This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Speech Problems - Following Through With Sentences

Lisa

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I've had two biopsies now, although this GI professor that I go to has only done the colonoscopy to find the collagenous colitis, he didn't do a biopsy, he's going by the results of previous biopsies..... No repair....
Oh no :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mouse Enthusiast

Yes to all of your statements. Except the last two would now have a different answer. I no longer think that I have permanent brain damage from the malnutrition and I have seen noticable improvement recently. I just wish it would speed up :blink: . At my age I can't wait forever - senility might arrive first :lol: I would think that the recovery time would depend on how long we suffered with malasportion (still can't spell) before we got diagnosed.

Lisa Mentor

thanks, glad to know I am in good company, :)

Ladybruin Newbie

I too had speech problems and difficulty remembering everything.

I highly reccomend drinking fresh juice- get the Jack Lalane juicer (Or what ever) and make yourself some fresh carrot/apple/grape juice.

I did that every day after being diagnosed, and the difference in my GI problems and memory problems was unbelievable!

Be regular with it. Try other options too, I love pineapple/orange/coconut too.

I hated juice at first, and used to gag and almost throw it up in the beginning, but stick with it. There is nothing healthier that you can do for your body. The freshest, purest water comes from fruits and vegetables. We all need more of that.

I promise you will be glad you did.

P.S.- I couldn't spell before, either.....

jenvan Collaborator

Lisa-

If you feel like your brain fog is serious or that it puts you in danger, I would see a doctor. If not, then I'd give it some time. AFTER going gluten-free is when I really started to get brain fog, and for a several months I started forgetting words, forgetting things I was supposed to do (rare for me) and talking in a dslyexic fashion. My dh totally noticed a big change in me. Luckily it went away. If its serious or persists for an extended period of time, I would see a doc about it. Hope you feel better soon--its an awful feeling!

munchkinette Collaborator

Wow, I'm glad this thread came up. I have been a total space cadet for a few years now. I hate driving because it makes me nervous and stressed. I just don't feel like I'm as alert as I should be. I've been taking ritalin for a few years, and I started to feel like it wasn't working as well... that appointment with the shrink promted me to get some tests which eventually lead to finding out about gluten. After a few weeks gluten-free I feel like my ritalin is working again... I'm hoping to take less eventually.

I'm 27. For the last 6-7 years I've felt like I've been slowly getting dumber. I figured that was just maturity and wisdom making me realize that I don't know everything (like teenagers think they do) but I also felt spacy. I thought maybe some of my antidepressants were causing those problems, but I do think the wheat has had an effect. It's only been bothering me for a few years, just like my other health problems.

Lisa Mentor

Thanks for your input. It still sort of freaks me out. It's hard not to crawl into a shell like Karen's. Your safty net is your home. But, on the other hand, it looks like it will get better and I'm in good company. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bradshank Newbie

I too am grateful for this thread... it's good to know i'm not alone in this no-mans land.

b

penguin Community Regular

This thread is great.

I glutened myself (on purpose, I know :rolleyes: ) on monday and I've barely been able to complete a sentence since! :huh:

Damn the fog! It's the first sign I have that I've been glutened. I feel stoned :ph34r:

I mean, it's a cheap and easy way without going to Amsterdam, I guess, but I'd rather not. :blink:

Lisa Mentor

I know that there are other stories out there. I am with hopes and being gluten free that I will continue to heal body and brain. Thank you all for your impute and if there is anyone out there that has reaseach to indicate mind healing after gluten free , please let us know.

The mind is a very complicated organ. I didn't have much to begin with, but don't want to loose what I have :blink:

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I've been gluten-free for about 6 weeks and I don't know what's goign on......was in a FOG for years, then came out of it dramatically after being gluten-free for just 5 days......but am kind of in it again. A more alert fog, I will say, but, I can't remember anything for more than about 5 seconds and everything seems really confusing. Can barely perform tasks and at work, I think they think I'm seriously stupid or brain-damaged.

Will this get better????? :(:(:(

I'm going to try the juice - getting many carrots and apples tomorrow.....

Dlapham celiac & DH Newbie
I've been gluten-free for about 6 weeks and I don't know what's goign on......was in a FOG for years, then came out of it dramatically after being gluten-free for just 5 days......but am kind of in it again. A more alert fog, I will say, but, I can't remember anything for more than about 5 seconds and everything seems really confusing. Can barely perform tasks and at work, I think they think I'm seriously stupid or brain-damaged.

Will this get better????? :(:(:(

I'm going to try the juice - getting many carrots and apples tomorrow.....

I had an experience some what like that. When I went gluten-free I had a rapid decrease of some symptoms, but my D/H went crazy for several weeks. I had to increase my dapsone for a while, but now I am down to half the dose I was on before being gluten-free. My anxiety improved by 98% in a few days and stayed that way for about 4 months, then returned with almost the same intensity as before, just not all the time as before. My foggy mind and memory are getting better, but the anxiety is canceling out some of the improvement. I have trouble talking because of it. Some times it feels like my brain is going to short circuit and explode. Has anyone had that type of situation happen to them???

Aside from these things life is better in gluten-free mode. My weight is up (a good thing) and blood work is better then in 15 years. Spelling is not improved though.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Brain fog is a symptom of low thyroid, too....

ianm Apprentice

It will take more than six weeks but the important thing is that you are seeing improvements. It was about two years before I could really say I was healthy and free of the fatigue and brain fog on a consistant basis. You did not get this way overnight and you will not heal overnight. I almost lost my job because of the brain fog but turned things around and got a better one last month so there is hope.

germanguy Newbie

Ok ok, everybody!!! I had the same problem.

I am only 24 and 4 years ago I couldn't remember a 3 digit number! Seriously.

I also forgot the rest of the sentence or even what i was talking about right in the middle of the sentence. It drove me crazy. I was the most eloquent kid till 5th grade, so it was even harder.

I also had problems navigating on the street which was really bad since my girlfriends dad owns a logistic company and i was working there as a driver during vacation time. I also fell asleep twice driving, due to my health condition. Luckily nothing happened!

The good thing is that i acquired special mind techniques to still memorize the important stuff, which are no of great value. Memorizing lists and numbers as a picture and so on.

I always thought this kind of bad memory was kinda normal since all the docs told me I was alright. They made me feel as if I was making stuff up (they didn't say it, but I know that they thought i was).

Only after I started studying law I realized that I simply could not keep up with most of the other students... I had to learn 12 hours a day, not trying to fall asleep most of the time! It was plain horror.

But then I stopped eating gluten and everything changed. Only after a couple of weeks my memory came back slowly but evenly, and every improvement made me happy like a little child. Suddenly I started to memorize dates I just caught by accident or even telephone numbers. My imagination improved at the same time. At first I started to imagine objects in my mind and move them virtually... now I am even capable of imagening colored scenes. It's really really awesome. By the way I also started to remember situations from my early childhood, like things that happened in Kindergarten... This almost made me cry! :rolleyes:

Today (eating gluten-free for about one year) I feel better than ever and I am still improving! So there's hope for all of you. I am still kinda young, do a lot of sports, and eat a lot of veggies and meat and fish instead of only high carbohydrate and sugary stuff. So I might recover faster.

Anyway I am sure that the memory problem is highly related to vitamin and minderal insufficiency and can be reversed!

germanguy Newbie

My advice for ppl still having brain fog.

Try tweaking your life :)

1. Take notes for EVERYHTING. One piece of paper for one day. Cross everything out that is not inportant anymore. Check the paper regularly!

2. For memorizing numbers use an image for every number (0 to 9) and make a story out of it. Sounds weird, but really works.

For example:

0 = egg

1 = pole

2 = swan

3 = trident

4 = shamrock

and so on...

So if I try to memorize the number 4013 I make up a story that goes like this (the weirder the much likely you will remember it):

I find a SHAMROCK, i pull it out off the ground but there is a big EGG is connected to it, i try to open it with a POLE, but it it is not sharp enough, so I have to use a TRIDENT.

4. While driving use gps navigation! Those thingies aren't that expensive anymore!

Have fun! ;)

germanguy Newbie

I just thought of something else!

The brain fog might also be related to a slight hypoglycemia.

Many ppl in this forum including me tend to go a little hypoglemic...

Also checkout this thread:

Open Original Shared Link

I don't know the exact reason for this, but I know that I was able to lift my brain fog temporarily while I still was being glutened by taking dextrose.

I also saw some diabetics going really hypoglemic and it all started with a little brainfog that got more severe in a couple of minutes. This one guy was giving a speech and he started talking stuff that was making no sense at all, till he repeated on sentence for about 5 times, till someone noticed that something wasn't all right.

Anyhow I am not going hypoglemic that much since I started eating gluten-free. No shaking hands, no cold sweats... this just might be one piece of the brain fog puzzle (besides vitamines)!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Wow German Guy! Thanks for all of that, when my brain's not so foggy (like maybe in the morning) I am going to look at that more closely...it sounds hard but maybe it's not that hard? We will see. I have about a 5-second memory now, hopefully that will improve... :huh:

Claire Collaborator

I have never personally had the brain fog problem. I do know that going gluten-free helps with this. Recently got my daughter's coworker (recently diagnosed with lupus) to go gluten-free. Brain fog was to her a threat to her job so she is trying hard. Very definite improvement.

The speech issues are something different. I have ataxia - a gait and balance problem - which is often accompanied by speech and swallowing problems. Going gluten-free may slow down the progress of these symptoms - not likely to reverse them. This shows on MRI as a pattern of damage very similiar to MS>

It can be related to Celiac - more commonly to the so called Gluten Sensitivity disorder (also geneti). Claire

Guest BellyTimber

I am sometimes like that with my M.E. (even finding my usual suroundings strange on occasion)

A number of people have celiac disease and M.E.

However, any of the other possibilities the others have mentioned are also likely.

One way and another you are in excellent company.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

My Lord, Michael, you're back!

I even posted a thread if anyone knew where you had gone to!

Welcome back!

Karen

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor
The brain fog might also be related to a slight hypoglycemia.

Many ppl in this forum including me tend to go a little hypoglemic...

My brain fog's down as much as it's probably going to be today so I might as well add a reply now.

I'm still trying to identify what food intolerances I have, but it seems that the brain fog becomes much worse for a couple days after I react to something. I still get weak and out of it at times if I don't eat frequently enough on normal days and that's the hypoglycemic effect, but my brain fog is significantly better when I'm not recovering from a food reaction and also goes away moreso after eating on most days.

I've now been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, borderline hypoglycemia, and severe hypoglycemia from the same glucose tolerance test results. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zmom

I have been having memory problems/brain fog/farts for years. For a couple of months I was getting vitamin "pushes" at the allergy Dr. which really helped because the vitamins were going directly into the blood stream. They also have 2 hour drips but at $125 for those and $65 per "push" its too expensive out of pocket. the Dr. prescribed do-it-yourself B-12 shots but they kind of freaked me out.Some people have allergic reactions so he precribed an epi-pen. and the little bottles were a pain and very sensitive to light...

I started to drink gatorade rain(green) a couple of weeks ago and a feel a little better. its so hard to drink enough water.I am sure some of my problem is dehydration w/mineral depletion I also take L-theanine the Dr. sells in his holistic pharmacy.It really helps with the anxiety and counteracts some of the caffine side effects in coffee. It has no side efects if you get high quality. I tried suntheanine from Japan last week and it gave me palpatations so it must not have been "pure".

Claire Collaborator
I have been having memory problems/brain fog/farts for years. For a couple of months I was getting vitamin "pushes" at the allergy Dr. which really helped because the vitamins were going directly into the blood stream. They also have 2 hour drips but at $125 for those and $65 per "push" its too expensive out of pocket. the Dr. prescribed do-it-yourself B-12 shots but they kind of freaked me out.Some people have allergic reactions so he precribed an epi-pen. and the little bottles were a pain and very sensitive to light...

I started to drink gatorade rain(green) a couple of weeks ago and a feel a little better. its so hard to drink enough water.I am sure some of my problem is dehydration w/mineral depletion I also take L-theanine the Dr. sells in his holistic pharmacy.It really helps with the anxiety and counteracts some of the caffine side effects in coffee. It has no side efects if you get high quality. I tried suntheanine from Japan last week and it gave me palpatations so it must not have been "pure".

Please consider CoQ10 - a natural occuring enzyme. It was a miracle for me - it took a few weeks to notice improvement and about two months to really enjoy the results. It is not cheap but both Swanson and Vitacost have it aat reasonable price. Claire

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I notice it a lot when I'm typing - I'll type an entirely different word in place of what I meant! Also, helping my daughter with her math homework - although I'm sure some of that is the fact that I haven't done "simple" math in my head in years thanks to the calculator and computer.

The last time I was glutened, I was driving home from work and before I knew it I was getting off an exit ramp... problem was - I didn't know which one it was! Fortunately, it was the right one but I had an absolute split second of panic!!

Maybe I'll just keep getting more highlights and blame it on that??? :lol:

Archived