33 replies to this topic

#16 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

tarnalberry -- I alway learn things from you. Thanx...

Do you know if these veggie broth have SOY in them. I have a major problem with SOY and so do many of is Celiac's with thyroid problems here.

Anyone here have a problem with MSG too?

MSG just makes me terribly, terribly thirsty.

Ms. Sillyak, what symptoms do you notice when you've been "soyed?" I have Hashimoto's, and I've never noticed problems with soy, but I guess I should be on the lookout!

Thanks,
Fujifiddle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

It has taken me a few years to put the SOY -- thyoid connection together.

I'm a real diva with make up and hair. My hair is long almost to my waist, and style it like the little icon picture. My hair falls out in gobs when I eat soy. I don't have steatorrhea diarrhea, or plain diarrhea just a stool that isn't firm and formed. And I have trouble sleeping.

I must say I really believe there is also a connection to my celiac disease to me stopping hormone replacement patch I wore for about 10 years. At a very young age I had a hysterectomy. It was at the same time when celiac disease grabbed a hold of me about 5 years ago. I went on a gluten, dairy free diet. One thing I have is will power so I can stick to things. I got better or so I thought. I watched every thing I put in my mouth. But I replaced SOY for milk. I have Silk milk with rice ceral every morning. Drank a few glasses a day. Made Silk milk smoothes with strawberries, blue berries blackberries and bannans, almost everyday. I ate tofo for lunch. Tofo sushi when I ate out. The package foods I ate had SOY tuna, dark chocolate bars had SOY. My vitamins had soy in them like the E and others. I noticed when I didn't eat SOY my hair didn't fall out and my stools were more normal.

I went through major stress -- stuff a normal human couldn't survive and would have flipped out. That's when I began getting sick again. Remember SOY was a big part of my diet. It felt like I had a motor running inside when I would lay down to go to sleep at night. When I would cry get emotional, or (argue with the super loser I was engaged to at the time) it felt like I had a lump in my throat. And when I was up set you could see it grow in front of your eyes. In no time I developed a hot nodule on my thyroid. At that time my steatorrhea diarrhea came back but it was with what I now know as night shade veggies. I get seizures from foods that don't agree with me, and I noticed they got worse. I went and had the radio active iodine treatment and it burned up my thyroid... and almost killed me. I'm on thyorid medication but I am no better then I was before the radio active iodine treatment. I believe it's because of the soy and stress.

A few wonderful friend here brought it to my attention the night shade veggie problem and the soy allergy. I did way with night shade veggies and now the soy. But SOY is in everything and they list it as things like 'veggie broth' or give it a different name that is hidden. I have been calling all the food manufactures in the last few weeking fighting with them for lying to us. SOY is the problem why I feel I developed the thyroid problem. Hope I'm not to long winded here and got off topic. I hope it helps I added a link about bad soy here.

#18 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

I added a link about bad soy here.

this was a great link.
I haven't read it all but skimmed it.
I'm new to the 'soy' thing and esp. interested in the soy/thyroid connection.
I keep seeing reference to it here on the forum.
Is there any info out there on this connection?
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#19 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:24 AM

www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm I hope this helps.

This is where it came from www.thyroid-info.com/index.htm

I'm thinking I should start a thread so our Celiac friends can learn how bad it is before they end up like us...

I put it here...

#20 issima

issima

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

I add cornstarch to make it thicker.

I am also curious about Wyler's bullion, we have jars of chicken and beef in the fridge. I think they have some ingredients that are suspect, but not obvious.

Lisa

I just got diagnosed recently, am now inspecting everything I had on my shelves. My Wyler's Chicken Bouillon cubes have wheat gluten right in the list of ingredients. The HerbOx are fine. I think Knorr are fine, too.

A lot of these things are not clear and since I never had the nastier symptoms many people have when they are exposed to even a small amount, I could ingest gluten without knowing it. It's really helpful to read these messages that tell me when people react to things that seem innocent enough but could be affecting a lot of us without our knowing it!

#21 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

I cannot find the McCormicks, Knorrs. I tried the Imagine Chicken Broth and thought it was gross. The Swansons seems to bother my daughter.

So now I make my own chicken stock once every month or so and freeze it flat in 1 or 2 cup portions. It's so much better than the store bought stuff. I'd be happy to share how I do it if anyone is interested...
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#22 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

Some stores place the bouillon cubes either in the soup aisle or with the gravy mixes. Herb Ox also makes a powdered bouillon that sprinkles on. I like to use that to season veggies, rice or gluten free pasta.
Cindy
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#23 Annamarie

Annamarie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

I've not been diagnosed with Celiac but IBS. I can't eat anything with MSG or its derivative. I've read alot about gluten free products but when proteins are broken down or (processed) they become gluten like. I have a huge list of products I can't eat which includes all bouillon, broth and soup products. I go into a health food store and am amazed at how 'unhealthy' the food is. I have to eat natural foods only and have learned to spice up my food naturally and not with anything processed. Any comments?

#24 dreamer_amh

dreamer_amh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

I just got off the phone with swanson. Their chicken and vegetable broth is gluten-free. BUT The ORGANIC Chicken broth is not listed as gluten-free. The beef I done know about, because I don't use much and didn't ask. Hope this helps.

#25 nickim

nickim

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

Progresso chicken, vegetable, and beef broths are gluten free. They come in the carton at the regular grocery store

#26 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Aurora bouillon cubes seem to all be gluten free. You can search all Aurora's products at their website and even though they don't list all ingredients, they do say if the product is gluten free.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#27 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Mazola has a chicken boullion. I called them and was told its gluten-free.

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

#28 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I called Knorr and they said they are NOT gluten-free.

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

#29 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I just got off the phone with swanson. Their chicken and vegetable broth is gluten-free. BUT The ORGANIC Chicken broth is not listed as gluten-free. The beef I done know about, because I don't use much and didn't ask. Hope this helps.

the link to swanson's list of gluten free items OMITS their canned beef broth!! I just got violently ill from eating lentil soup made with it, though my pocket guide from Columbia Med Ctr lists swanson's broth as gluten-free.

here is the link to the website:

http://www.campbells...ProductList.pdf

#30 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

the link to swanson's list of gluten free items OMITS their canned beef broth!! I just got violently ill from eating lentil soup made with it, though my pocket guide from Columbia Med Ctr lists swanson's broth as gluten-free.

here is the link to the website:

http://www.campbells...ProductList.pdf

Please note that you are responding to a post over two years old. Sometimes, well....always, it's best to rely on reading labels, rather than lists that may be out of date or product change.

Campbell US and Campbell Canada have two very distinctive gluten free listings. But they will always list gluten if present in their ingredients.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: