This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Test Results

munchkinette

munchkinette Collaborator

Hmm. I just got my results:

tTG Ab,IgA <3

IgA 261

Gliadin Ab IgA 3

These seem really low! I even told my doctor that I stopped eating gluten for 4 days before the test (after eating gluten for a week), and before that I was gluten-free for two weeks. I just couldn't handle feeling so awful for the last 4 days. I sent her an email asking a bunch of things including a referral to an allergist and about enterolab testing, a biopsy, and gene testing. She just sent me a short note about giving me a referral to an allergist. What the heck? It doesn't sound like she is taking this seriously... I felt good during the two weeks gluten-free, felt like crap on the gluten, and then started to feel good again a few days ago (after a full week gluten-free). I told her that I found out about my gran having problems with wheat at my age.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Should I just shell out the money for the enterolab, or would that just be negative now too? I don't plan to start eating wheat again anytime soon, but I would like to get something from an actual doctor/lab. Is a referral to an allergist enough to start with? What tests would an allergist do that would help? (I mean, he could find a wheat allergy, but that still wouldn't show an intolerance, right?)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I was in the same situation. I stopped eating gluten the day of my blood test and was shocked when it came back negative. First of all, as you know, it is important to trust your body and stay on a strict gluten-free diet.

As far as testing is concerned, I went back and forth. I just emailed enterolab last night to see if I could find out any information to take to my insurance company to see if it will be covered. I finally decided that it wasn't important right now for me to continue trying to get a confirmation for something that I know is right. I feel so much better and that is really all I want. I feel like it is enough to deal with right now finding all the hidden gluten in my house and learning how to eat out, that I don't want the extra pressure of getting the diagnosis.

I've been to a gi doctor before and when I've told them how I feel, I left with zoloft, which didn't make my stomach pain and D go away. I wonder why not? Maybe because there was something really wrong with my digestive system and it wasn't all in my head.

Getting an official diagnosis shouldn't change what you are doing now to make yourself feel better so I look at it as something that can be addressed later when I'm feeling better.

nettiebeads Apprentice

My dr. thinks that the testing isn't as sensitive and reliable as they probably will be in the future. I never did have any testing done, other than the diet challenge, which is a viable dx tool. And your body is telling you you have severe problems with gluten, so cut it out. It's up to you to listen and take care of your body. I know the dr's get paid to, but for some when issues present themselves out of their scope of experience, they seem to just ignore it and send the pt somewhere else.

Hope you're feeling better,

Annette

Guest nini

it looks like they didn't do the EMA, and what is up with this? IgA 261????? Is that correct? Because that looks elevated to me? (I'm not a dr though)

anyway, I also believe that the tests can only confirm Celiac, they cannot ever completely rule it out, and positive dietary response is IMHO the most valid diagnostic tool out there. Listen to your body. Stay gluten-free and don't worry about it! Welcome to your new healthier life!

VydorScope Proficient

Let put it this way..

You eat gluten, you sick. You stop eating gluten you get better.

Umm what more do you want to know? :D

momandgirls Enthusiast

Hi - I just looked at my daughter's lab slip which show the normal range - IgA normal range is 70 to 312 so 261 is, indeed, in the normal range...

penguin Community Regular

You need to see a gastroenterologist more than you need to see an allergist, although he may be able to help also.

You feel better, keep doing it. You have a family history, and also, if you were gluten-free two weeks before you ate gluten for a week, it may have messed with your blood tests. Did they test your IgG? That's an indicator of long term problems because it takes longer to go down.

Cassidy - My regular doctor wanted to put me on an antianxiety medication when she thought I had IBS, because they've recently discovered that most IBS is caused by a seratonin imbalance. I said no way to that, because I've been on them before and felt like a zombie. A few days later, my blood tests came back inconclusive and then I started the diet. Dr. dx'ed celiac last friday based on the diet results and the fact that an endo a few years ago showed stomach irritation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

I do need to see the allergist anyway. My brother and cousin have all had that grid test with a million different substances, and I think it would be a good thing since I'm sensitive to a few things already. I'm hoping the allergist will refer me to a GI. I need a referral within the hospital, but my insurance doesn't care. I'm thinking of looking for another doctor but I don't know where to start. My psychiatrist is supportive about this, but he has a separate practice that isn't related to anyone (so he can't refer me).

What is EMA?

And my reference sheet said that the normal range for IgA was something like 70-400

• 2 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I did the allergist routine to the tune of a few grand... He treats people with enviromental allergies -- I don't suffer from that. They told me they can make an antidote. It was a huge waste of $$$ for me...

Guest nini
I do need to see the allergist anyway. My brother and cousin have all had that grid test with a million different substances, and I think it would be a good thing since I'm sensitive to a few things already. I'm hoping the allergist will refer me to a GI. I need a referral within the hospital, but my insurance doesn't care. I'm thinking of looking for another doctor but I don't know where to start. My psychiatrist is supportive about this, but he has a separate practice that isn't related to anyone (so he can't refer me).

What is EMA?

And my reference sheet said that the normal range for IgA was something like 70-400

here's the complete panel that should have been done...

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

I apologize for my mix up on the other post, I was half asleep...

Archived