This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Normal Bm

sabrinajanae

sabrinajanae Newbie

i have been trying to be gluten-free -- I had slipped uu in jan and I thought I was getting over it but I still haivng very loose stools taht are dark brown and then light later on. Like today I had 2 bm that are floating, dark, smelly and I have stomach ache. I could not tell you the size, but they were not pencil thin -- maybe the width of the 2nd digit. They are not very long. but it seems every time I ahve to have a bm lately this is how they turn out. I have been dx wtih ibs over 10 yrs ago. over the past year I have been trying to be gluten-free... which seeemed to help and I was not relying on my bentyl (for ibs) anymore. hoever since my slip up around jan 16th i have not been normal. I did slip up on friday and gave into 2 small peices of garlic bread. I am just wondering if I should give my doc a call. i am tired of this.

thanks

sabrina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

It doesn't sound like you have been really gluten free lately. Do keep in mind that after a good glutening, it will take up to three weeks for everything to return to normal, so if you slip up every month or so, you'll hardly ever feel well, and then it's easy to start doubting the diet.

This is just my opinion, but what I'd do is: Stick to unprocessed, simple food for a while, something that you know for SURE is gluten free, don't eat out, and take care you don't have cross contamination issues at home. See how you feel in another three or four weeks time. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Pauliina

Dlapham celiac & DH Newbie
i have been trying to be gluten-free -- I had slipped uu in jan and I thought I was getting over it but I still haivng very loose stools taht are dark brown and then light later on. Like today I had 2 bm that are floating, dark, smelly and I have stomach ache. I could not tell you the size, but they were not pencil thin -- maybe the width of the 2nd digit. They are not very long. but it seems every time I ahve to have a bm lately this is how they turn out. I have been dx wtih ibs over 10 yrs ago. over the past year I have been trying to be gluten-free... which seeemed to help and I was not relying on my bentyl (for ibs) anymore. hoever since my slip up around jan 16th i have not been normal. I did slip up on friday and gave into 2 small peices of garlic bread. I am just wondering if I should give my doc a call. i am tired of this.

thanks

sabrina

Sabrina,

I had a simular thing happen to me, only I did not know I had eaten anything with gluten, after eating at a friends home, (she thought she had made everything gluten-free, but did not know about hidden gluten) I developed a mild GI pain and gas, then the classic for me, an attack diarrhea in which everything in the GI tract turns to water. It lasted for several days, during that time I can control it with lopranimine (SP?) if I take about 6 in the first 2 to 3 hours. Then a few days later as I about to get it under control, I ate at a TACO MAYO and only the SAFE items that their corporate office told me were gluten-free, and with in hours had a worse attack. The moral of this event is, that it does not take much to trigger an attack and it takes a while to get over it. Another thing I have found is that the HIDDEN GLUTEN is in a lot of things that one would not expect to see it in. I now read EVERY label and email the manufacture when in doubt or if I have a question about a product. You might also take note if some of the reactions come after you use dairy products or products with CASINE in them. Most Celiacs are to some degree intollerant of those items untill the gut has a chance to heal. I am also VERY sensitive to MSG in several of it's forms, but not all. That is a study of it's own to find the source and the many different names used to hide the real name (MSG) on labels.

In short, when you think it is not working, dig deeper in to the knowledge base on this site and the other internet sites and you will find information which will help you to know what is happening, or at least to have a better idea of what to try, and above all don't give up.

Felidae Enthusiast

I agree you could try to eliminate dairy and/or soy. If I eat dairy, I get gluten-like bm's. But it is important to remain 100% gluten-free.

sabrinajanae Newbie
I agree you could try to eliminate dairy and/or soy. If I eat dairy, I get gluten-like bm's. But it is important to remain 100% gluten-free.

what about drinking lactaid milk? yougurt like light & fit by dannon? Before this flare up or whatever it is in januray I was doing better and eating cheese ( I have string cheese & yogurt every day for snacks at work & calcium etc.) I know I have IBS (per md) and have had a lot of stressors lately.. I am wondering which is which with me. ugh! thanks!

aikiducky Apprentice

If you want to see if dairy really is the culprit, cut it out completely for a couple weeks. You can survive two weeks without dairy, right? :lol: Anyway, if you feel better after the two weeks, first try something like hard cheese and see what happens. The reason is that hard cheese doesn't have any lactose to speak of, so if you react to that, then it's the milk protein you're reacting to and lactaid etc. doesn't help with that. If hard cheese is fine, you can then try plain milk and see what happens, if that gives you loose stools and gas, then you're probably just lactose intolerant and you can have low-lactose products. If you react to the hard cheese though, you better could cut out all dairy, otherwise you'll keep having the glutening like symptoms.

hope that helps :)

Pauliina

Felidae Enthusiast
If you want to see if dairy really is the culprit, cut it out completely for a couple weeks. You can survive two weeks without dairy, right? :lol: Anyway, if you feel better after the two weeks, first try something like hard cheese and see what happens. The reason is that hard cheese doesn't have any lactose to speak of, so if you react to that, then it's the milk protein you're reacting to and lactaid etc. doesn't help with that. If hard cheese is fine, you can then try plain milk and see what happens, if that gives you loose stools and gas, then you're probably just lactose intolerant and you can have low-lactose products. If you react to the hard cheese though, you better could cut out all dairy, otherwise you'll keep having the glutening like symptoms.

Pauliina

Yep, that's exactly how I figured out that casein was my problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dlapham celiac & DH Newbie

Pauliina

I agree with the above posts, but would add that you will have to find out what foods work for you and what ones do not. And that may change from time to time.

I can eat hard cheese, but have to watch pregrated cheese. It has potatoe starch in it and celulose powder (I suspect that some times the celulose powder has some wheat flour in it) . I have had a reaction to some grated cheese at times. I CAN NOT eat yogart, even if I take lactase enzyme with it. I can use butter, cream, full fat icecream but not cottage cheese, milk, low fat icecream or powdered milk in any form. I also CAN NOT eat any thing with added casine. It triggers as strong a reaction as gluten. It sounds strange, but hard cheese is a go and it has casine in it. But I suspect that the bacteria culture that is used to make the cheese in some way modifies the casine so that it acn be more easley digested.

As the others said, I will second, try going WITHOUT dairy and eat NOTHING with dairy in it for several weeks and see what happens. I know for me the effect of the foods that my system don't like for outweighs the pleasure of eating them.

Good luck, and let us know how you come out.

sabrinajanae Newbie

I appreciate all the adivce.. what exactly is casein? I have heard of it but not 100% sure of it. Also has anyone heard of zone bars? I eat the fudge grahm (there is no grahm flour in it though). I probably should just call the company. I hace actually decided to get in contact with a GI doc. I have only gone to family docs ever since having probs when I was 14 ( I amm now 28). I need to find out exactly what is going on. I missed work yesterday and then my clinical the day before and actually left work early the day before b/c of my gut. I slept for most of the day yesterday and teh day b4. I actually got bought some immodium ad yesterday -- thinking maybe I had a bug b/c my bently (dicyclomine) that I take for IBS was not helping. I actually has an appetite last night and this morning. AS far as the abnormal bm -- that has been going on since prob mid jan. I spoke with my mom last night about it on the phone and she really wants to me to go see someone too. The milk thing is something I am going to have to try to give up but that'll be tough b/c it is a huge part of my diet. I know I can't have like soft-serve ice cream... but as far as I know I ahve never had a huge issue with the cheese or yogurt. Anyway I am going to call a doctor once monday comes.

thanks -

sabrina

• 5 years later...
msda Newbie

I'm new to this site and to a gluten free diet. I have not been tested for celiac but I'm in the second week of being gluten and dairy free to try to relieve excessive gas, bloating and chronic loose BMs. I've noticed some signifigant improvements in the way my stomach feels, but not any notable change in loose BMs. Wondering if I'm on the right track. Is there a time line of improvments associated with this diet? Thank you for your time. (:

Best regards,

MSDA

Archived