This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Broth

elfkin

elfkin Contributor

I have been ordering bouillon from gluten-free Trading Co. Someone mentioned McCormicks on another post. Does anyone know if it is gluten-free? Someone told me when we first went gluten-free that broth (in the can) and bouillon were things you needed to buy specifically marked gluten-free. I don't know why and I don't know why I never questioned it before?! This was almost 2 years ago and I have been buying it from gluten-free Trading ever since. I was just wondering if national brands have a gluten-free version. I ran out and it will take awhile to order more. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Herb Ox is gluten-free, as is Kroger brand (if you have Kroger there).

richard

happygirl Collaborator

Some of the swanson broths are gluten free-I buy them at the regular grocery store!

Becky6 Enthusiast

I get swansons as well. I do know that Cub brand and Flavorite are not gluten-free!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

McCormick chicken cubes are gluten-free, I use them all the time. Imagine chicken broth is gluten-free too.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Some broths have gluten. One of Swanson's does - the organic one? I think they've got the list on their website.

I tend to use Imagine Chicken or Vegetable Broth or Rapunzel's Boullion, and I have checked thatthey are gluten free.

• 3 weeks later...
Cheri A Contributor

Where would the McCormicks boullon cubes be? I've been looking for that and Herb Ox cubes the last few times at the store and can't find them...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

Herb Ox is gluten free. I don't have any problems with it.

chrissy Collaborator

does anyone know if wyler's is ok?

christine

floridanative Community Regular

I think wyler's was the one who told me it had gluten in it but since I threw it out, I could be mistaken. Campbell's will send you the list of all their gluten-free products - they own Swanson which I never knew before I went gluten-free. I think Tiffany is correct that their organic broth may be the one with gluten but I'm not certain. I get their canned reg. chicken stock (99% fat free on label) and that for sure is gluten free.

Now I have a question about cream of mushroom soup. Progresso has one that is gluten free but I realize now that's it's not condensed...what I'm looking for is a condensed version of the soup for casseroles. Only for the holidays really but I need to figure this out during my slow time of year which is not the holidays. Does anyone know how I'd reduce a non condensed soup to be thicker?

Idahogirl Apprentice

I add cornstarch to make it thicker.

I am also curious about Wyler's bullion, we have jars of chicken and beef in the fridge. I think they have some ingredients that are suspect, but not obvious.

Lisa

elonwy Enthusiast

Knorrs bullion is gluten free, I use Imagine chicken broth.

Elonwy

happygirl Collaborator

floridanative-i use the progresso creamy mushroom soup for casseroles. I heat it on the stove, and add some gluten-free flour mix to thicken it. My mom made the green bean casserole with it and everyone loved it....she actually thought it was better and is going to make it that way from now on!!! It works wonderfully for casseroles!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

tarnalberry -- I alway learn things from you. Thanx...

Do you know if these veggie broth have SOY in them. I have a major problem with SOY and so do many of is Celiac's with thyroid problems here.

Anyone here have a problem with MSG too?

floridanative Community Regular

Laura and Idahogirl - thanks for the soup thickening tips. Never cooking except during the holidays, I struggle with the simplest things in the kitchen. I am starting to really enjoy cooking finally 6 weeks in. I'm going to make a green bean casserole this week with some italian green beans that I'm crazy about. No more canned green beans for my casseroles. I'm using Funyuns for the onions. Someone else shared that trick with me. I'm not ready to try and fry my own onions quite yet.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
tarnalberry -- I alway learn things from you. Thanx...

Do you know if these veggie broth have SOY in them. I have a major problem with SOY and so do many of is Celiac's with thyroid problems here.

Anyone here have a problem with MSG too?

MSG just makes me terribly, terribly thirsty.

Ms. Sillyak, what symptoms do you notice when you've been "soyed?" I have Hashimoto's, and I've never noticed problems with soy, but I guess I should be on the lookout!

Thanks,

Fujifiddle

It has taken me a few years to put the SOY -- thyoid connection together.

I'm a real diva with make up and hair. My hair is long almost to my waist, and style it like the little icon picture. My hair falls out in gobs when I eat soy. I don't have steatorrhea diarrhea, or plain diarrhea just a stool that isn't firm and formed. And I have trouble sleeping.

I must say I really believe there is also a connection to my celiac disease to me stopping hormone replacement patch I wore for about 10 years. At a very young age I had a hysterectomy. It was at the same time when celiac disease grabbed a hold of me about 5 years ago. I went on a gluten, dairy free diet. One thing I have is will power so I can stick to things. I got better or so I thought. I watched every thing I put in my mouth. But I replaced SOY for milk. I have Silk milk with rice ceral every morning. Drank a few glasses a day. Made Silk milk smoothes with strawberries, blue berries blackberries and bannans, almost everyday. I ate tofo for lunch. Tofo sushi when I ate out. The package foods I ate had SOY tuna, dark chocolate bars had SOY. My vitamins had soy in them like the E and others. I noticed when I didn't eat SOY my hair didn't fall out and my stools were more normal.

I went through major stress -- stuff a normal human couldn't survive and would have flipped out. That's when I began getting sick again. Remember SOY was a big part of my diet. It felt like I had a motor running inside when I would lay down to go to sleep at night. When I would cry get emotional, or (argue with the super loser I was engaged to at the time) it felt like I had a lump in my throat. And when I was up set you could see it grow in front of your eyes. In no time I developed a hot nodule on my thyroid. At that time my steatorrhea diarrhea came back but it was with what I now know as night shade veggies. I get seizures from foods that don't agree with me, and I noticed they got worse. I went and had the radio active iodine treatment and it burned up my thyroid... and almost killed me. I'm on thyorid medication but I am no better then I was before the radio active iodine treatment. I believe it's because of the soy and stress.

A few wonderful friend here brought it to my attention the night shade veggie problem and the soy allergy. I did way with night shade veggies and now the soy. But SOY is in everything and they list it as things like 'veggie broth' or give it a different name that is hidden. I have been calling all the food manufactures in the last few weeking fighting with them for lying to us. SOY is the problem why I feel I developed the thyroid problem. Hope I'm not to long winded here and got off topic. I hope it helps Open Original Shared Link

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Link

this was a great link.

I haven't read it all but skimmed it.

I'm new to the 'soy' thing and esp. interested in the soy/thyroid connection.

I keep seeing reference to it here on the forum.

Is there any info out there on this connection?

Judy in Philly

Open Original Shared Link I hope this helps.

This is where it came from Open Original Shared Link

I'm thinking I should start a thread so our Celiac friends can learn how bad it is before they end up like us...

Open Original Shared Link

• 5 months later...
issima Newbie
I add cornstarch to make it thicker.

I am also curious about Wyler's bullion, we have jars of chicken and beef in the fridge. I think they have some ingredients that are suspect, but not obvious.

Lisa

I just got diagnosed recently, am now inspecting everything I had on my shelves. My Wyler's Chicken Bouillon cubes have wheat gluten right in the list of ingredients. The HerbOx are fine. I think Knorr are fine, too.

A lot of these things are not clear and since I never had the nastier symptoms many people have when they are exposed to even a small amount, I could ingest gluten without knowing it. It's really helpful to read these messages that tell me when people react to things that seem innocent enough but could be affecting a lot of us without our knowing it!

Cheri A Contributor

I cannot find the McCormicks, Knorrs. I tried the Imagine Chicken Broth and thought it was gross. The Swansons seems to bother my daughter.

So now I make my own chicken stock once every month or so and freeze it flat in 1 or 2 cup portions. It's so much better than the store bought stuff. I'd be happy to share how I do it if anyone is interested...

kevsmom Contributor

Some stores place the bouillon cubes either in the soup aisle or with the gravy mixes. Herb Ox also makes a powdered bouillon that sprinkles on. I like to use that to season veggies, rice or gluten free pasta.

Cindy

• 1 year later...
Annamarie Newbie

I've not been diagnosed with Celiac but IBS. I can't eat anything with MSG or its derivative. I've read alot about gluten free products but when proteins are broken down or (processed) they become gluten like. I have a huge list of products I can't eat which includes all bouillon, broth and soup products. I go into a health food store and am amazed at how 'unhealthy' the food is. I have to eat natural foods only and have learned to spice up my food naturally and not with anything processed. Any comments?

• 1 year later...
dreamer-amh Newbie

I just got off the phone with swanson. Their chicken and vegetable broth is gluten-free. BUT The ORGANIC Chicken broth is not listed as gluten-free. The beef I done know about, because I don't use much and didn't ask. Hope this helps.

nickim Newbie

Progresso chicken, vegetable, and beef broths are gluten free. They come in the carton at the regular grocery store

Archived