3 replies to this topic

#1 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:21 PM

Hey guys-I'm kinda new at this (gluten-free for a year now)-I am getting ready to move to Denver to race for a mountain bike team out there and I need RELIABLY gluten free meals/snacks to take with me to races. So far I've been living off turkey sandwiches, but the thought of eating those all summer makes me lose my appetite. I seem to be sensitive to most "gluten-free" cereals on the market-I'm trying to stick to stuff from dedicated facilities right now (I can't race, much less even look at my bike for at least a week after having reactions, and it makes me nervous to eat stuff I'm unsure about). I need loads of energy (who doesn't though, right?), but I'm getting frustrated trying to find stuff that I can pack on longer trips and weekend hotel stays. Any suggestions? <_<
Eat, drink, and be merry!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 midnightlullaby

midnightlullaby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:50 AM

Hey, I'm a biker too. I pack a lot of food bars around with me. At trader joes here and some other health food stores they have bars called "vegan" that are gluten-free and I live off them. Here's the gluten-free bars they have posted here:
Dr. Atkins - Diet Bars
Essential Bars - Chocolate and the Fruit and Yogurt
Gary Null & Assoc. - Fruit and Fiber Energy Bar
Granola Bars from Trader Joe's
NuBasics - Complete Nutrition Bar and the Mocha Berry
I think there's some speciality gluten-free companies that sell bars too. That's what I'd recomend for fast food. Good luck with your race!!

#3 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:10 AM

Hi Natorious,

You might consider getting a backpacking stove to have with you all the time to cook meals (I use a Nova multi-fuel stove). Also a hot plate for inside the hotel rooms. MSR makes some really good stainless pots, pans, bowls, and plates. Stainless is the best for people with celiac disease, because if you accidentally make a mistake and cook some gluten, you do not have to throw out the pan, because it is non-porous. Do NOT use non-stick Teflon.

Brown rice (do not use instant) is a great energy food. It metabolizes slowly for even energy, and sticks with you for a long time. Combine it with some sardines or canned salmon (I use no salt added), canned vegetables (I use no salt added), and some fruit for a travel meal. This is food for NON-refrigeration travel. If you can travel with refrigeration you can use fresh foods instead of canned (it’s cheaper).

P.S. Midnightlulluby’s suggestion is a good one, but you have to remember that up to 20 percent of the processed foods out there called “gluten free,” contain measurable amounts of gluten. Processed gluten free foods are a crap shoot (you might be shooting crap if you eat them).

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:10 AM

I'm borderline hypoglycemic, and am away from home often enough, that I was running into this problem on occasion. I pack lots of homemade trail mix (fruits and nuts! good energy source), but just this past weekend got myself a dehydrator so I can make my own "bar food". I got smacked with contamination too many times, so I'm making it all at home from now on.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: