This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This May Be A Stupid Question

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

most of us are lactose intolerant because of the damage to the villi...my Dr told me its ok to have dairy if I take a lactose pill. I do eat a little dairy, mostly Kraft Cheese [lactose free] and once in awhile I have Romano but if the reason I can't tolerate dairy is because of the damage to my stomach am I keeping myself from healing or cont. to cause more damage when I eat it?

its the gluten that did the damage..so I guess its ok?????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

If lactose causes you problems, don't go there. If you have damage to your villi, it will take quite some time to heal. It has taken me almost 6 months to start the healing process and to know when I am glutened or just healing.

I am just now beginning to know the difference. Hope this will be helpful. Be patient

I am not lactose intollerent and don't feel that I am in the minority.

Know your body and respond to what you react to.

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

PS: There are no stupid questions here. :)

lovegrov Collaborator

I agree about no stupid questions. I don't think the majority of people with celiac are lactose intolerant, but if you are, lay off it for a while. Most people who ARE intolerant solely because of celiac can eventually tolerate dairy again. Not all, but many.

richard

ebrbetty Rising Star

thank you both

lisa, do you mean it took 6 months to start feeling better? I've been gluten-free about 2 months and get so upset that my belly still hurts everyday, better though

lovegrov Collaborator

Everybody is so different. I never had the hurting belly and rarely had the diarrhea, but I was extremely anemic and was basically dying of malnutrition. It was 10 weeks before I had the energy to return to work at a desk job and months before I was close to "normal."

richard

nettiebeads Apprentice

No, the diary you ingest isn't damaging your intestines. It's your body's reaction to gluten that does it. I was in the normal catagory of celiac (I think I just made that up) anyhow, after your villi heal, they will start to produce the lactic acid needed to digest diary. But I think it's very individualistic as to how much healing and how long it takes and how much diary you'll be able to tolerate afterwards. I cut out dairy for 3 months, then tried it, still had a little problem with it, but not the severe stomach cramps like before. I still don't eat as much of it as I used to, but when I do ingest diary, I'm fine. (Can't live w/o Blue Bunny ice cream)

Annette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I do agree with richard, which I usually do, everyone is different.

I only had the sharp, knife pains before diog., after going gluten free (or as best as I was able.), I had the D issue. It was months before I would go out of town. Living in a very small town, sometimes I could not make it to the Post Office. Worse yet, standing on my back porch, the bathroom was 20 seconds away, I got there in 25 seconds. Celiac can be a very humbling experience. I have thrown out 2 pairs of my favorite jeans and two of the best lipsticks that I did not have the will to retrieve.

This is the best week that I have had in a long time. I am getting the feel for this. I really don't miss much. I didn't like bread, pizza, beet, pasta. I think that my body was always telling me something.'

So the lesson to this story is to, always listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs.

Be patient, and diligent.

Hope th is will be helpful. - Lisa

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks again guys.. :D

penguin Community Regular

The reason most celiacs are lactose intolerant is because the villi are flattened, and the villi produce lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose.

Lactaid pills (and milk) are full of lactase to help you digest the lactose. If it bugs you, don't eat it.

ebrbetty Rising Star

well I knew that villi produce lactase and that they get damaged from celiac disease I was just wondering if eating dairy continues to damage the villi or should I say keep it from healing.

sorry if my question bugged you..was just curious if eating it will do more damage

well I knew that villi produce lactase and that they get damaged from celiac disease I was just wondering if eating dairy continues to damage the villi or should I say keep it from healing.

sorry if my question bugged you..was just curious if eating it will do more damage

Sorry if I misinterpreted your quuestion, the saltines made me pretty stoned

ebrbetty Rising Star

no problem...you just seemed a bit upset by my question

have a great night :D

no problem...you just seemed a bit upset by my question

have a great night :D

Not bugged, upset, or otherwise bothered by your question. :lol::lol:

It's just that all of my wit has gone to my tummy to try to digest my stupidity :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient

Betty, The way I understand it is, when we have damaged villi, we can not digest the lactose in the milk or dairy products. I don't believe that consuming the dairy will continue to harm the villi or impede healing. I think it's more a matter of stopping it for a while to give the system a chance to heal and settle down a bit, and then if you can tolerate it, it's ok. If it's a lactose problem, there is no resulting damage.

ebrbetty Rising Star

Chelsea I hope your belly feels better very soon!!

patti, thanks, thats what I wanted to know..as I said I eat a little dairy and the lactose pills I got from England work great. I just didn't want to mess myself up more than I already am lol

loraleena Contributor

What many people don't know is that a lot of people are lactose intolerant due to the pasterization and homogenization of dairy. This kill all the enzymes we need to digest it. 50 years ago when dairy was not pasterized lactose intolerance was almost unheard of. Please go on the net and read about the benefits of raw dairy. I eat only raw cheese with no problems. But give me regular dairy and my stomach acts up. You can get raw cheese at whole foods - does not taste different - actually better. Raw milk can be found at local farms. Look on the net.

What many people don't know is that a lot of people are lactose intolerant due to the pasterization and homogenization of dairy. This kill all the enzymes we need to digest it. 50 years ago when dairy was not pasterized lactose intolerance was almost unheard of. Please go on the net and read about the benefits of raw dairy. I eat only raw cheese with no problems. But give me regular dairy and my stomach acts up. You can get raw cheese at whole foods - does not taste different - actually better. Raw milk can be found at local farms. Look on the net.

In the US, it's hard to find raw cheese, because it's illegal to sell cheese that is aged less than 60 days. Stupid USDA <_<

Raw milk is legal to sell in a little over half the states...

Here's a site with a listing: Open Original Shared Link

ebrbetty Rising Star

you can get the raw cheese at whole foods? what is the brand name?

Archived