Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Driven Mad By Celiac

6 posts in this topic

It still gets to me how people are ill informed about serten allergies.There are so many.Peanut allergy is the most herd about.Nuts this,nuts that.YES it is vary importent.But so is CELIAC/COELIAC''uk''and it shoud be known the world over without the strang looks from those you try to explane to.Gluten is toxic!We all have our stories on how we found out about ''THE SPRUE''and how doctors.famlies,friends thought we were crazy.DH just as hard to explane.Gets some fired to all because it looks like your not taking care of your self.Its all just mading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ads by Google:

A pill cannot cure it, so there is no incentive for pharmacy companies to educate people about it. No one has committed a horrific crime and blamed on celiac disease, so there is no publicity value in it. We just have to do our best ourselves!

Yes, this bothers me too. Sometimes when I tell people or I ask if something is wheat free/gluten-free at a restaurant people don't understand. I feel like people sometimes think I'm on some new age diet, when really, if I eat that stuff I'll be sick for days and days.

You're right. Until I knew what it was I too thought it was a "new age" fad diet (really did). Like low carb. Now I call myself the Celiac Ambassador as I try to educate all who'll listen as to what it is, etc. I know I am boring some people, but maybe it'll stick in their heads & they'll recall the info later on if they hear about it again or if a relative comes down with it.

I pass out brochures from the Celiac Sprue Assn. I've even written up my own one page hand out and I leave copies of it at the supermarket.

I feel like an evangelist and celiac disease is my religion -- I will set you all gluten free!

I educated the local butcher about it this morning. He can get me beef and pork that is only grain-fed, with none of the hormones and other garbage, but I will have to buy 1/2 of the animal to get it. I am calling all of my family to see if they want in on it. Meat with no additives is such a blessing for me!

celiac disease,

I totally agree with you. It's very annoying (to say the least) to have to go through a detailed account of exactly what Celiac Disease is etc... I think it is getting better though 'cause now I run into people who say "oh yeah I know someone who has that." So time will tell I guess. :huh: