotage you. You have to be convinced that you need to be on the diet. With a positive dx, if you do not stay on the diet you increase your risks of certain cancers and many other health issues.

If you are not responsible for any of the shopping or cooking in the house, you should start. Get foods that are naturally gluten free. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole cheeses (if you can tolerate dairy) and safe carbs like rice and potatoes and corn... There is a whole world of food out there that is not expensive and easy to prepare and you do not have to buy specialty foods to do this. If you would like my collection of files of safe lists and menus and dining out suggestions, feel free to e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net and request my "newbie survival kit" it's a zip file download, so you need an unzip program to open it, but if you want it it's yours.

tiffjake Enthusiast

I am sooo sorry to hear about that. I don't live with my family, but when I am around them for the holidays, they just don't get it. So I do know what thats like. I agree with the above responses. You can control what is right infront of you. If they are having steak and potato for dinner, then you can have that, but what if they are having spaghetti (sp?)? Maybe you could suggest to your family or parents that you have some gluten free frozen dinners, like Amy's Kitchen, in the freezer for the meals that they will be eating without you, like a pasta dish. Or maybe you could make a salad on those nights, or something else that you know you can trust to be gluten free.I wish there was more that I could think of to help....that is a tough situation. But be strong. You are being healthy. And that is really great!! Keep up the great work!!

TCA Contributor

This group is sooo supportive. Everyone here has helped me learn about the diet and implement it with my kids. There are so many lists of things. If I could send you anything, please let me know. The diet is not nearly as hard as you might think once you get going on it. I wish your family were more supportive, but maybe they can be convinced. I'll pray for it!

SammieMtz Rookie

thank you alll very very much! and i am responsible for alot of the cooking/shopping altho i am only 16 and my mom basically says what im 2 prepare that night and alot of the times ill suggest certain things but then everyone else overrules me and then gets offended when i dont have what theyre having. im trying very hard and my boyfriend that im currently dating is very very supportive. and even when i have a sudden craving for sumthin i should not eat he makes sure i dont eat it. certainly this site....all the great pplz on it.. and my bf is what is helpin me thru. thanx all one again. ive tried explaining it to my family several times...they just dont get it. thank you tho... feels great that im not alone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

karisox Newbie

I feel so bad for you! Thankfully (i guess that sounds wierd) my mom has celiac too and was diagnosed years before me so it was easy for me to start the diet. Maybe if you take your parents with you to the doctor or explain to them if you don't stay on the diet you can die. Sometimes you need to spell it out for people so they understand how critical it is to stay gluten free. I am sure if you parents understand how important it is they will help more! As for food options, baked potatoes are always a good option. They take about 7 min to cook in the microwave and are quick and easy. I know im sick of them but its better than not eating! Good luck and I hope explaining your situation to your parents will help them be more supportive!

Archived