Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Very thought provoking! I remember the days when I could go completely nuts with my temper. At the time that I was totally losing it in speech and actions, I would think "why am I doing this and stop it". But, I could not stop it until the episode was over. I would not hit people but would break things when I was at my worst. Those days are now gone since I have been gluten free.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#3 zakismom

zakismom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

Me too!- At one point I was told by my manager that I was scaring the new person. (I was also scaring myself.) I also wonder everytime I look at a show where thay are feeding inmates, soldiers or the homeless what effect of those two pieces af white bread that everyone gets has on them, physically and mentally. Do you think we'll ever see the day when gluten free becomes the norm?
diagnosed 1/04 endoscopy; gluten-free ever since!

#4 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:33 AM

it really is true. My husband and I were talking the other day about how people are unhealthy and overweight and depressed all the time now, and most of them eat gluten for breakfast lunch and dinner.

You can tell when my girls get glutened, the first thing that happens to them is emotional symptoms, they are like different kids all together.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

What a good article, Claire. I know that gluten affects my mind. Now I can look back and see it clearly. I had panic attacks, depression, anxiety and paranoia. I functioned ok on the surface, but was continualy struggling with myself. Thank you for always posting such useful information :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 thomas3000

thomas3000

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

Awesome article!! This needs to reach mainstream medicine, In my lifetime hopefully. I'm having problems with people I know trying to get me to eat gluten again..Why are they doing that? It's pissing me off and have decided not to be friends with them anymore..I'm running out of friends and don't know what to do. I guess that they don't want me to be healthy or they want to feel better about themselves. Who knows.

#7 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

Awesome article!! This needs to reach mainstream medicine, In my lifetime hopefully. I'm having problems with people I know trying to get me to eat gluten again..Why are they doing that? It's pissing me off and have decided not to be friends with them anymore..I'm running out of friends and don't know what to do. I guess that they don't want me to be healthy or they want to feel better about themselves. Who knows.

Hi Thomas -

Friends are hard to come by. They probably are just ignorant rather than deliberatlely trying to hurt you.
You need to say to them what you have written here - that your health is important to you - that gluten endangers your health and predisposes you to serious, often irreversible, conditions. Tell them you would just like them to drop the subject - in the interest of retaining friendship. If all that doesn't work, then you need to find some new friends. Find a Celiac Support Group - where everyone knows the score. Claire

#8 shellhoo

shellhoo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

That article is soo true. I am soo much more calm and easier to live with now that i am gluten free. I used to be hot headed and fly off the handle a lot. My mind is much more clear now. Now, I find that I am just soo much more patient. Soo, being gluten free does have it's benefits! :D

#9 Guest_stef 4 dogs_*

Guest_stef 4 dogs_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:37 AM

That article is soo true. I am soo much more calm and easier to live with now that i am gluten free. I used to be hot headed and fly off the handle a lot. My mind is much more clear now. Now, I find that I am just soo much more patient. Soo, being gluten free does have it's benefits! :D

Because it took so long to find out that I had Celiac, I ruined many relationships with my fly off the handle temper! I could not understand it but couldn't stop it either. My reactions to things seemed almost manic: Very very high or very very low. I could not stand to be around myself, At one point I thought I started menopause because me emotions were so irregular. Glad to say that part has subsided. When I get glutened, it starts all over again and a few days later it stops as quick as it came. Strange disease!

Stef 4 dogs

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:07 AM

Thought provoking letter - Claire
MENTAL LAWS OR MENTAL HEALTH

http://www.antiguasu...2006&ac=Opinion

Great Article. Thanks for posting it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 shellhoo

shellhoo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

Because it took so long to find out that I had Celiac, I ruined many relationships with my fly off the handle temper! I could not understand it but couldn't stop it either. My reactions to things seemed almost manic: Very very high or very very low. I could not stand to be around myself, At one point I thought I started menopause because me emotions were so irregular. Glad to say that part has subsided. When I get glutened, it starts all over again and a few days later it stops as quick as it came. Strange disease!

Stef 4 dogs

That is soo right that you said that you could not stand yourself, because I remember on one occasion I actually told my doctor those exact words!!!! She put me on depression meds back then. They didn't help too well.

#12 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

Stef 4 dogs

That's one of the first things I noticed (well, that DH noticed ;) ) I never had a temper until college, and then I would fly off the handle for no reason at all. I felt really out of control. Now I feel a lot more emotionally stable and normal. It's great! :D
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#13 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

Great Article!
I was the same way! Sometimes I wonder why my husband married me! I was diagnosed 3 months after we got married and was at my worst for that last 6 months. I threw fits, was depressed, panicky, and irrational. My husband is a quiet level headed guy, and really can't take drama. He has talked about the difference in me since the gluten-free diet, and agrees I'm much much more stable now. It's funny, because if food is ever in question he is the first to stand up (even before me) and say "SHE CAN'T HAVE THAT!!" :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: