- - - - -

Baskin Robbins

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

I've read many places that Baskin Robbins is gluten-free for the most part, and that they have little signs right on the ice-cream choices that list their ingredients. However, I was there today and noticed that although some of their flavors listed "wheat", the other ones that I know for a fact must contain wheat were not labeled at all. For example, a flavor that included both malt and chopped up Whoppers candies was simply listed as "dairy, milk", no mention of wheat! It made me wonder how many other flavors are suspect and without proper ingredients warnings.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

Malt is barley and that is not wheat so it would not be labeled under wheat.
Molly

#3 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:38 PM

Barley is a no-no for Celiacs, though, and that's my objection...I think they should be more careful in their labeling, but unfortunately, they're more "allergy" alert than Celiac alert. But that's the case everywhere! Also, I've never read the ingredients on "Whoppers" candies, but I'm assuming it does contain glutenous ingredients.

#4 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

They get around it a lot of times by saying "gluten-free except for mix-ins". Thanks for nothing!
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:32 AM

Yes, Whoppers are glutenous. They have malted barley, wheat flour, malt syrup, artificial flavors, and modified food starch. The first two are definite no-nos, the other three raise red flags.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

yes i know that barley is bad for celiacs but i was saying that things containing barley would not be labeled as wheat because it is not wheat and all baskin robbins does label is wheat not gluten and all i was stating was that they would not be labeled together. even though baskin robbins labels things (and this goes for any place) you still have to be careful about what you eat and look at the ingredients and not just assume that because it says it doesn't contain wheat it still may they could have made mistakes or change the ingredients without changing the sign so don't assume.

P.S. my other thing is daisydday76
Molly

#7 Mom-Dude

Mom-Dude

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

Have any of you ever tried to request a gluten-free list from Baskin Robbins? I'm pretty new to this but I've inherited printed materials from other celiacs that included some lists that they got from companies...None from BR though. ARGH! I just took my son there today. :(
Lori

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: