This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Paleo Diet

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

I'm not looking to start another debate about the paleo diet ;) Rather, I'm looking into it as I've got problems with foods from most of the groups that the paleo diet excludes, so it might well be a practical solution for me. I've got a few questions though..

1 if you are following the diet, to you intend to stay on if forever, or just until you heal?

2 is it possible not to lose weight? I need to put weight on - will I be able to do that?

3 where do you get recipes from?

4 where's the best list of allowed ingredients?

I'll probably think of some more later, but that'll do for now!

Thanks!

ok, now that DH has taken DS downstairs to give me a bit of peace and quiet, I've thought of a couple more!

what do you eat for breakfast?

do you eat as much as you want of everything on the permitted list?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Paleo diet should be quite high in protein so it might just help you put on muscle, which you probably need.

I'm not on the Paleo diet, but a diet that is pretty similar, SCD.

I eat:

Breakfast: eggs dressed up in stuff like proscuitto or chicken/turkey sausages with good spices (I get them at Trader Joe's).

Lunch: Large salad with chicken breast, olives, artichoke hearts

or "meat of the week" and a vegetable

Snacks: Berries with "lemon curd", apples, HB egg, nuts, dried fruit, nut butters

Dinner: Usually meat and a veggie.

I am trying to lose weight so I keep my portions down. But if you're trying to gain weight, I'd eat a lot of nuts and nut butters. They're so totally my downfall though!

The lemon curd I make is done using eggs, lemon juice, lemon extract, Splenda (not exactly legal, but there you go). It makes a wonderful, tart, thick topping for coconut milk yogurt or on berries. Sometimes I make thin crepes with just egg and water and put the curd in the middle of the crepe. Yum!

I really enjoy this diet. I've gotten quite good at cooking up a storm on the weekends (this week was Leg of Lamb) and then taking left-overs to work all week long. I have come to really appreciate the flavor of something as simple as squash with a bit of ghee and some salt.

I use ghee, which is butter with the milk proteins cooked and strained out. And I also use olive oil.

CMCM Rising Star
Paleo diet should be quite high in protein so it might just help you put on muscle, which you probably need.

I'm not on the Paleo diet, but a diet that is pretty similar, SCD.

I eat:

Breakfast: eggs dressed up in stuff like proscuitto or chicken/turkey sausages with good spices (I get them at Trader Joe's).

Lunch: Large salad with chicken breast, olives, artichoke hearts

or "meat of the week" and a vegetable

Snacks: Berries with "lemon curd", apples, HB egg, nuts, dried fruit, nut butters

Dinner: Usually meat and a veggie.

I am trying to lose weight so I keep my portions down. But if you're trying to gain weight, I'd eat a lot of nuts and nut butters. They're so totally my downfall though!

The lemon curd I make is done using eggs, lemon juice, lemon extract, Splenda (not exactly legal, but there you go). It makes a wonderful, tart, thick topping for coconut milk yogurt or on berries. Sometimes I make thin crepes with just egg and water and put the curd in the middle of the crepe. Yum!

I really enjoy this diet. I've gotten quite good at cooking up a storm on the weekends (this week was Leg of Lamb) and then taking left-overs to work all week long. I have come to really appreciate the flavor of something as simple as squash with a bit of ghee and some salt.

I use ghee, which is butter with the milk proteins cooked and strained out. And I also use olive oil.

Nancy...what is the recipe for lemon curd...I LOVE that stuff but haven't had it for ages. And how do you do the crepes?

Also, about ghee...does that mean there would be no casein in it? Where do you buy it and how is it sold...in a can or something? Trader Joe's?

Nancym Enthusiast
Nancy...what is the recipe for lemon curd...I LOVE that stuff but haven't had it for ages. And how do you do the crepes?

Also, about ghee...does that mean there would be no casein in it? Where do you buy it and how is it sold...in a can or something? Trader Joe's?

I've got lots of recipes over at this web site, I'm Nancy LC over there: Open Original Shared Link

Search for Lemon Curd over in the Sweet Treats section. There's also a Paleo message forum there too.

Ghee... I make myself. Basically you cook butter until all the milk proteins fall to the bottom. I don't know if it is 100% casein free but it is pretty close I think. I think after I use it up I'll go without for awhile and see if I notice any difference in how I feel. It doesn't taste like butter, but it sure is tasty! You can find instructions for how to make it online or look in that paleo forum.

The crepes couldn't be easier. I mix about 1T of water with 1egg (shake it hard in a container). Then I pour it into a nonstick pan, swirl the pan to coat with egg, pour out the extra (for next crepe). I cook it over medium or med-low (forget which) until the edges brown slightly and the top looks dry. Then I turn the crepe out onto a plate (putting paper towels between).

flampton Rookie

I highly recommend checking out Tamir Katz's website

Open Original Shared Link

He's got a really cheap book for sale that is really informative. It talks about being underweight also. Basically you would want to increase your carbohydrate intake with dried fruits and bananas while maintaining a good intake of protein and fat.

Oh and I have no stake in Tamir's book. I just really like it.

1. I stay on the diet as much as possible but I am rational about it in social situations. ie I'll eat anything but gluten

2. I'm still quite a bit underweight myself but I was being glutened on the this diet for a long time because of the social situations. ie beer and wings etc. I have put on a few pounds since going gluten free, but I have been even more lax on the diet as I was learning what I could eat out in the real world

3. I don't really have any recipes per se, I make it up on the fly. Meat with some spices, vegetable with olive oil, and fruit . I eat to live, don't live to eat. I don't think someone could do this diet if it were the other way around

4. Allowed ingredients are up to the specific author, especially there bias. It is really hard to characterize a paleolithic diet. With that note here is a decent list...

Open Original Shared Link

Later

Eric

Archived