This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dannon Response To Gluten Question

marciab

marciab Enthusiast

I posted this on the probiotics thread, but I didn't want anyone to miss this. And since yogurt is a good source, I wanted to share this info with all of you ...

I received this response from Dannon concerning Danactive and gluten -

Thank you for contacting The Dannon Company, Inc. We sincerely appreciate

your interest in Dannon yogurt products and gluten.

Dannon yogurt products are characterized as either gluten safe or not gluten

safe. Our Dannon Plain Lowfat, Plain Nonfat and Plain Natural are all

gluten safe. All other Dannon yogurts cannot be designated as gluten safe

because the natural flavor systems used might have ingredients added to

stabilize the flavor. The stabilizing ingredients may be derived from

gluten sources.

For our valued consumers that may have allergenic risks associated with

gluten, our products are not specifically formulated to contain gluten but

we cannot guarantee that the alcohol portion of the natural flavor system is

always derived from corn and not from oats, rye and barley.

We hope this information is helpful to you. As an additional resource, you

may wish to visit the website: www.celiac.com. Once again, thank you for

contacting Dannon.

Sincerely,

Lisa Moore

Consumer Service Representative

Ref#:739188N

Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

minibabe Contributor

Thank you :)

VydorScope Proficient

"gluten safe"?!? BAH, why make up new names for it?

Turtle Enthusiast

Thanks so much. I have continued to look into this and I have found two different responses on their website....

The first one says:

Q: Is Dannon yogurt gluten free?

A: We no longer use the term gluten free with respect to our yogurts. Instead we separate our products into gluten safe or not gluten safe categories, depending on the specific brand of Dannon yogurt. DANNON Plain yogurts (Lowfat, Nonfat and Natural) are all gluten safe. However, all other Dannon yogurts cannot be designated as gluten safe because the natural flavor systems used might have ingredients added to stabilize the flavor. The stabilizing ingredients may be derived from gluten sources. Consumers may also wish to visit the following Web site: www.celiac.com.

Q: Is DanActive gluten free or gluten safe?

A: DanActive Plain is gluten safe.

The second one says (this one came from a brochure they have on their website):

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, oats, rye and barley. DANNON yogurt products are not formulated to contain gluten, but they cannot be considered gluten free. This is because the natural flavor system used might have ingredients used to stabilize the flavor. These ingredients can be derived from gluten sources. Since there is a current lack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to gluten and there are no accurate tests to detect the presence and amount of gluten, DANNON'S prodcuts cannnot be classified as "gluten free".

SOOOOO confusing these companies can be.....AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Moongirl Community Regular

thats really annoying, basically they dont want to say in plain english, is that their yogurts are not gluten-free!!!

Mahee34 Enthusiast

well it isn't that their yogourts aren't gluten free.......it seems like they just want to save their tails just in case someone has a reaction. they have this new activia stuff that is supposed to help your digestive system that i was looking forward to trying and now i'm kinda nervous to....

penguin Community Regular
well it isn't that their yogourts aren't gluten free.......it seems like they just want to save their tails just in case someone has a reaction. they have this new activia stuff that is supposed to help your digestive system that i was looking forward to trying and now i'm kinda nervous to....

The whole activa thing is just new packaging for what yogurt already has naturally, live cultures.

Cascade Fresh Active8 yogurt is basically the same thing, and it says gluten free on the package. I get mine at whole foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mahee34 Enthusiast

so you're saying i should jump into the activia? how does it make you feel? can you notice a difference like they say you will?

penguin Community Regular
so you're saying i should jump into the activia? how does it make you feel? can you notice a difference like they say you will?

Don't eat the dannon crap since they're giving you the runaround about the gluten thing.

Cascade Fresh is the brand I eat, and their website explains what all of their cultures do, and also where to get it. They have 8 cultures which is 2 more than most.

EDIT: I forgot the most important part, it says gluten free right on the label!

Open Original Shared Link

I've also noticed that some mainstream yogurts are adding inulin to yogurt for fiber, and I've seen it on forbidden foods lists. For example, stonyfield farms has it in their yogurt.

My mom has always told me to eat yogurt whenever I have stomach problems. That said, I've eaten a lot of yogurt over the last 3 or so years :rolleyes:

I do notice that the D kind of settles a bit when I'm good about eating yogurt, so I think it does help. At any rate, it's good for you because it gives you more calcium :)

lovegrov Collaborator

First, I am absolutely NOT advising anybody to eat Dannon. We should give our business to a company willing to be more upfront.

Reality is, though, that this comes down once again to the distilled alcohol thing (same with Stoneyfield Farm). Dannon yogurt is almost certainly gluten-free, but I'll spend my money elsewhere.

richard

minibabe Contributor

If anyone likes fruit......good recipie

Take any yogurt flavor that you like (just one) and mix it with one of the tups of cool whip......it makes for a great fruit dip. It just spices things up a little bit :)

Amanda NY

• 1 year later...
reedrage Newbie

Both Dannon Activa and Stonyfield farms cause the same problems for me as any other wheat product. I couldn't figure it out because there was nothing on the label that was on the forbidden foods list. I guess it just depends on how sensitive you are to certain things. Good luck!

dally099 Contributor
Both Dannon Activa and Stonyfield farms cause the same problems for me as any other wheat product. I couldn't figure it out because there was nothing on the label that was on the forbidden foods list. I guess it just depends on how sensitive you are to certain things. Good luck!

hi there, i eat yogurt from the healthfood store and im fine, i eat dannon activa for b-fast i go to the can all morning, so you tell me? i no longer eat it. i also tend to not purchase from companies that give me the runaround when it comes to what is in their products. good luck ;)

pedro Explorer

Hi Thank You very much

Best regards

candi1008 Rookie
I posted this on the probiotics thread, but I didn't want anyone to miss this. And since yogurt is a good source, I wanted to share this info with all of you ...

gluten sources.

contacting Dannon.

Sincerely,

Lisa Moore

Marcia

Thank you...I went gluten free a week ago, but have been eating Dannon Natural vanilla, almost everyday....Is it true that Yoplait yogurt is for sure gluten free? I love vanilla yogurt, and need to be sure that it is gluten free.

wowzer Community Regular

Gluten safe, can't believe that one. I remember someone posting that Activa yogurt wasn't gluten free. I have read posts that Yoplait is gluten free. There french vanilla is yummy. They also have an orange one that tastes like a creamsicle.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thank you...I went gluten free a week ago, but have been eating Dannon Natural vanilla, almost everyday....Is it true that Yoplait yogurt is for sure gluten free? I love vanilla yogurt, and need to be sure that it is gluten free.

I have used Yoplait with no problems, but I also live near a Wegmans, they lable thier yogurt gluten-free and I have never had an issue with CC with them. If you have a Wegmans near you (I beleive they are now in NJ also) they are a good choice also.

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Take any yogurt flavor that you like (just one) and mix it with one of the tups of cool whip......it makes for a great fruit dip. It just spices things up a little bit :)

Amanda NY

gotta add one my Aunt makes lol....

She takes 2 yogurts, 1cool whip , mix them together and put into ur gluten free crust (like made from the cinnamon crackers ) put into frig for 1 hour, then enjoy :) not for me tho I don't like yogurt :(

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Amanda NY

She takes 2 yogurts, 1cool whip , mix them together and put into ur gluten free crust (like made from the cinnamon crackers ) put into frig for 1 hour, then enjoy :) not for me tho I don't like yogurt :(

• 1 month later...
mouth Enthusiast

gluten sources.

contacting Dannon.

Sincerely,

Lisa Moore

Marcia

OMG i think i may be glutening my daughter. they told me the flavored ones one the phone were safe..

please email this to me!!!111

grantschoep Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much. I ate it for a long time and it didn't bother me. This was when I was very sensitive. However, I would switch. I do know that Yoplait states their's is gluten free. I don't like it as much as Dannon, but thats what I get now.

I really think it is jut the company doing a typical CYA statement(cover your a...) Lots of companies do this, its annoying, but I guess I can understand.

psawyer Proficient

"We cannot guarantee" is a classic CYA disclaimer. It they buy anything from a third party, without actually testing it themselves, then of course they "cannot guarantee" anything.

The reference to the "alcohol portion of the natural flavor system" is, in my opinion, another CYA issue. It is generally accepted by celiac experts that alcohol is gluten-free as a result of the distillation that takes place in the production of the alcohol. Further, the amount of alcohol remaining in the extracted product which is then used to produce the flavor is so small that no detectable gluten would be present in the final product.

My opinion. Yours may vary.

mouth Enthusiast
Gluten safe, can't believe that one. I remember someone posting that Activa yogurt wasn't gluten free. I have read posts that Yoplait is gluten free. There french vanilla is yummy. They also have an orange one that tastes like a creamsicle.

tyvm lynn

mouth Enthusiast
OMG i think i may be glutening my daughter. they told me the flavored ones one the phone were safe..

please email this to me!!!111

tyvm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

lynn

mouth Enthusiast

TYVM both of you.. I just sent on your recipes to my ROCK group.,

lynn

Archived