This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ulcerations In Small Intestine

Guest greengirl

Guest greengirl

I swallowed the camera capsule last week and just got the results. There are ulcerations in my small intestine, which the doctor said could indicate Crohn's disease. My bloodwork was negative for Celiac and the biopsy showed inflammation but the doctor didn't mention anything about the villi.

The thing is, about a month ago I started a gluten free diet on my own, based on the research I've done on Celiac and I noticed an improvement immediately. My persistent abdominal pain went away and I started to have normal bms, which is highly unusual for me! I have had a few bad episodes of diarrhea since going gluten free, but I attributed this to accidental ingestion of gluten (one happened immediately after eating out) or milk which I can't seem to tolerate, either.

My question is whether any of you have ulcerations with just Celiac alone? I see many things about intestinal ulcers with Crohn's but haven't typically seen this on the medical sites for Celiac. I'm thinking that since many people diagnosed with Celiac by blood test or biopsy wouldn't have had the camera endoscopy, they may not be aware of any ulcerations -mine weren't seen in the EGD/biopsy or small bowel follow-through. Or maybe I have both Celiac and Crohn's. Hope not!

The doctor has more tests ordered and I'm waiting on results from Enterolab, so hopefully answers will be forthcoming! I'm just trying to gather information while I wait!

Christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

The gluten free diet will help put Crohn's disease into remission. So if you have chron's, then maybe that is why you felt better on the gluten-free diet. I've read many success stories of people with chron's disease who eliminated grains, dairy, and starchy foods. You can read some of these storeis here:

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I swallowed the camera capsule last week and just got the results. There are ulcerations in my small intestine, which the doctor said could indicate Crohn's disease. My bloodwork was negative for Celiac and the biopsy showed inflammation but the doctor didn't mention anything about the villi.

The thing is, about a month ago I started a gluten free diet on my own, based on the research I've done on Celiac and I noticed an improvement immediately. My persistent abdominal pain went away and I started to have normal bms, which is highly unusual for me! I have had a few bad episodes of diarrhea since going gluten free, but I attributed this to accidental ingestion of gluten (one happened immediately after eating out) or milk which I can't seem to tolerate, either.

My question is whether any of you have ulcerations with just Celiac alone? I see many things about intestinal ulcers with Crohn's but haven't typically seen this on the medical sites for Celiac. I'm thinking that since many people diagnosed with Celiac by blood test or biopsy wouldn't have had the camera endoscopy, they may not be aware of any ulcerations -mine weren't seen in the EGD/biopsy or small bowel follow-through. Or maybe I have both Celiac and Crohn's. Hope not!

The doctor has more tests ordered and I'm waiting on results from Enterolab, so hopefully answers will be forthcoming! I'm just trying to gather information while I wait!

Christine

My DD only GI symptom was ulcers. She would vomit regularly and almost always had stomach pain but no D. When they did the endo they found ulcers and fortunately went ahead and did biopsies rather than the doctor just going ah ha she has ulcers. The biopsies showed celiac related changes that would not have been know without them. If the gluten-free diet helps and it sure sounds like it does stay with it no matter what the blood tests showed. If I listened to blood test results I would still be sick, I never showed positive.

debmidge Rising Star

My husband was found to have a duodunal ulcer due to misdignosed celiac for about 26 years. I don't know if the duodunum (forgive my spelling) is small intestine area-I think it is. Found during endoscopy after being gluten-free for 13 months. It was still hanging around, but Dr. said it was in final stages of healing.

penguin Community Regular
My husband was found to have a duodunal ulcer due to misdignosed celiac for about 26 years. I don't know if the duodunum (forgive my spelling) is small intestine area-I think it is. Found during endoscopy after being gluten-free for 13 months. It was still hanging around, but Dr. said it was in final stages of healing.

FYI

The duodenum is part of the small intestine, and that is where the majority of actual digestion takes place.

Archived