This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hidden Gluten

Guest cassidy

Guest cassidy

I thought I was doing a good job of finding all the hidden gluten, but I wasn't. My herbal tea now has a "contains trace amounts of wheat" label. It is Salada decaf red berry green tea, for any other tea drinkers. Now I'm wondering if there are other things I've not even considered. I've checked all my cosmetics & toiletries and changed a few of those. We have separate pots and pans just because we both had a set when we got married and we both prefer our own. I am still getting myself sick and I can't figure out why. Where did you finally find your last bit of gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nini

Lemondade... some cloudy lemondade mixes have gluten in them (I can't remember the brand, it was a generic)

Generic Soda from the Dollar General store... YIKES!

unless you can verify ingredients with the company, I now avoid GENERICS!!!

Publix grocery store has a great list of all of there generic store brand products that are gluten-free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Where did you finally find your last bit of gluten?

In my pet foods and can opener. I bought a new people only can opener and now check pet food labels as well as human. Wheat is the first or third ingredient in most of them, why?

happygirl Collaborator

certain lunchmeats (like roast beef)

condiments (butter, mayo) in my fridge that were used with gluten foods (we now have separates)

my main one is not a label----but cross contamination through eating out. I have less than a handful of places that I can eat at anymore, I am so sensitive.

good luck!!!!

pumpkin Rookie

Of all things...my dh's mustache. He's a beer drinker and it took me forever to figure out that was the gluten source.

As for the pet food, I use rubber gloves when handling, especially at the barn.

jenvan Collaborator
Of all things...my dh's mustache. He's a beer drinker and it took me forever to figure out that was the gluten source.

Ha ha--that was funny :) But I'm sure it wasn't at the time! (You have a barn--and animals?)

For me, my MAC lip conditioner was a source of hidden gluten.

pumpkin Rookie
Ha ha--that was funny :) But I'm sure it wasn't at the time! (You have a barn--and animals?)

My dh didn't want to believe that it could be him. Ha Ha. I don't have a barn. I ride horses and I sometimes help my trainer feed when I'm at her barn. I do have a red merle Australian shepherd by the name of Boomer...and of all things he's bit wheat sensitive. Good to know about the MAC lip conditioner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

What?!?!!? :o

Does the other MAC stuff have gluten??!

danikali Enthusiast

Let us not forget the dry roasted nuts.

jenvan Collaborator

Chelsea-

Yes, some of their other products do have gluten...as well as many other makeup companies. Unfortunately, I can't recall which products exactly. One of two of MAC's lipstick types definitely have gluten in them--wheat germ oil I believe. If you e-mail them they can provide you with ingredient lists of the products you are using. Oh, just did a search back to when I called and got info on MAC. You may want to ck again but go here to view-I'm the 1st response: Open Original Shared Link

penguin Community Regular
Chelsea-

Yes, some of their other products do have gluten...as well as many other makeup companies. Unfortunately, I can't recall which products exactly. One of two of MAC's lipstick types definitely have gluten in them--wheat germ oil I believe. If you e-mail them they can provide you with ingredient lists of the products you are using. Oh, just did a search back to when I called and got info on MAC. You may want to ck again but go here to view-I'm the 1st response: Open Original Shared Link

Thanks! I don't want to give up mac! I hope the viva glam is gluten-free, I like the charity aspect.

jenvan Collaborator

I'm not sure about that one, but I would definitely check--don't want you licking any gluten off your lips!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Aveda lipstick. I love it, and because it contains peppermint oil, would lick my lips, because it tasted good!

mytummyhurts Contributor
In my pet foods and can opener. I bought a new people only can opener and now check pet food labels as well as human. Wheat is the first or third ingredient in most of them, why?

To make them cheaper. :(

The pet foods that I've seen that are not this way are expensive.

bluelotus Contributor

My hidden source is labels - grrrrr. Generic terms like spices, ____ oil, ____ extract have all caused me problems.

Also, how's this one for you all - b/c we have to worry about things like stickers and glue, what about the stickers and sticker residue on fruits.....??? Scary..... I don't know if these have gluten, but I just realized that these have the potential to be a source.

bknutson Apprentice

Hi you guys, I'm not trying to but in but avon glazewear has gluten in it and wet and wild is ok. So is Bare Esentials.

LLCoolJD Newbie

Someone mentioned the labels on fruit. I slice the things off from below with a knife like I would a bruise on an apple... you can never be too careful.

jerseyangel Proficient

Its funny--I was wondering about the labels on the fruit, too. I just wash it off real well, but cutting it out is a great idea.

Guest nini

the labels on fruit are safe...

RiceCake Newbie
Let us not forget the dry roasted nuts.

What about the dry roasted nuts? I used to eat a ton of those. But the ingredients always say just "almonds".

munchkinette Collaborator

I just found out that MAC Brush Cleanser has some kind of wheat stuff in it. It's a good thing I never used it to wash my makeup brushes.

I'm still grossed out by the fact that preshredded cheese has flour. Ew. That would stop me from eating it even before going gluten-free.

angielackner Contributor
Aveda lipstick. I love it, and because it contains peppermint oil, would lick my lips, because it tasted good!

oh no...are you kidding me?!?!?! i use aveda products exclusively...do you know what else of theirs contains gluten? what about their lipsaver chapstick? please tell me thats clean...it the only chapstick thats ever worked to keep my lips from cracking, and wont completely demolish my oboe reeds if i forget to wipe it off before i play...*freaking out here* :blink::o

angie

Rusla Enthusiast

Pretty well all of aveda products contain some form of wheat. All of their hair products do.

Mahee34 Enthusiast

The biggest shocker that i've had yes not including twizzlers.............IHOP and other places put pancake batter in their egg mix....you'd think you'd be safe with eggs but NO they put this in their eggs to make their omletes look fluffier.........

i never understood why i got sick......even cater places do this so be careful!

munchkinette Collaborator
oh no...are you kidding me?!?!?! i use aveda products exclusively...do you know what else of theirs contains gluten? what about their lipsaver chapstick? please tell me thats clean...it the only chapstick thats ever worked to keep my lips from cracking, and wont completely demolish my oboe reeds if i forget to wipe it off before i play...*freaking out here* :blink::o

angie

I don't think the rosemary mint shampoo/conditioner have wheat, but you'll have to check for sure. I might have only looked on one out of two bottles. Their shampure line does have wheat. :(

I really like the shea butter lipbalm from l'Occitane. I got it at Sephora. It's like $10/stick but it's SO NICE. A cheaper version that really works is the Vitamin E stick from Reviva labs. I got that at whole foods for a few dollars.

Archived