This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kraft Foods

sparkles

sparkles Contributor

I know that Kraft lists wheat on their ingredient labels but what about gluten from rye, barley, and oats. I am trying to be totally gluten-free and was thrilled to see that I could add Kraft to my "maybe..check the label" food list. But I got to thinking about it, as symptoms seem to be returning, and I am wondering if Kraft products that do not list wheat are just WHEAT FREE but not GLUTEN FREE.... I have noticed some products saying that they are WHEAT FREE but am leery as I understand the disease, one needs to avoid gluten from rye, barley and oats..... Any help here would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I have always understood that Kraft will list barley, rye, wheat and oats. I use Kraft products all the time. Read the label. I have not had any problems with any of their products. Could you be having other food intolerences?

Hez

VydorScope Proficient

Here is Krafts offical statement on gluten/etc

Open Original Shared Link

Best to get it form teh source :) Short version is htey will list Rye/etc.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Ok, call me crazy, but that still makes me nervous.

I had heard that Kraft barbeque sauce is gluten free, went to buy some last night, and don't you know one of the ingredients is modified food starch! If it's corn starch, why can't they just come out and say it?

I got scared and didn't buy it, but I'd kill for barbeque sauce! Plain chicken is so boring!

Gah!

SharonF Contributor

If you know they'll list any major allergens, and they don't list "wheat" for modified food starch, then it should be okay.

jerseyangel Proficient

Kraft is a company you can trust on this. I use their Original Flavor BBQ sauce--never had a problem. I tend to have problems with a lot of mainstream companies--Kraft is an exception.

VydorScope Proficient
Food Starch and Modified Food Starch: When listed in the ingredient statement of Kraft products, “food starch” and “modified food starch” often refer to corn starch. Our ingredient suppliers assure us that the corn starch we use in our products does not contain gluten. If a Kraft product uses food starches from a gluten- containing source, such as wheat starch, the source will always be identified in the ingredient statement.

In otherwords its corn unless they say its not. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I use Kraft BBQ sauces, but I prefer Annie's Natural's BBQ sauces, the ones that are clearly labled gluten free. I have this thing about supporting companies that clearly label their products!

cgilsing Enthusiast

I trust Kraft foods. In fact I would say that 70% of the prepackaged foods I buy are Kraft food products. The only problem I ever had with them involved Breyer's yogurt. I had called the # on the package from the grocery store and the lady answered Kraft foods. I told her that she had already anwered my question since I knew that Kraft listed gluten in their labels. That was on a Friday, on Saturday I ate the yogurt and got sick (from something, not neccessarily the yogurt) I tried to call, but since it was Saturday they were closed. I looked online and found that Breyer's, while owned by Kraft, is a Canadian company (and actually the package the yogurt was in didn't say Kraft anywhere). I also found a statement from Breyer's online saying that they could not assure that their products were gluten-free (I don't know how old that statement was though). I never got around to calling Kraft to work it out on Monday. I still eat anything that has the Kraft name on it and doen't list the forbiden ingredients, but I stay away from Breyer's yogurt ;)

lorka150 Collaborator

hey Al,

I've used Kraft BBQ sauce with no problems - even now, if you can believe it. i purchased the plain version.

lovegrov Collaborator

My opinion -- Kraft is very trustworthy as far as listing ingredients and I've heard very few complaints about CC. However, any company that makes various processed foods always has a chance of CC. That's just life. Still, I don't heistate to use Kraft foods and to trust their labeling.

richard

Heater Rookie

I found this Kraft Canada website to be very helpful. It specifically lists products that are gluten free, not just wheat free.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived