28 replies to this topic

#16 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

I eat the Lite Kroger brand yogurt or the carb master, neither one because of trying to lose weight but they do not list any ingridents containing gluten that I see, I have not had a reaction yet and they are really good and cheap! 5 for $2.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

Probably costs 4 times my yearly income per ouce! :(

Well, it's not 5/$1 Kroger brand...

I pay about .69 for a container. Yoplait at HEB is like, .48 so it's not THAT big a difference. Esp. since it's got a lot more health benefit, about 4x in cultures alone! :ph34r:

I'm a poor non-profit worker and DH is a grad student, but we manage to afford it. But he eats yoplait, he can have gluten :P

You're paying for sugar and extra stabilizers in cheap yogurt...yuck ;)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#18 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

You're paying for sugar and extra stabilizers in cheap yogurt...yuck ;)

That's so true! If you spend a little bit more on higher quality food now, it will pay off big time for you in the long run. :)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#19 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

Is Yoplait safe to eat? I know you are saying it isn't as beneficial but I though it was all gluten-free? I always get sick after eating it so I don't eat it much but I do always try it.
gluten-free since 2004!

#20 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Well the cost realy does not matter, if I cant find it at the grocery store. :( Its major deal to hike out to Wild Oats, and theres realy no other health food place around. I guess I will just have ot examine each one, then come home and look up the gluten info. Was hoping not to have ot go through all that. heh. :(

Is Yoplait safe to eat? I know you are saying it isn't as beneficial but I though it was all gluten-free? I always get sick after eating it so I don't eat it much but I do always try it.

Yoplait is a General Mills company, and that means if the ingredients are safe then the product is as far as I know.

- Vincent -

#21 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

The dietician I saw just told us that Stonyfield Farms has more probiotics in it than any other brand of yogurt, and is gluten-free (at least the plain -- that's all I use, because I add my own fruit). Hope it helps . . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#22 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

I don't eat the yogurts with too many live raw germs in them-they make me feel sick like I cought a stomach virus or something.I don't eat them.I avoid them but I do eat the store brand yogurts and La Yogurt.Oh and Activa -it's new They were half price at my local mart-so I tried them ,they're supposed to regulate your digestive tract and stay in the small intestine for days.
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

#23 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Vydorscope, I also shop Kroger. We may have to compare notes more frequently. For "flavored" yogurt, I buy Yoplait Light. Both the Light and the "regular" are supposed to be gluten free. I have to go slowly with dairy, just re-introducing it, but it seems to not cause any more problems than any dairy.

Ok, that's in answer to your question about flavored yogurt at Kroger.

I'll add a personal addendum:
I also have just recently started buying Lifeway's lowfat, plain Kefir also from Kroger (gluten-free). Kefir is supposedly a really good for you probiotic, and Dr. Perricone lists this particular brand as one of the superfoods in two of his books.

I drink about 8 oz/day and after just a couple of weeks, I do feel better. (And even if it's all in your mind, feeling better is a good thing.)

Does Kefir take some getting used to? For me it did. After only a couple of days though, I really began to like it. I don't know what I was expecting; it's thicker than buttermilk, but thinner than yogurt. Shake it really well, or you may find clumps. Sometimes I mix it with my Enjoy Life granola. Other times I drink it plain or with chopped fresh fruit.

I was just diagnosed in Dec. and I know that my gut still has a long way to go in the healing process. I'm willing to do whatever to aid the healing. We've all felt bad and lacked necessary nutrients long enough, eh?

#24 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

I don't eat the yogurts with too many live raw germs in them-they make me feel sick like I cought a stomach virus or something.I don't eat them.I avoid them but I do eat the store brand yogurts and La Yogurt.Oh and Activa -it's new They were half price at my local mart-so I tried them ,they're supposed to regulate your digestive tract and stay in the small intestine for days.

Sorry, this statement struck me as odd. Is the "live raw germs" a mental thing? Because the Activa you bought is chalk full of the "germs" you're talking about. Live cultures (good bacteria) are what make yogurt yogurt, and they're also found in your digestive tract. When you have D or are on antibiotics, the good bacteria get flushed out or killed. When you eat yogurt, it repopulates your digestive tract with those beneficial bacteria that help you digest food.

Activa is a marketing strategy by Dannon to sell more yogurt, all yogurt can help regulate your digestive tract. A lot of yogurts has the "bifidus" strain Dannon claims to have exclusively. They just patented the name on a very specific strain they cultured. It's also found naturally in the large intestine. It's like the bc pill seasonale, it was a ploy to sell more pills and have a new patent, because the patent on desogen ran out. Seasonale is just desogen packaged differently.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#25 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

I don't eat the yogurts with too many live raw germs in them-they make me feel sick like I cought a stomach virus or something.I don't eat them.

Raw germs?? The bacteria is in all yogurt and its good for you. You have colonies of those bacteria living in your digestive tract right now. You need them for good health.
Rachel

#26 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:47 AM

Vincent
Have you gone to www.cascadefresh.com
They have a list of locations where they sell their product and there are quite a bit in TN.

#27 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:59 AM

Vincent
Have you gone to www.cascadefresh.com
They have a list of locations where they sell their product and there are quite a bit in TN.

Yes, I know, and I have seen them at Wild Oats, but all those stores are a hike for me, not places I can go to a regular baises.

- Vincent -

#28 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

Im sorry!! That sucks!

#29 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay