7 replies to this topic

#1 marciab

marciab

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:29 AM

I'm on a mission to stop my stomach from hurting all the time. I'm on the gluten free, food sensitivity, vegan diet and I have added oils with EFA's to my diet for nutrition and to aid with chronic "C". So far, so good. My bowels are moving like clockwork and my stomach is no longer churning. Just left with a little gas related chest pain, but it's really not a big deal at this point.

I've read where You can't cure IBS with diet, but I am beginning to wonder. Anyone else ? Anyone trying oils / with EFA's ?

BTW, all the meds were either too strong or useless. Zelnorm worsened my stomach cramps.

Thanks for your help ... Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

Were you tested for Celiac? Many times, celiac has been misdiagnosed as IBS. If a the diet you are following makes you feel better, then you are most likely intolerant of something that you were eating, and that is what was causing your pain. Many of us started gluten-free trying to find a "cure" for our illnesses.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:31 AM

Going gluten-free and dairy-free has eliminated my IBS symptoms. Since IBS is not a disease, there is no cure anyways.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#4 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for your replies. SOooo, does this mean I can stop waiting for the pain to come back ????

I've been on this diet for 6 months now and mostly pain free for about a month, simply because I was in denial about a few foods I didn't want to part with.

Any word on the "C" and using oils to help deal with it ? I'm just using what the bottle labels as the RDA amount or less and I feel fine. Cramped a little in the beginning, but not anymore.

Unfortunately, I wasn't tested for celiac. I saw a GI for 2 years and he did an endo and colonoscopy, but didn't look for celiac. My GP diagnosed me as celiac based on positive diet response in Sept 05.

Thanks again folks ... marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#5 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

You can cure IBS. Look at the Specific carbohydrate diet at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com. it is amazing and really, really works!!!!!!!
I LOVE JESUS!

#6 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

Well after getting a good nites sleep, it dawned on me that I was obviously misdiagnosed with IBS. DUH !!!!! That's what ya'll have been trying to tell me, but I couldn't process it. The old brain fog.

Good foods = no cramps, pain, "D", or "C"
Bad foods = cramps, pain, "D" and "C"

Don't ya'll just love explaining things fifty times ..... Thank you .... Marcia

#7 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

That's ok, Marcia. With some of the doctors that some of us have had, we have learned to patiently explain things over and over. As the fog clears, you will understand!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#8 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

Dessa
Thanks for your patience. I'm good now. Sometimes it just takes me awhile to connect the dots....
Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: