Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bloating

6 posts in this topic

I am pretty thin, but after I eat anything I just bloat right up. Lately I have been having a lot of abd. pain too. I have been gluten-free for less than two weeks with several accidents, and in fact my lipstick could even have gluten in it, I need to get even stricter with this I know, but I am just starting out, and giving up bread and pasta and cake was a pretty big deal. I just wonder what others have experienced specifically with bloating. How long did it take for you not to bloat anymore or do some of you still bloat? Not only does it feel icky, but it is starting to give me a body image complex. Like I need THAT right now! I do think it has gotten worse for me since going back on birth control. Have any of you celiac ladies had this happen? I am thinking about going off of the BC, but then I may have an even more serious reason for my tummy to be big :blink: . This is starting to get me down, as I really feel like I am hardly eating anything. I get hungry a lot, and I eat but it's like it's not enough, yet I get bloated with the first bite it seems. Please help.

Ads by Google:

Karina,

I know exactly how you feel unfortunately I have some bad news. I have been gluten free for 7 years and my stomach is still bloated all the time! I was actually going to go see my GI to see what's up. It's getting a bit much now, maybe I'm accidently ingesting gluten and not having a reaction?? I don't know I am so confused with that too. I too have crazy craving it seems like I am always hungry, that's getting pretty annoying in itself!! Hope you have better luck with the bloating than I have!! :rolleyes:

:blink: I have been gluten-free for about a month now. I used to have frequent episodes of bloating and pain. The last episode before I went gluten-free was so severe I couldn't sit up or stand up without severe abdominal pain. That was the last straw for me. Since going gluten free, the only time I have bloated bad was when I accidentally got gluten and yesterday with my period. For some reason, I just blew up after dinner last night and it was a combination of cramps and bloating gas/pain. I took two anti gass tablets and laid on the massager and it finally let up. Then I took my muscle relaxant and was able to sleep through the night. This morning the cramping was as bad as labor pain, but I was able to get a handle on it with Tylenol. But to make a long story short except for my period, I only bloat and gas up when I get gluten now. I hope that doesn't change except for my period....I'd like to not do it then either. :(

It sounds to me like maybe you are hit and miss with being gluten free. If you have developed food allergies while being celiac, you may still have those food allergies and don't know it. It could very well be an allergic reaction to something you are eating. I would suggest keeping a food diary. Write down everything you eat and the time you ate it as well as any symptoms you get and what time the onset was. After about 2 weeks of this, go back through your diary and see if there is any coralation (I know I spelled that wrong) between what you have eaten and the onset of gas/bloating. If there seems to be a pattern, try eliminating the food that looks suspicious for a week and see if symptoms let up.

Good luck!

Marsha :)

I had the same thing my stomach was so bloated that nothing ever fit. When I was on BC I started swelling up everywhere and gained 30 pounds over a 1 1/2 years. I actually got off BC and went gluten-free at the same time. Now I am back to my normal weight and I only am bloated when eat gluten. Look on this forum and there is a list of gluten-free foods like a shopping list with products. I love that list I take it with me and shop and make sure I buy food on the list. Quit eating out for a month and see if it helps also milk products could cause bloating too. Have you checked you pills sometime they may contain gluten. I know it seems hard right now but it gets easier and better. I have only been gluten-free for 5 months or so and I feel great! I am not 100% but I feel tons better. I still have accidents but I try to only eat foods that I have prepared I think it is important in the beginnings so you can heal faster.

I know it is hard for you but keep it up. To answer your question I think it took me about 1 month of being totally gluten-free to really start noticeing a difference.

Kayla

The order in which you eat a meal can create gas. Sugary foods such as fruits, carrots, beets, etc., are best eaten first because the body goes after the sugars first for the energy. It

Thanks for the replies. Thomas I had never heard of that I will have to give that a try. Kay Jay, I am on the BC patch, so I know gluten is not a problem there. It has made me gain weight, which at first I was excited about--I'll take it any way I can get it :P . I have been more vigilient the past few days, and have felt better over all, but I eat dairy, and I know this could be a problem at least for a little while, although I bloated even on a day when I had NO dairy :( . I think I will give the diet some time (the TRUE diet), and see about other allergies before I stop the patch. It just takes a while to get these things figured out I guess.