This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Chewing Gum Speeds Healing

Claire

Claire Collaborator

Lots of internet material and conflicting opinions on this subject. While the article is primarily addressing this issue as it relates to post surgical situations - the prinicpal - i.e. activating digestive system - is valid for celiacs and others with GI symptoms. Watch for gluten and aspartame in gum. Claire

CHEWING GUM SPEEDS HEALING

Chewing stimulates nerves that promote the release of hormones responsible for activating the gastrointestinal system, wrote study author Rob Schuster of Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in California.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

Interesting article ... I'm game. I'll try it. What kind of gum do you recommend though ?

Did you see this part -

Seventeen of 34 patients who chewed gum beginning a few hours after surgery passed gas several hours sooner than the half who did not chew, and they had their first bowel movements an average of 63 hours after surgery compared with 89 hours for non-chewers.

How will we keep stats on who passes gas first ? ROFL

Seriously, though, I will participate ...

Marcia

Claire Collaborator

As I said, there is a lot of discussion about this floating in cyberspace. You may want to check it out.

I think that it is the chewing rather than the gum itself that stimulates the saliva that 'hurries' things up. In that case SugarFree gum would be just as good as any other. I did not read up on that. Just be sure to check that whatever gum you use is gluten-free - also no aspartame if you don't like that stuff. Claire

ebrbetty Rising Star

I used to chew gum all the time, had to stop because it was giving me more gas and pains

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't chew gum anymore either :angry: .

Guest Robbin

When I had my tonsils out at age 14 (I'm now 45), my wonderful family dr., an old-fashioned, learned D.O. had me chew gum after my surgery for a couple of weeks. I wonder if this was known as a helpful aid in general healing years ago and is being touted as "new info" or if he had me chew gum for another reason. I have cracking enamel and sensitive teeth or I would try some now. Those of you who try this, keep us posted. Sounds plausible. :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Wow, that's really interesting!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast
Lots of internet material and conflicting opinions on this subject. While the article is primarily addressing this issue as it relates to post surgical situations - the prinicpal - i.e. activating digestive system - is valid for celiacs and others with GI symptoms. Watch for gluten and aspartame in gum. Claire

CHEWING GUM SPEEDS HEALING

Chewing stimulates nerves that promote the release of hormones responsible for activating the gastrointestinal system, wrote study author Rob Schuster of Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in California.

I heard about it on the news. The doc on the tv show was saying that you are to chew sugar-free gum. And the reason that it works is the manatol, or sorbitol, or aspertame, that will speed the digestive system. This is not a new theory. There are a lot of people who get bad diarrhea when they have too much suger free gum. The artifical sweetners are like a laxative. Specifically, when it comes to abdominal surgery, this has been recomended to jump start the bowel movements since you can't be released from the hospital until you have bowel sounds (or gas moving normally). That was one way that I was diagnosed with Celiac. When I passed out after eating a bowl of pasta a week in to being gluten-free ( I cheated, I was ticked off and missed my pasta). In the ER the doc couldn't hear any bowel sounds and said that my intestines had shut down. Since I started throwing up after that, it was clear that my intestines were rejecting the gluten-filled food. It wouldn't go down, so it came back up (sorry if that is too graphic).

Claire Collaborator

Good stuff. Keep talking! Claire

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Slightly off topic here - What is the white dusty stuff on the "old fashioned" gum? By that I mean soft gum, not the chiclety kind that everyone makes (so I can't find the good soft cinnamon dentyne anymore). I know that Dentyne, Trident and Wrigley's are all supposed to be gluten-free, so what's that dust made of?

penguin Community Regular
Slightly off topic here - What is the white dusty stuff on the "old fashioned" gum? By that I mean soft gum, not the chiclety kind that everyone makes (so I can't find the good soft cinnamon dentyne anymore). I know that Dentyne, Trident and Wrigley's are all supposed to be gluten-free, so what's that dust made of?

I would assume it's cornstarch

• 1 month later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Interseting article and web site linked to it, really makes you think.

They gave me peppermint tea and gum to chew when I had gas pains following my hysterectomy.

I'm a gum chewer (opps that doesn't sound very feminine) I feel it aids in my digestion. :D

natalunia Rookie

2boys4me, Orbit makes a cinnamon gum that is nearly identical to the old soft cinnamon Dentyne. I know, my mom and I have been chewing the old Dentyne, and switched to Orbit about 6 months ago. It's just as good. I believe I read somewhere the powdery white stuff is not a gluten product. I want to say I read it was cornstarch or something else benign.

Stardust Valerie Newbie

Hello,

I was just on the Wrigley site and they say that the dusty stuff on regular gum is sugar and on the sugar free it is a aspertame.

Open Original Shared Link It doesn't say it where I'm looking on their web iste, but on the outside of the label it is made with SOY in it too.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hello,

I was just on the Wrigley site and they say that the dusty stuff on regular gum is sugar and on the sugar free it is a aspertame.

That makes sense, because I remember it being sweet, and when I was little, I would lick the tin-foil-like wrapper because the powder was yummy!

I can't chew gum anymore either :angry: .

Diagnosed Celiac--June 2005

Other intolerances--

Dairy

Soy

Corn

Tapioca

Coconut

Eggs

Guess what?

I found out why.... gum has SOY in it. I'm so upset now I have to shop around for soy free gum!

I wrote to Wrigley and this is their reply:

Thank you for contacting us about the use of lecithin in our products.

You may be interested to know that lecithin is a soy based ingredient

that occurs naturally in soybeans. It is an emulsifier that helps to

improve compatibility with oil and water. We use lecithin in our

products to improve flavor release and the overall texture of our gums. Of

course, each and every ingredient used in Wrigley products is in full

compliance with local food and health regulations.

We hope this information has been helpful and thanks again for

contacting the Wrigley Company.

Sincerely,

Melissa Griffin

Consumer Affairs Representative PR@wrigley.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What really get to me with these companies is they pretend this garbage is "GOOD" for us using their words and saying thing like "....lecithin is a soy based ingredient that occurs naturally in soybeans."

SOY is one of eight major BAD food allergens they are pumping in our food.

For your review I've added it below...

Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004

(Title II of Public Law 108-282)

(2)

(A) eight major foods or food groups--milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans-- account for 90 percent of food allergies;

(B) at present, there is no cure for food allergies; and

© a food allergic consumer must avoid the food to which the consumer is allergic;

Archived