Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten-free Newbie

5 posts in this topic

Hi! I just discovered this site and am hoping to learn a lot from all of you. Although I haven't been tested for gluten Intolerance I am discovering on my own that I am better off physically if I stay away from these particular foods. I am 54yrs of age and have been suffering with degenerative disc disease in my upper spine (neck/shoulder) for many years. I've been in chronic pain until last summer when I began the South Beach Diet. During the 2 weeks that I did Phase 1 of the diet I suddenly was no longer in any pain! I was amazed! Then when I started Phase 2, which obviously, was adding back some gluten contained foods, my pain began once again. Up until recently it's been difficult for me to figure out what contained gluten and what didn't. I have no plan to get tested as I have lost faith in the medical profession and figure I am better off just taking my problem into my own hands and doing what I feel works rather than taking a bunch of prescription pain meds which don't work well to begin with. I've recently been to my local library where I found some useful information along with some interesting cookbooks. If any of you have a good gluten-free cookbook that you really like I would appreciate knowing about it. Looking forward to chatting here with you all :)

Linda from NJ

Ads by Google:

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you've found something that makes you feel better. You'll find a lot of useful advice - and recipes ;-) - on the board.

Hi Linda

welcome to the group. You will find and learn probably more than you ever wanted to know from this group.I am ever so grateful to find this group as I have learned tons of info. Smart group --- brighter than most doctors regarding celiacs!!!

I'm from Pa and just a tad older than you!!!!!

good luck

mamaw

Hi Linda,

Welcome. I just joined recently too, after finding out my brother had celiac's and discussing similarities in our symtoms, I went searching for answers my doctor wasn't able to provide, that is how I found this forum. I am in the process of being tested, and will then have my son tested as well. After that, we will all go gluten free as well, regardless. (I went gluten free for a week and started to feel a world of difference - I suffer from arthritis in my back as well, two lumbar vertibrea have already calcified - and I am only 41 :o )

You will find lots and lots of encouragement here, as well as a whole group of people who know exactly how you feel!

:DThank you all for your kind words and gracious welcome. It's so great to be able to correspond with others who have similar problems and have been gluten free for a while. Hopefully through these forums I may be able to keep a positive outlook on life :unsure:

Thanks again............Linda/NJ