This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Particularly Helpful Magazines Or Books?

momandgirls

momandgirls Enthusiast

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place - I wasn't sure where to put it - feel free to move it...I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for particularly good books or magazines? We're still new to Celiac (my daughter was diagnosed in the past couple weeks and I had bloodwork drawn today - I called my GI and asked for it - maybe my diagnosis of IBS 12 years ago has really, all this time, been celiac?) I noticed a magazine called Living Without - I can't find it in any store - before I pay for a subscription, I was wondering if anyone's seen it and is it good? What about basic books or cookbooks? We're also both lactose intolerant and I can't have soy, either. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I have found Living Without in some of the health food stores here. I really like it and am thinking about getting a subscription. I have a subscription to Gluten Free Living and really like it. They always have a great section where they investigate foods for gluten (great one on blue cheese).

Hez

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I like the Living Without magazine. I found it at Whole Foods. A couple good books are "Wheat Free Worry Free" and "Dangerous Grains".

Dangerous Grains is a more "in depth" look at what gluten is and how it affects us...its more scientific but "Wheat Free Worry Free" is easy reading.

jenvan Collaborator

I also love living without--definintely my favorite publication. Go here to see: Open Original Shared Link There's a section where you can view sample articles. There are always good recipes, practical/helpful information and encouraging stories...

penguin Community Regular

I just started reading the Gluten Free Bible. So far, its pretty good and it's got funny parts :)

It covers basically coping with celiac, and all aspects thereof

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree with the others about Living Without--I get it at Whole Foods, but I will probably be subscribing to it. For books, I would recommend Wheat free Worry free--a great book for someone new to gluten-free, and Dangerous Grains is a must-read for us and everyone in my opinion. I have just begun to read Dr. Green's new book--Celiac Disease-A Hidden Epidemic. So far it looks very good.

momandgirls Enthusiast

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. I went to Borders yesterday and bought Wheat Free, Worry Free, The Gluten Free Bible and Celiac: A Hidden Epidemic. I flipped through all three last night - I couldn't decide which to start first! I also went to Whole Foods but they didn't have any copies of Living Without. They said they'd hold one for me when the new copy comes out. Anyone know when that will be? Thank you so much - you all are so helpful - I really appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

My opinion:

Celiac magazines are nice to read (and I do read them), but are not going to be a primary source of information for you when you're starting the diet....

Books:

Wheat-Free, Worry-Free is the book I recommend most often. It's a phenomenal resource, complete, trustworthy, etc. Dr. Green's "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic" is the best medically, weaker on lifestyle. The Gluten-Free Bible is filled with inaccuracies about products' gluten-free status and recommends certain things you should avoid (ask me if you want to see a longer thread about it). The author has a great writing style, just not so accurate info, so you should be careful about reading that before you read something more authoritative, as Danna Korn's or Dr. Peter Green's book(s).

momandgirls Enthusiast

celiac3270 - Thank you for your input. The reason I bought those three books is that they were the only ones that the store carried. A teacher of my daughter's has celiac and is the one who had recommended the Gluten Free Bible to me. I had heard, on this board, others saying that they didn't think it was the best book around too. Maybe I'll return it - we're so new to this whole thing I hate to read inaccurate information - I'm finding the process confusing as it is! Anyway, I do like the other two - especially the Danna Korn book. I am looking forward to seeing her new book when it comes out in April - Celiac Disease for Dummies, or something like that. I do like her writing style - so easy to read. Again, thanks.

Archived