This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flax Oil

elkris

elkris Newbie

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I've had dh since I was in high school. (I'm almost 59 now) I take many supplements as I am sure we all do. I started taking flax seed oil many years ago and discovered it quickly dries up the dh rash and cuts the itching almost immediately. Please try it. I have never taken dapsone as I can control the rash with flax. I've tried many brands and they all seem to work. I only get breakout these if I accidently eat gluten as in salad dressing, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

How much do you take and what is the brand? I have had a severe rash problem off and on for years. It has recently disappeard, but if it returns, I would like to try it instead of chemicals/drugs. It hasn't been diagnosed as dh, but is definitly gluten related since it went away after going gluten-free. Do you know anything about why it works, perhaps contains an amino acid or nutrient we are missing with the celiac problem? OOps, I see you said 'many brands - all work'

mixmax74 Newbie

Thanks for the tip. Is this something you ingest or apply externally? How much/how often?

Best regards

elkris Newbie
Thanks for the tip. Is this something you ingest or apply externally? How much/how often?

Best regards

Hi,

I have only taken as a pill. I tried the liquid once and found it too yukky a taste. I never thought about putting it on topically but maybe that would work too. I have no idea as to why it works. Guess I'm a gatherer of cures but mainly don't understand the science behind it. I've been meaning to pass this along for years but never got around to looking at the posts.

Ellie

CeliaCruz Rookie

Be careful. I tried flax oil and flax seeds for my eczema a few years ago and it only made it worse. Apparently a LOT of people are allergic to flax. If it works, great. But if you are only getting worse, you might have an allergy to it and you should stop taking it immediately. Also, keep in mind that it has a long half-life in the body so if you are having a reaction and you stop taking it, you might still be seeing symptoms for a few days afterwards.

Guest Robbin

Thanks celia, for the added input- I know a lady allergic to flax and her symptoms WERE eczema! Anyway, I sure miss Wonder Bread too!!!! :)

alexandria Newbie
Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that I've had dh since I was in high school. (I'm almost 59 now) I take many supplements as I am sure we all do. I started taking flax seed oil many years ago and discovered it quickly dries up the dh rash and cuts the itching almost immediately. Please try it. I have never taken dapsone as I can control the rash with flax. I've tried many brands and they all seem to work. I only get breakout these if I accidently eat gluten as in salad dressing, etc.

My husband also has DH. I am excited for him to try the flax oil! You said the itch went away almost immediately? That would be great. Thanks for sharing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dlapham celiac & DH Newbie
Hi All,

I to am 59+ yrs old and have had D/H for over 18 years. I tried sulfapyridine and it sorta worked then I went to dapsone and it did work at 50 mg. once a day. But being the nasty drug that it is, it lowered my RBC and basically all the readings related to my red blood cells. After cutting down to 25 mg a day after being gluten-free for about 3 months, my red count is better (the test was at about 3 months gluten-free, but I am now 5 months gluten-free and will have another test in about one month). Your experience with flax seed oil is most interesting and holds out hope for some of us. I am going to try it as soon as I can pick some up. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Archived