This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Speech Problems - Following Through With Sentences

Lisa

Random-Guy Newbie

I'm not sure if Lisa or anyone else on this thread still posts here since i don't post here or even lurk here often.

I have celiac, and have been gluten-free for almost 4 (or maybe 5) years. Over the last year and a half I started noticing that I was having trouble with word recall. Over the last few months I've noticed it's gotten really bad. I've also noticed memory problems, a few pronunciation problems, not being able to finish a sentence, and typing problems.

My GP has me doing b12 shots. I don't have much faith in my GP's diagnostic skills.

My endo, who i trust and respect, said i should see a neurologist to see why it's happening. He said it might be caused by celiac.

So i was wondering if anyone fro this thread had any updates for how they're doing with these types of 'brain fog' issues.

thanks

and happy gluten-free thanksgiving!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa Mentor
I'm not sure if Lisa or anyone else on this thread still posts here since i don't post here or even lurk here often.

I have celiac, and have been gluten-free for almost 4 (or maybe 5) years. Over the last year and a half I started noticing that I was having trouble with word recall. Over the last few months I've noticed it's gotten really bad. I've also noticed memory problems, a few pronunciation problems, not being able to finish a sentence, and typing problems.

My GP has me doing b12 shots. I don't have much faith in my GP's diagnostic skills.

My endo, who i trust and respect, said i should see a neurologist to see why it's happening. He said it might be caused by celiac.

So i was wondering if anyone fro this thread had any updates for how they're doing with these types of 'brain fog' issues.

thanks

Well yes, Lisa is still around :rolleyes: , after almost four years.

Ninety-nine percent of my issues, which began this thread are gone. I still have some memory issues, but I don't necessarily attribute that to Celiac.

I do keep up with several people in this tread, and some have ongoing, collateral issues and others are doing quite well.

Random-Guy Newbie

thanks

Lisa,

I'm so happy to hear that. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. You've given me hope.

Any thoughts on what may have helped?

thanks

-RG

Lisa Mentor
Lisa,

I'm so happy to hear that. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. You've given me hope.

Any thoughts on what may have helped?

thanks

-RG

In my case, it was the b12 shots that I had once a week for a month, then once a month for six, that stopped the brain fog and a good healthy diet.

I know that I have found myself, at times, being a little lax about the diet after five years, but I never cheat with intent. I do not get sick after cross contact or accidental ingestion. But, that's just me. My theory is that after years of healing, it would take repeated exposure, over an undisclosed time frame to reoccur the damage, where I would be symptomatic.

Are you careful about everything? I do know that long term use of antacids effects your B-12 levels. After four or five years gluten free, this might not be a gluten issue.

I would encourage you to continue to seek medical help.

Random-Guy Newbie
In my case, it was the b12 shots that I had once a week for a month, then once a month for six, that stopped the brain fog and a good healthy diet.

I know that I have found myself, at times, being a little lax about the diet after five years, but I never cheat with intent. I do not get sick after cross contact or accidental ingestion. But, that's just me. My theory is that after years of healing, it would take repeated exposure, over an undisclosed time frame to reoccur the damage, where I would be symptomatic.

Are you careful about everything? I do know that long term use of antacids effects your B-12 levels. After four or five years gluten free, this might not be a gluten issue.

I would encourage you to continue to seek medical help.

I'm very careful about being gluten-free. I'm going to take the b12 weekly. I also got a prescription for fish oil and vitamin d and some other stuff I can't remember (of course).

So far I've been able to hide it at work, or at least hide the extent of it. If it gets worse, I won't be effective at my job. That's scary, especially in this economy.

I've got a first appointment with a neurologist in 3 weeks. Until then, I'm trying to not get too worked up - but it's not easy.

Korwyn Explorer
Well yes, Lisa is still around :rolleyes: , after almost four years.

Ninety-nine percent of my issues, which began this thread are gone. I still have some memory issues, but I don't necessarily attribute that to Celiac.

I do keep up with several people in this tread, and some have ongoing, collateral issues and others are doing quite well.

Wow....Lisa I'm glad. In the 7 months I've been on this forum and gluten-free I never saw this thread. It has given me great hope since I've actually gotten quite freaked out. The brainfog and speech and memory things that others have mentioned came for me after going gluten-free (like they have for a couple other people) and have been quite bad at times, then they get better, the foggy again and it has been actually quite scary. I'm quite relieved to know that I'm not the only one and that others have had the same thing happen and have gotten better over time.

I wonder if it is a long term withdrawal issue from the opioid effects some research has show that gluten has on some brains.

Lisa Mentor

They say that it can take up to two years (totally gluten free) for a full recovery. Nero symptoms seem to be the last to come around, after the digestive issues.... (When the bathroom was five seconds away and you needed to be there in four :unsure: )

Long after I began the diet, I had this really funky but very real, fear of bridges. I could only walk down a dock by holding someone's hand and I have been around boats, jumping on and off, all my life.

One day, I realized that those issues were gone. So there is hope and keep on doing what you're doing. I live a very normal life and do not feel deprived. Eating out can be a pain, but it's a small concession for feeling well. ;)

Good luck to you all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
One day, I realized that those issues were gone. So there is hope and keep on doing what you're doing. I live a very normal life and do not feel deprived. Eating out can be a pain, but it's a small concession for feeling well. ;)

Good luck to you all.

I could not agree with you more Lisa.

Archived