This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amy's Kitchen Products

ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie Explorer

I love Amy's Kitchen products. I don't know how common they are everywhere else but here in Oregon, you can find them in almost any grocery store. She makes a lot of Gluten-free and vegan frozen dinners. I have always loved her products and eat them frequently. They proudly advertise that they are good for people on a gluten-free/lactose free diet. Just recently I started to get minor stomach cramps from the Amy's meals I ALWAYS eat. I looked at the box and it said, "Manufactored in a plant that also produces Wheat and Dairy products." This warning was not there a couple of months ago and is a recent phenomena.

I am really upset about this. I feel that Amy's products are a staple for many Celiacs who need quick healthy meals. I just wondered if anyone has encountered the same problem that I have with this or if anyone feels the same way.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I used to eat their Shepherds Pie and I noticed a few months ago that the "gluten free" label was gone :( I am very disapointed. If they are going to serve people with allergies and intolerances, then why do they have wheat and dairy in their facilities? Does wheat and dairy have to be everywhere? I get so annoyed that wheat and dairy are in so many things. Grrr.

ErraticBinxie Explorer

If any was wondering, I emailed the company and just got a response today:

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I can understand your concern.

Amy's has always had strict Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) to assure that

non gluten products are not contaminated with gluten and we will continue to

strengthen these practices. The GMPs include strict raw material control,

sanitation practices and employee training. We are constantly updating these

procedures to include more testing and in process checks. We have an on-going

commitment to ensuring that both our "Gluten Free" and "No Gluten

Added" products are acceptable products for any consumer that wants to

avoid gluten.

We now offer more than 120 products here at Amy's, all healthy and delicious.

You can see them all on our website at www.amys.com or, send us your mailing

address, and we'll send you our latest product brochure.

Best regards,

Carol Tamagni

Customer Relations

penguin Community Regular
Amy's has always had strict Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) to assure that

non gluten products are not contaminated with gluten and we will continue to

strengthen these practices. The GMPs include strict raw material control,

sanitation practices and employee training. We are constantly updating these

procedures to include more testing and in process checks. We have an on-going

commitment to ensuring that both our "Gluten Free" and "No Gluten

Added" products are acceptable products for any consumer that wants to

avoid gluten.

That's a Vague McAnswer if I do say so myself :huh:

I guess they're standing behind their "well we're trying" fence, eh?

All I know is that they don't really agree with me. <_<

hez Enthusiast

I probably eat Amy's frozen foods a couple of times a month. I think they do better than some other companies in handling gluten-free items. That does not mean there is not a possibility of contamination. Berness had a post several months ago where she got sick. Amy's tested the batch and did detect a small amout of gluten. What I appreciated was Amy's reaction to Berness. They did not blow her off, but took her complaint seriously. I do think they try to keep contamination to a minumum and work with celiac.

Hez

I am sorry :( I did not realize I was in the teen seciton.

Hez

Guest cassidy

I talked to someone who seemed pretty high up in the company. I got glutened from two meals I bought from them and they sent me cash back in the mail with a hand-written note card. It was a bit weird, but I got reimbursed.

I asked her about those new labels that aren't on everything that is labeled gluten-free. She said that nothing is different, but that they put the labels on because people with allergies were upset when they learned that their allergen was used in the same area and it wasn't on the packaging. She also said more people are upset that the labels are on the packages. They she said they are opening a new manufacturing plant where the rice mac and cheese and rice crust pizza will be made, and there will be no gluten there. I think someone else posted that they are coming out with new gluten-free foods that will be manufactured in this new plant, a pasta and tomato sauce and I don't remember the other one.

I will still eat some of their products but I won't eat the bowls, or the rice mac and cheese - those got me sick once. She said the new plant would be up and running in February so we should see the items in stores in June. I asked if those items would still carry the warning and she said they hadn't decided. I would think they would take the wheat off the warning label if there is no wheat around, but we will see

Carriefaith Enthusiast
They she said they are opening a new manufacturing plant where the rice mac and cheese and rice crust pizza will be made, and there will be no gluten there. I think someone else posted that they are coming out with new gluten-free foods that will be manufactured in this new plant, a pasta and tomato sauce and I don't remember the other one.
That would be very nice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived