This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Cheat?

Ksmith

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I haven't knowlingly cheated yet (only stopped eating gluten 1/17/06, but had a reaction to a bowl of oatmeal?!?!), and I haven't even been officially diagnosed yet! But that DH rash was so horrible--it was like being allergic to my own skin--I have no desire to cheat. After the first 3 weeks were over, I don't even crave bread any more.

On the other hand, I have a friend who says that she is able to cheat on the little things, like soy sauce, with no discernable effect. But she was diagnosed as a small child (in New Zealand, where they have always been more savvy about celiac than America), so I suppose her digestive system was never damaged to the extent of most of the readers here.

I'm just thankful that I can still eat chocolate.... :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gabby Enthusiast

Hmmm. What a strange question. Strange, because you can't actually cheat celiac disease. Unlike a weight loss diet where you can 'cheat' by eating too many calories on one day, and making it up the next day and still being able to lose weight...you can't cheat celiac. Everytime you eat something with gluten, you will pay the price. There's no getting around it. There's no getting away with it.

In the early days on the Gluten-free diet, I tried having bits and bites of things on the no-no list. And I paid in spades. Today, you couldn't make me eat something with gluten in it. Seriously, I would go several days without food rather than eat gluten. It makes me that sick.

Just thinking about intentionally eating gluten gives me the heebeejeebies (sp)!

Guest Viola

After 17 years I've never cheated and never will. Every time I think that something would be really good, my stomach ties itself in knots just thinking about it. When I was eventually diagnosed I was 87 pounds and having to go the bathroom three times 'during' a meal and having to go without eating for over 24 hours so I could make it into town to see the doctor. Not too many bathrooms handy in this valley. :lol:

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I also have not knowingly cheated, but I have been careless. I have also only been on this diet since Oct '06, so that isnt a major thing yet. I do have cravings, but I try to remember all those days in the hospital on meds that made me goofy and I let the craving pass.

Tinkerbell

tarnalberry Community Regular
I think it is like heroine. When you go clean, you gotta go all the way clean. If you keep indulging you're just feeding your addiction.

I think that description is the most apt. Over time, it becomes easier to avoid those triggers that used to get you craving gluten - both because you've formed a good strong habit, and because you slowly forget the taste. And because you find other things to crave that are safe. If you keep eating gluten, even once a month, not only are you damaging yourself, but you never give yourself the chance to 'break the addiction'.

I think it's strange some of us feel this way. People with dairy allergies don't go, "Oh, I feel so different, so left out, etc..." or ppl with other allergies. If I am wrong, I'm sorry please correct me.

Oh yeah! I feel left out when I can't have cheese. Probably more so than with the crackers that are next to the cheese! But more people are upfront about avoiding dairy - usually just because of lactose, however, so they're also not faced with other people behaving in an ostracizing manner (even if it's subtle).

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I've never cheated and I cant see myself ever doing it. Its been almost 7 months now and I still feel the strong addiction but I've never given in. I used to think it was hard to quit smoking...the cravings for cigarettes passed fairly quickly but I think I'll crave gluten forever.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Cheat? Never!

Just the thought of putting something gluten deliberately in my mouth is unfathomable. I would be terrified of the consequences...... wouldn't be pretty (wouldn't smell pretty, either...... ;) )

Hugs.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I think the problem here is varance in serverity of symptons. If you have more server symptons you will be much more against cheating then some one who might have very minor symptons. Damage aside.. its symptons that realy impact behavior here, I think

gf4life Enthusiast

Vincent, I agree. My symptoms are quite severe with an even tiny (think microscopic) amount of gluten. The thought of eating something with gluten ON PURPOSE would never even cross my mind. With every accidental ingestion I am sick for weeks. So not only do I not cheat, but I am extremely careful not to have too many accidents either.

For someone who doesn't react very severely with symptoms, or who has no symptoms at all, then I can see the temptation to cheat would be much stronger. But for me, no donut, pizza, or french bread could possibly be worth the pain and suffering even one bite would cause!

tiffjake Enthusiast
well i'll step it up.....i've cheated, several times......if i have a free weekend where i don't have to do anything i would cheat. however, i've been having some other health problems on top of everything and i haven't cheated in a month...trying to keep up the trend......but i tell you what...sometimes that sub or piece of pizza really was worth it.

Thanks for saying something. I read through the whole thread and still didn't want to be honest. The truth is that I cheated today. I feel terrible. I have the worst acid reflux right now, and the stomach pains.....but I am torn when I go out to eat. I went out with a friend and she only wanted to go to this ONE place that she could afford, and there wasn't much there that I was feeling good about (being gluten free). It is a forgien (sp?) place and I didn't have my gluten-free dining cards with me, so I didn't want to try to explain gluten in chinese. I just ate my food, and now I don't feel so good. I know better. And I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. I just want to second what Mahee said. I do cheat. I don't think it is good or right, but I do it. I would never tell someone else to do it, because I wouldn't gamble with someone elses health. It is so ironic that this thread was on here tonight...........

CMCM Rising Star

I've been good today. But I cheated yesterday with one of my favorite junk foods....Sara Lee Pecan coffee cake. Sigh. And I paid for it big time last night. So I was very good today. :D

Bonnie Explorer

I have cheated once about a month ago. Ate a tiny slice of pecan nut pie. I was hungry and the temptation was just too much for me. I didn't have any symptoms but I wasn't tempted to eat more of it - knew I was pushing my luck. So with me it looks like the quantity matters - did a gluten challenge about 6 months ago with 2 slices of bread and thought I was going to die!

I felt guilty for eating the pecan pie for weeks afterwards. Won't do it again - bothered me just as much psychologically as it would have physically.

In general, I don't crave bread or any other gluten foods anymore. Never would have thought it possible!!

Yvonne

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I really wonder if anyone else cheats on occasion like I do, or if you all are true gluten-free die-hards.

Your kidding right? Not worth the pain for anything.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Never... ever... ever....

aikiducky Apprentice

Well I'm in the category "it's not worth the pain". I hate the feeling of not being able to concentrate on anything, I just loose several days if I accidentally have a tiny little bit of cross contamination. I don't even want to imagine what a piece of cake or bread would do. That said, I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about cheating.

Pauliina

Rusla Enthusiast

I have never cheated and never plan to because I don't like suffering. Cheating would cause me suffering. Everytime I think I miss pizza, I make my gluten-free pizza. If I miss certain things in Chinese food, I have them make me something I can have that I like equally as well. I have enough problems with accidental glutenings, I don't need to cheat.

jenvan Collaborator

I have never cheated. Just can't imagine doing something that would hurt myself or contribute to a high chance of something awful like intestinal lymphoma. Its food...which is not the center of life, just a part of it. (That doesn't mean its not hard at times though, I know). I posted this somewhere else today, but for me, several things help being gluten-free--finding good, delicious gluten-free treats, taking the focus off of food--and focusing on activities, hobbies, friends, families--things I enjoy, and cultivating discipline--a good practice for anyone I believe. Lastly, counting my blessings. Giving up gluten is such a small price compared to several folks I know who suffer tremendously every day. I don't want a group of certain foods to have a hold on me! Life can be/is good, even in the hard stuff--and there are so many other things out there to enjoy!

zip2play Apprentice

I have not knowingly cheated, but have only been doing this for about 2 months. But, I don't get severe symptoms. If I am at a restaurant, I order what I believe is gluten free, I even do homework before time. But I don't go on and on with the server or chef about proper gluten free cooking. Because I am not willing to do this, I don't eat out often. But I have a handful of places that have been safe for me!

Monica

Guest BERNESES

I can't cheat because I am super-sensitive. Cross contamination can knock me out for a week (I feel like I'm stoned too but then my stomach reminds me that I'm NOT). But, I think that as several other people have pointed out, it depends on the severity of your symptoms. My husbnad and i were talking about it the other day and i was saying that if I had no symptoms or a minor reaction I might be much more tempted to cheat. I mean if I just got a "little" diarrhea from eating a whole pizza I might not take this so seriously. But I get way too sick- not worth it.

A friend of mine has diabetes and my husband has high cholesterol and they have both commented to me that in some senses I am "lucky" in that my body lets me know right away when I've slipped up (I don't know about lucky :P ) whereas for them they won't see the damage until years down the road when it's really severe.

I think adjusting to the gluten-free diet would have been much harder for me if I was asympomatic or had minor reactions. I can see how someone in that position would find it difficult.

penguin Community Regular

When I ate the saltines last night to see if I really would have a reaction, I was trying to prove to my mom (across the country) and myself that it's not in my head. DH said I should have had girl scout cookies, since we have 2 cases left from the sale, but I sold them for 11 years, and ate my weight in them every year, I'm just sick of them :P

I mean, obviously it's not in my head, I was diagnosed, but she thinks I'm self diagnosing when I'm just trying to convince myself that I have this LIFETIME thing. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I showed her...I felt like crap. I went to sleep in the fetal position hoping that I wouldn't throw up before the bentyl kicked in...

On the other hand, I know know exactly what my glutened reactions are:

Within 15 minutes: Like Snoop Dogg on a day that ends in Y. I may as well have had a 3 day bender in Amsterdam.

Within 30 minutes: Heartburn, not really, but burning churning in the tummy

Within a couple of hours: Cramping, weakness, nausea

Now I know. I also know that it was definitely the kettle chips that glutened me a couple of weeks ago, since I had the same reaction <_<

I have no desire to cheat, but I did feel the need for a scientific experiment. I chose the saltines because they were the most gluteny thing we had :blink:

par18 Apprentice

No and I really haven't felt tempted. I still miss the occasional beer but will live without until a good gluten-free one becomes available.

Linda352 Rookie
I really wonder if anyone else cheats on occasion like I do, or if you all are true gluten-free die-hards.

:( Yes, I do cheat occasionally as I'm still new at this and still learning about what I can and can't consume. I had recently been introduced to the Apple Martini (before I started the gluten-free diet) and was craving one over the weekend so I tested myself by having one. I don't get most of the symptoms that most of you seem to suffer but I suffer with severe pain in my upper spine area. I was fine after having one but the next day I was in agony so I'm bummed out that I won't be able to enjoy this luscious treat. :angry:

Linda/NJ

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't ever intentionally cheat, but I feel extremely guilty every time I eat out - even if it's a place with a gluten-free menu and an extremely helpful server and chef. I think it's becuase 99% of the time restaurant food makes me sick. I wish there were a way to never ever have to eat out again (Well I suppose there is a way but that would be pretty anti-social of me - grr).

I think it's strange some of us feel this way. People with dairy allergies don't go, "Oh, I feel so different, so left out, etc..." or ppl with other allergies. If I am wrong, I'm sorry please correct me.

Just something I felt like saying. :)

-Jackie :)

Jackie - I think that's an interesting point. For the first 22 years of my life I thought I was only dairy intolerant (I knew it was both casein and lactose). I felt a little left out, but for the most part it wasn't that big of a deal. I think people are more accepting of those who avoid dairy because lactose intolerance is a pretty widely-known issue. Nobody cared if I requested that half the pizza be cheeseless. :) For some reason, I began to have a much harder time in that respect when I stopped eating gluten. Hmm - I need to figure out why that is...

Idahogirl Apprentice

I cheated a couple days after I started the diet, thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I had a huge hotdog on the bun. I had stopped taking Dapsone, so my skin was inflamed for days. There was another time that a friend brought what she thought were gluten free treats to Bible study (she even looked up the recipe on the internet). They had Rice Krispies in them. It was such a nice gesture, I ate them anyway so she wouldn't feel bad.

There have been times I have realized I accidentally ate something with gluten and kept going since it was too late (used the wrong teriyaki in the stir fry, but I was half way done with my plate before I realized it), and there have been a few times that I've ate something not knowing for sure if it was gluten free, or knowing the risk of cc. I don't have awful symptoms, sometimes a headache-and I'm not even sure this is from the gluten.

My son's birthday party was on Sunday, and the leftover cake has been lingering around the house. It looks so good, part of me wants to cheat so bad, but for some reason I can't bring myself to do it. It is torture imagining how good it would taste.....

Lisa

francelajoie Explorer

I do cheat. I don't eat a bowl of pasta or a slice of pizza but if there is terryaki ribs in front of me I will have one. Only one. I don't react like most of you do. I get diarreha once, after that, back to normal. If I take Revitalx right after, I usually don't have any side effects. No pains or anything. I, on average, cheat maybe twice a month.

Archived