This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Raised Alkaline Phosphatase

PghBOB

PghBOB Newbie

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE RAISED ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE. EVERY TIME TESTED FOR LAST 15 MONTHS LEVEL IS ELEVATED [128]. HAVE BEEN CHECKED FOR HEPATITIS, HAD ULTRASOUND OF LIVER ALL OK. I'VE BEEN gluten-free FOR 9 MONTHS AND I DON'T FEEL ANY BETTER, I KNOW IT TAKES TIME BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD SEE IMPROVEMENT BY NOW.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

See following. I goofed on my edit.

trents Grand Master
ANYBODY ELSE HAVE RAISED ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE. EVERY TIME TESTED FOR LAST 15 MONTHS LEVEL IS ELEVATED [128]. HAVE BEEN CHECKED FOR HEPATITIS, HAD ULTRASOUND OF LIVER ALL OK. I'VE BEEN gluten-free FOR 9 MONTHS AND I DON'T FEEL ANY BETTER, I KNOW IT TAKES TIME BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD SEE IMPROVEMENT BY NOW.

My liver enzymes were moderately high for years before Celiac diagnosis but they returned to normal within three or four months of going gluten free. What hasn't returned to normal in the two years since going gluten free is my albumin/total protein. That puzzles me. Makes me wonder if some liver damage was done by all those years of being stressed. Or, maybe its not only the gut that has to heal but the liver also and that may take longer.

Are you pretty sure of your compliance level in being gluten free?

What about other food intolerances and leaky gut syndrome? From what I've been reading on this forum, the leaky gut issue may not ever disappear entirely, even after going gluten free.

Are you on any statin drugs for cholestol or on acetamenophen for pain regularly?

PghBOB Newbie
My liver enzymes were moderately high for years before Celiac diagnosis but they returned to normal within three or four months of going gluten free. What hasn't returned to normal in the two years since going gluten free is my albumin/total protein. That puzzles me. Makes me wonder if some liver damage was done by all those years of being stressed. Or, maybe its not only the gut that has to heal but the liver also and that may take longer.

Are you pretty sure of your compliance level in being gluten free?

What about other food intolerances and leaky gut syndrome? From what I've been reading on this forum, the leaky gut issue may not ever disappear entirely, even after going gluten free.

Are you on any statin drugs for cholestol or on acetamenophen for pain regularly?

MY ALBUMIN = 4.5 AND TOTAL PROTEIN = 7.O I DON'T THINK ETHER OF THOSE ARE HIGH. DOC DOES NOT THINK ELEVATED ALKALINE PHOSPHASE IS FROM BONE OR LIVER. IF NOT WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS CONDITION ? I'VE BEEN TOTALY COMPLIANT WITH gluten-free DIET. ONLY DRUGS I TAKE ARE PRILOSEC OTC AND CENTRUIM MULTI-VITS, I DID EAT ACETAMENAPHEN LIKE CANDY FOR TENDONITIS BUT QUIT 15 MONTHS AGO.

de caps Contributor

]I had a very high alk phos for two years before a diagnosis of celiac disease was made. I also have a history of melanoma so my primary doctor thought I might have bone mets. The first oncologist didn't feel it was related to the melanoma and dismissed the whole thing. My primary doctor then blamed it on breast feeding. After I was done breast feeding it was still elevated in the 400 range. I was feeling pretty bad, bone pain, edema in both legs , weight loss and extreme fatigue. I went to a second and more thorough oncologist who did a very very good work up. He said my alk phos was off the wall due to a vit D deficiency and low calcium all due to celiac disease. My bones were working overtime to compensate for my unknown malnutrition. I was also found to have severe osteoporosis. After following a gluten free diet and taking lots of vit D and Calcium in three months time my blood work is almost normal after being off the wall for over two years.

Good luck, I hope my story helps you.

Donna

Archived