- - - - -

Driven Mad By Celiac

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cd&dhspruehead_*

Guest_cd&dhspruehead_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:18 PM

It still gets to me how people are ill informed about serten allergies.There are so many.Peanut allergy is the most herd about.Nuts this,nuts that.YES it is vary importent.But so is CELIAC/COELIAC''uk''and it shoud be known the world over without the strang looks from those you try to explane to.Gluten is toxic!We all have our stories on how we found out about ''THE SPRUE''and how doctors.famlies,friends thought we were crazy.DH just as hard to explane.Gets some fired to all because it looks like your not taking care of your self.Its all just mading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

A pill cannot cure it, so there is no incentive for pharmacy companies to educate people about it. No one has committed a horrific crime and blamed on celiac disease, so there is no publicity value in it. We just have to do our best ourselves!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 midnightlullaby

midnightlullaby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:34 AM

Yes, this bothers me too. Sometimes when I tell people or I ask if something is wheat free/gluten-free at a restaurant people don't understand. I feel like people sometimes think I'm on some new age diet, when really, if I eat that stuff I'll be sick for days and days.

#4 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:39 PM

You're right. Until I knew what it was I too thought it was a "new age" fad diet (really did). Like low carb. Now I call myself the Celiac Ambassador as I try to educate all who'll listen as to what it is, etc. I know I am boring some people, but maybe it'll stick in their heads & they'll recall the info later on if they hear about it again or if a relative comes down with it.

I pass out brochures from the Celiac Sprue Assn. I've even written up my own one page hand out and I leave copies of it at the supermarket.

I feel like an evangelist and celiac disease is my religion -- I will set you all gluten free!
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:21 PM

I educated the local butcher about it this morning. He can get me beef and pork that is only grain-fed, with none of the hormones and other garbage, but I will have to buy 1/2 of the animal to get it. I am calling all of my family to see if they want in on it. Meat with no additives is such a blessing for me!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:41 PM

celiac disease,
I totally agree with you. It's very annoying (to say the least) to have to go through a detailed account of exactly what Celiac Disease is etc... I think it is getting better though 'cause now I run into people who say "oh yeah I know someone who has that." So time will tell I guess. :huh:
Crystal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: