- - - - -

Helpful Hints

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:56 AM

Patti ... at the dog show we put liquid bounce in a spray bottle and spray the table clothes at the hospitality tent. We've only had one sting in the past four years at hospitality. Putting a sheet of bounce through your belt loop is a good idea. That would help. Apparently the wasps don't like the smell. Around the rings we put up bee traps with a bit of hamburger in them. It helps keep the dogs from being stung.

Having said all the good things about dryer sheets ... here is something else to remember. Take the screen out of your dryer and run it under water ... you'll find that the screen will hold water :o That's because all this wonderful stuff on the dryer sheet is sealing all the holes in your screen. So ... remember to wash your screen with soap and water and a soft brush every so often. It will cut down on your drying time, therefore saving you money and it will prevent a possiblity of fire because your dryer isn't venting right.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

OK Who watches that show, How Clean Is Your house? on Lifetime? The 2 British ladies on their hands and knees sniffing pure nastiness, and all the cleaning tips -I'm morbidly fascinated. How sick and twisted is that? :ph34r:
Laura
Michigan

#18 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

OK Who watches that show, How Clean Is Your house? on Lifetime? The 2 British ladies on their hands and knees sniffing pure nastiness, and all the cleaning tips -I'm morbidly fascinated. How sick and twisted is that? :ph34r:
Laura

I watched it once, they put bleach on cotton balls and then stuffed them into that little ledge thingy where your bathtub meets the tile to get rid of mold, I do that now, it works great. ;)
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

#19 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

I've never heard of that show, but it sounds fascinating ... what channel do you find it on? :lol:

#20 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

I've never heard of that show, but it sounds fascinating ... what channel do you find it on? :lol:

http://www.lifetimetv.com/shows/clean/

lifetime, it's on cable.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

#21 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:22 AM

I haven't seen it in a while--I didn't know it was still on. I could never understand how the people could actually live, eat and sleep in the "before". So gross! I do love to watch how the ladies clean and disinfect the whole mess. Very satisfying :D . Does anyone else wonder if the families keep the house up after the camera leaves? :ph34r:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#22 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

OMG, I never heard of the show! I am a clean freak and also a hint fan, so thanks everyone!! Love the bounce ideas, and the dryer screen danger I never knew. A friend of mine also emailed me some info that a lot of fires are started these days by plug-ins. I noticed mine was hot in one bathroom and threw it away. Check those frequently.

#23 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:17 AM

Shirley: How does the Bounce sheets work against bees & wasps? What are the directions to use it?

Thanks

Debbie
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#24 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:37 AM

This is a top tip for removing pet hair of your clothes or cushions etc-(My cat's are forever snuggling down on my best cushions!)
Put rubber gloves on (the kind you put on to do the dishes)and wipe your hand over the 'hairy' article.
The fur is attracted to the rubber(it's a static thing I think)and you end up getting loads of fur off.
Good for cleaning the interior of your car too (if your dogs go in the car) :)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#25 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

Hi Debbie ... I think it's just the smell the distracts them. It's funny it works though, because perfume will attract bees. However it does work fairly well, but you will still get the odd one that comes around. If you are sitting around outside, I would really suggest a couple of good bee traps .. one baited with meat, the other baited with a heavy surup made from sugar and water ... beer will also work, but most of my friends think it's a waste of good beer :lol:

#26 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

I read once that a good trap for bees and other icky flying stinging things is a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle with just a little soda (full sugar) at the bottom (maybe 1/4 of the way full).

The bees and things go into the bottle but can't figure out how to get out. Orange soda is supposed to work particularly well.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: