2 replies to this topic

#1 MIddings

MIddings

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:53 PM

:huh: I live in wheat country. My husband and my BIL have both asked me if wheat dust in the air might affect celiacs. Being new to this stuff, I am wondering too, since I am new to being celiac. I am think especially during wheat harvest.....can this have an adverse effect on me being a celiac?? Does anybody know? Marsha

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

The gluten particle is very small and it is certainly possible for a Celiac to get sick from the wheat dust flying around in the air. Last year I spoke with a woman who couldn't figure out why she was still having symptoms. It ended up that it was from the wheat dust from the hay when she was feeding her horses! She got a high quality dust mast to wear and started feeling much better.

I hope that is doesn't become a huge problem for you. It isn't like you could pack up and move just because you have Celiac! But if you remain symptomatic then it is probably the gluten you are inhaling. It is certainly enough to cause damage to your intestines. I would try to avoid going near the fields during the harvest.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:41 AM

I fully agree with Mariann. When I work on sanding paint, if I do not use a mask, I can taste the paint. It stands to reason that what dust settles in the mouth, WILL end up getting digested. I highly recommend buying a good mask with replaceable filters.

Also consider the dust that might settle in your kitchen area, and touching surfaces that are covered with wheat dust. You may want to wipe the counters with a damp cloth, and wash your hands before preparing yourself a meal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: